|Directed by||Srijit Mukherji|
|Produced by||Mahendra Soni|
|Screenplay by||Srijit Mukherji and Manish Patra|
|Story by||Srijit Mukherji and Manish Patra|
|Based on||Mukherjee Commission hearings|
|Music by||Music and score|
I.N.A. and D. L. Roy
|Edited by||Pronoy Dasgupta and Manish Patra|
Gumnaami is an Indian Bengali mystery film directed by Srijit Mukherji, which deals with Netaji's Death Mystery, based on the Mukherjee Commission Hearings. It has been produced by Shrikant Mohta and Mahendra Soni under the banner of Shree Venkatesh Films. Actor Prosenjit Chatterjee plays the roles of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and Gumnaami Baba.
The film is based on the Mukherjee Commission Hearings and shows a dramatized version of the works of Anuj Dhar, Chandrachur Ghose and the Mission Netaji. The film shows the three theories trying to explain the death or disappearance of Subhas Chandra Bose. The film starts with Subhash Chandra Bose at the Congress Conference. A courageous Subhash disagrees to follow the nonviolent methods of Gandhi and resigns from INC. He then travels the world disguised himself to make allies while confronting the British Army. In 2003, journalist Chandrachur Dhar(Anirban Bhattacharya) is given an assignment for sending reports on Subhash Chandra Bose Death mystery. He takes up the assignment and spends months to gather evidence and knowledge about Bose. His neglecting attitude towards his wife(Tanusree Chakraborty) compelled her to divorce him. Mentally frustrated Dhar quits his job and forms a group entirely dedicated to the purpose for solving the mystery.
At the 2005 Mukherjee Commission he addresses the jury in a bold manner dedicated to bring the truth to the world. According to him, there was no plane crash at all in 1945. Bose had preplanned to fake his death to the world and asked his most trustworthy soldier of INA Habibur Rehman to be with him and not to disclose his fake death to anyone. To support his statement he showed numerous evidence like why he went to a six seater fighter plane when there was already 12-seater plane at that time, like there was no recorded plane crash that year, there was no news of death of the Japanese soldiers. After the judge was convinced that there was no plane crash on the stipulated date but asked where could he have possibly gone. Then he propagated the Siberia journey which was not the case. He lived as an ascetic in Uttar Pradesh without revealing his identity or face, the masses who visited him just used to hear his voice. A few people recognised him as soon as they heard his voice. However, they never revealed it to any third person. Even his sister and her husband recognised him when they visited him and sent letters. It revealed that the family members knew quite well about the fact that he was there ALIVE. Numerous pieces of evidence were lying with them. Local P.D soon came to know but they could not track them. Gumnaami Baba lived long and died on 1985 one morning. Their disciples regretted as they thought where 13 lakh people should have been present at his funeral where only 13 disciples were present.
The next day, the commission gave hearing that there was no plane crash and Bose did not die on 1945. However, the other decisions would be given by the government. In 2006, the Government refused to give any decision on the decision of the commission. Angry and frustrated Dhar burns all his evidence and contemplates the purpose of his hard work of 3 years. His former wife encourages him to fight as Bose did for the country for 30 years. They vowed to keep on fighting till justice is served. This teaches that fighting is more important than victory, and so the fight to do justice to Netaji- by pressuring the government and authorities to bring an end to the mystery -will also go on.
- Prosenjit Chatterjee as Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and Gumnaami Baba
- Anirban Bhattacharya as Chandrachur Dhar
- Tanusree Chakraborty as Ronita Dhar
- Biplab Dasgupta as Mr. Paul
- Shyamal Chakraborty
- Surendra Rajan as Mahatma Gandhi
- Sanjay Gurbaxani as Jawaharlal Nehru
- Akshay Kapoor as Srikant Sharma Kanha
- Satyam Bhattacharya as Habibur Rehman, INA Soldier
- Shibashish Bandopadhyay
- Prantik Banerjee
- Pallavi Chatterjee in Lolita Bose (cameo)
|Gumnaami trailer (in Bengali)|
|Gumnaami trailer (in Hindi)|
The teaser of the film was released on 15 August 2019 by Shree Venkatesh Films. Later, the trailer of the film was released on 8 September 2019 also by Shree Venkatesh Films in Bengali and Hindi.
Release and reception
The director of the film Srijit Mukherji courted a controversy in February 2019, after Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose's grand nephew Chandra Kumar Bose criticized him over portrayal of Gumnami Baba as Netaji in his upcoming film.
- "Gumnaami". The Times of India. 16 August 2019. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- Sarkar, Roushni. "Filmmaker Srijit Mukherji announces film on 'Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose' with Prosenjit Chatterjee". Cinestaan. Retrieved 14 May 2019.
- "Srijit's next is on Gumnami Baba? ?". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- "সৃজিতের ছবিতে 'গুমনামী বাবা' হচ্ছেন প্রসেনজিৎ চট্টোপাধ্যায়?". Zee24Ghanta.com (in Bengali). 21 August 2018.
- "Gumnaami: Shoot for Film Based on Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Begins in Bengal". News18. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- "Gumnaami (गुमनामी) - Teaser (Hindi) - Prosenjit Chatterjee - Anirban Bhattacharya - SVF". YouTube. SVF. 15 August 2019.
- "Gumnaami (গুমনামী) - Trailer - Bengali - Prosenjit Chatterjee - Srijit Mukherji - Anirban - SVF". YouTube. SVF. 8 September 2019.
- "Gumnaami (गुमनामी) - Trailer - Hindi - Prosenjit Chatterjee - Srijit Mukherji - Anirban - SVF". YouTube. SVF. 8 September 2019.
- "Gumnaami Movie Review". Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- "Srijit Mukherji on Netaji film Gumnaami: Put me in jail, will write more scripts". India Today. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- "Srijit Mukherji on Netaji film Gumnaami: Put me in jail, will write more scripts". India Today. 22 February 2019. Retrieved 18 August 2019.