|Network||Geo Television Network|
|Slogan||Har Pal Geo!|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Launched||1 October 2002|
|PTCL Smart TV||TBA|
|HarPal Geo Live||harpalgeo|
Geo Entertainment or Geo Drama is a Pakistani entertainment television channel owned by Geo Television Network was established in May 2002. Its test transmission started on 14 August 2002 on the PAS 10 digital satellite whereas on 1 October 2002 the regular transmission of Geo Entertainment was started.
GEO has been one of the oldest Pakistani networks, and regularly has received good TRPs on various daily soaps, reality series, and drama serials since inception. Geo used to show a lot of daily soaps when it was in its initial years and the soaps got popular too. Some shows from the 2000s that aired on the network which are still recognized include Tere Pehlu Main, Meri Zaat Zarra-e-Benishan, Kaash Main Teri Beti Na Hoti, Tum Ho Kay Chup, Doraha, and various more. The channel continued to do well in ratings but in 2014 the network was banned in the country for promoting blasphemy on its morning show Utho Jago Pakistan. The channel was eventually unbanned but the ratings took a hit and the channel was panned for making below average content, and it took a while for the channel to get back onto the charts with well ratings. In 2017, GEO launched Khaani and the series went on to become a huge success for the network with worldwide success and was later added on Netflix due to its major popularity. Similarly around the same time Ghar Titli Ka Par also was a big success for the network domestically and garnered many views on YouTube as well. The two drama serials helped GEO break ground just like it did before its ban and become the most viewed channel in Pakistan. Since that time, Geo joined hands with 7th Sky Entertainment and has produced various shows that have been record-breaking on television and social media platforms. In 2019, the network created two records for the most watched show in the 9:00 pm slot with the beginning of Bharosa Pyar Tera and ending of Dil-e-Gumshuda , both the series garnered 17.0 TRP In 2020, Munafiq created a record for the most watched show in the 7:00 pm slot with 22.75 TRP, and is also the second highest rated serial in the history of Pakistani television, as well as being in the top trending list in India on YouTube. In recent times, criticism of Geo Entertainment includes the flak for its low picture quality on television compared to HUM HD and ARY Digital which are in higher quality, and making very Indian-ized dramas by copying daily soaps from Indian networks and turning them into weekly drama serials or daily soaps as well in order to get ratings. Popular programming which have gotten ratings as well as international popularity in recent years includes , Mohabbat Tumse Nafrat Hai, Piya Naam Ka Diya, Ramz-e-Ishq, Yaariyan, Meharposh, Aye Dil Tu Bata, Deewangi, Kahin Deep Jalay and many more. The network also has various series on Amazon Prime Video such as Hiddat and Yaar-e-Bewafa.
In May 2014, Geo Entertainment was banned by PEMRA for airing blasphemous content in its morning show Utho Jago Pakistan. Protest was also done in Lahore as people said it is an unlawful ban. While on other hand countrywide protest was done against Geo for airing controversial content.
- "Geo TV Network". DAWN.com. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Blurred vision: Where is Pakistani television headed?". The Express Tribune. Gulraiz Khan. 5 May 2014. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- Baddhan, Raj (11 February 2020). "Geo TV UK to re-run popular Urdu series 'Doraha'". BizAsia | Media, Entertainment, Showbiz, Brit, Events and Music. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- Asad Qureshi, Abdullah Kadwani. "Khaani is a TRP hit".
- Faizan Javed. "Ghar Titli Ka Par: A Superhit".
- "Here are the biggest hits of 7th Sky Entertainment in 2019". Something Haute. 13 February 2020. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- "Drama serial 'Dil-e-Gumshuda' ends with record ratings". Daily Times. 17 November 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- "Abdullah Kadwani of 7th Sky Entertainment talks about the possibility of delays in TV dramas production". Something Haute. 14 April 2020. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- Zubair, Amna (20 February 2019). "5 things that ARY is doing right that Hum and Geo are not". Galaxy Lollywood. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- Haider, Sadaf (7 January 2020). "What made a good drama in 2019? Here are the top picks". Images. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- www.amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Hiddat/dp/B07YNBP48D. Retrieved 17 April 2020. Missing or empty
- "Pemra suspends Geo Entertainment, ARY News licenses". DAWN.com. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "PEMRA serves notice on Geo for controversial content". Daily Times. 16 May 2014. Archived from the original on 31 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Humaima (16 May 2014). "Another Show Cause Notice for GEO TV for Airing Blasphemous Content". Pakistan Tribune. Archived from the original on 31 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Mohammad Ashraf (16 May 2014). "Pakistan's Geo TV under fire for 'blasphemy'". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Demos held against Geo TV". The News. 17 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Protests against unlawful ban on Geo TV go on". The News. 29 May 2014. Archived from the original on 31 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Countrywide protests against Geo for airing 'blasphemous' content". Daily Times. 17 May 2014. Archived from the original on 31 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Ahmad Naveed (17 May 2014). "Massive Protests against Geo TV for Airing Blasphemous Content". Pakistan Tribune. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Countrywide protests against Geo". Pakistan Today. Retrieved 31 May 2014.