Glasgow North (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Glasgow North in Scotland.
|Subdivisions of Scotland||City of Glasgow|
|Member of parliament||Patrick Grady (SNP)|
|European Parliament constituency||Scotland|
Glasgow North is a burgh constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (at Westminster). It elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first-past-the-post voting system.
The Glasgow wards of Firhill, Hillhead, Hyndland, Kelvindale, Maryhill, North Kelvin, Partick, Summerston, Woodlands, and Wyndford.
Glasgow North is one of seven constituencies covering the Glasgow City council area. All are entirely within the council area.
Prior to the 2005 general election, the city area was covered by ten constituencies, of which two straddled boundaries with other council areas. The North constituency includes most of the former Glasgow Maryhill constituency, central sections of the former Glasgow Kelvin constituency and a Kelvindale area from the former Glasgow Anniesland constituency. Scottish Parliament constituencies retain the names and boundaries of the older Westminster constituencies.
The Glasgow North constituency has Glasgow University within its boundaries, and stretches out through Kelvindale to the large Summerston housing development. The largest element of the seat, in terms of former constituency boundaries, comes from the Maryhill constituency, which was a mainly working class seat. The North seat also includes the more middle class areas of Hillhead, Hyndland and Kelvindale.
Members of Parliament
|2005||Ann McKechin||Labour||MP for Glasgow Maryhill until 2005|
|Scottish Green||Patrick Harvie||3,251||9.7||+3.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Calum Shepherd||1,153||3.4||+0.7|
|Scottish Green||Martin Bartos||2,284||6.2||+3.0|
|Liberal Democrat||Jade O'Neil||1,012||2.7||-28.6|
|SNP gain from Labour||Swing||+28.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Katy Gordon||9,283||31.3||+3.9|
|Scottish Green||Martin Bartos||947||3.2||-4.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Amy Rodger||7,663||27.4|
|Scottish Green||Martin Bartos||2,135||7.6|
|Scottish Socialist||Nick Tarlton||1,067||3.8|
Notes and references
- "Fifth Periodical Report". Boundary Commission for Scotland. 2016-04-27. Archived from the original on 2007-09-21. Retrieved 2016-09-07.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "G" (part 1)
- Glasgow Young Scot, 20 Trongate (11 May 2017). "General Election 2017 - Glasgow candidates announced".
- "Glasgow North parliamentary constituency - Election 2017" – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Stewart Paterson (2015-01-31). "SNP and Tory candidates revealed". Evening Time. Retrieved 2016-09-07.
- Stewart Paterson (2015-02-03). "Seven Greens bid for city seats". Evening Time. Retrieved 2016-09-07.
- "Meet Angela McCormick the TUSC candidate for Glasgow North". Socialist Worker. 27 January 2015. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
♯ This reference gives all recent Glasgow City Westminster election results. You select the year and then the constituency to view the result.