|Babul Supriya Baral|
Babul Supriyo in 2012
|Union Minister of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises|
12 July 2016
|Prime Minister||Narendra Modi|
|Preceded by||G.M. Siddeshwara|
|Union Minister of State for Urban Development,Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation|
9 November 2014 – 12 July 2016
|Member of Parliament|
26 May 2014 – Incumbent
|Preceded by||Bansa Gopal Chowdhury|
15 December 1970 |
Uttarpara, West Bengal, India
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Alma mater||University of Calcutta|
|Occupation||Actor, Playback Singer|
Babul Supriyo, (born 15 December 1970) is an Indian playback singer, actor and politician. Currently he is a Minister of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises, in the Government of India. He made a career as singer in Hindi cinema, and contributed to more than 70 films. He has also done playback singing in other Indian films including Bengali and Odia.
Babul Supriyo was born and brought up in Uttarpara, a small town on the banks of the Hooghly River in West Bengal. His parents are Sunil Chandra Baral and Sumitra Baral. He has a sister, Suparna Baral Chakraborty married to Dipto Chakraborty. They reside in New York with two children Shohom and Disha. Babul comes from a musical family and was greatly influenced by his grandfather, Banikantha NC Baral, a Bengali vocalist and composer. He won several inter-school and inter-college music compositions, and had performed in All India Radio and Doordarshan. He attended Don Bosco Liluah school during which he became an "All India Don Bosco Music Champion" in 1983, and "The Most Enriching Talent" in 1985. He completed his bachelor's degree in commerce from Calcutta University in 1991.
After a brief work at the Standard Chartered Bank, Supryio chose singing as a full-time career. He moved to Mumbai in 1992 to make a career in Bollywood. Kalyanji gave him a break, and took him to perform abroad at their live shows. In 1993 he toured Canada and USA with Amitabh Bachchan. He also toured US with Asha Bhonsle in 1997 and 1999. Besides playback singing, he has also done several stage shows.
His breakthrough came with "Dil Ne Dil Ko Pukara" in Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai in 2000, the debut film of Hrithik Roshan. Some of his other popular Bollywood songs are "Pari Pari Hai Ek Pari" (Hungama), "Hum Tum" (Hum Tum) and "Chanda Chamke" (Fanaa). He is the anchor of the hit television show K for Kishore. He sang the opening themes of Balaji Telefilms serials.
Supriyo won the 2014 Lok Sabha elections as the Bharatiya Janata Party candidate for member of parliament in the Lok Sabha from Asansol in West Bengal defeating Dola Sen. He was inducted to Narendra Modi's government as the Union Minister of State, Ministry of Urban Development; and Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation on 9 November 2014. He became the youngest minister. He served in these ministries till 12 July 2016, after which his portfolio was changed to Minister of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises.
On 10 January 2017, All India Trinamool Congress MLA Mahua Moitra filed a criminal complaint against Supriyo for allegedly insulting her modesty during a national television debate. The next day, Supriyo filed a complaint against Moitra and AITC MPs Saugata Roy and Tapas Paul for falsely accusing him of being involved in the Rose Valley ponzi firm scam.
Supriyo married Ria in 1995. They met at a Shah Rukh Khan concert in Toronto. They have a daughter Sharmilee (born 1999). They got divorced in October 2015. He married for second time on 9 August 2016 to Rachna Sharma, an air hostess of Jet Airways.
- Sochta Hun (2003)
- Kuch Aisa Lagta Hai
- Untitled (2008)
- Kotobaar O Bhebechinu
- Jodi Jantem
- Mone Robe (2011)
- Just Tomake
- What The Folk
As an actor
|2007||Chander Bari||Bengali Film|
|2009||Hitlist||Negative role||Bengali Film|
|2010||Ogo Bodhu Sundori||Bengali Film|
|2014||Mr Joe B. Carvalho||Malik||Debut Hindi Film|
As a playback singer
|1994||Prem Yog||Zindagi Char Din Ki||Bappi Lahiri|
|Kranti Kshetra||Malan Thara Baag Mein
|1996||Agni Sakshi||O Piya O Piya||Nadeem-Shravan|
|Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi||Aaj Meri Zindagi||Anu Malik|
|Shastra||Kuch Hua Re Hua Re||Aadesh Shrivastava|
|Himmatvar||Kitni Chahat Chhupaye Baitha Hoon|
|1997||Saat Rang Ke Sapne||Aati Hai To Chal||Nadeem-Shravan|
|Naseeb||Tumhi Ne Meri Zindagi||Nadeem-Shravan|
|Aar Ya Paar||Jo Hoga Hone Do||Viju Shah|
|Jeevan Yudh||Sun Sajana Tere Bin||Nadeem-Shravan|
|1998||Doli Saja Ke Rakhna||Taram Pam||A.R.Rahman|
|1999||Hello Brother||Hata Saawan Ki Ghata||Sajid-Wajid|
|2000||Bechainee||Tumse Nahin Koi Pyaara Sanam||Charles Srinivasan|
|Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai||Dil Ne Dil Ko Pukara||Rajesh Roshan|
|Dhaai Akshar Prem Ke||Dhaai Akshar Prem Ke
Do Lafzo Mein
Hai Deewane Yeh Ishq Mera
Yeh Sama Yeh Nazare
Koi Taza Hawa
Ek Haseen Ladki
|Tera Jadoo Chal Gayaa||Chori Chori Chupke Chupke||Ismail Darbar|
Man Tera Mera Man
|Kaali Ki Saugandh||Raees|
|2001||Chori Chori Chupke Chupke||Chori Chori Chupke Chupke||Anu Malik|
|Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai||Maine Koi Jadoo
Jabse Dekha Hai
|Yeh Teraa Ghar Yeh Meraa Ghar||Govinda||Anand-Milind|
|Kasautii Zindagii Kay||Kasautii Zindagii Kay||TV series|
|Aamdani Atthanni Kharcha Rupaiya||Style Nasha Tera
|Boond||Goriya Re Goriya Re||Rajendara-Liyaqat|
|Albela||Hai Mera Dil Tu
Sarse Sarak Gayee
|Ittefaq||Main Aashiq Hoon||Dilip Sen-Sameer Sen|
|Dial 100||Sunil Jha & Raja Sen|
|2002||Dil Vil Pyar Vyar||Yeh Jo Mohabbat Hai
Ab Ke Saawan Mein
Kehna Hai (Solo)
|Jeena Sirf Merre Liye||Jeena Sirf Merre Liye
|Kaaboo||Aey Babu||Anchal Talesara|
|Company||Pyar Pyar Mein||Sandeep Chowta|
|Devdas||Babul Bose||Bengali Film|
|Yeh Kya Ho Raha Hai?||Aarzoo||Shankar Ehsaan Loy|
|Kya Yehi Pyaar Hai||Meri Tarah Tum Bhi||Sajid-Wajid|
|Gunaah||Hamne Tumko Dil Ye De Diya
Jab Dil Churaya
|Anand Raj Anand|
|Deewangee||Dholi O Dholi||Ismail Darbar|
|2003||Dil Ka Rishta||Dil Ka Rishta (Sad)||Nadeem-Shravan|
|Hungama||Pari Pari Hai Ek Pari||Nadeem-Shravan|
|Chori Chori||Aate Aate||Sajid-Wajid|
|Out of Control||Tera Chandsa Yeh Chehera
Kudhi Vi Soni
Tu Mera Hai Sanam
|Anand Raj Anand|
|Kucch To Hai||Hai Rey||Anu Malik|
|Leena On The Chhuk Chhuk Mix||Leena O Leena
Tum Aa Gaye Ho
Chhookar Mere Mann Ko
Meri Pyaari Behniya
|Harry Anand||Remix video which had TV actor Eijaz Khan in his first few roles|
|DJ Hot Remix||Kehdoon Tumhain||Harry Anand||Remix video which had TV actor Eijaz Khan in his first few roles|
|Escape from Taliban||Rimil Baba||Babul Bose|
|Ek Aur Ek Gyarah||Yeh Mann Mera Bada Hi Chaliyan||Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy|
|Andaaz||Aayega Maza Ab Barsaat Ka||Nadeem-Shravan|
|Zameen||Bas Ek Baar||Himesh Reshammiya|
|Wrong Number||Kabhi Jabhi Koi Chehra||Daboo Malik|
|2004||Plan||Aane Wala Pal||Anand Raj Anand|
|Hum Tum||Hum Tum||Jatin-Lalit|
|DJ Hot Remix Vol.2 & The Return Of Kaanta Mix||Tere Jaisa Yaar Kahaan
Yeh Kaali Kaali Aankain
Vaada Karo Nahi Chhodogi Tum Meraa Saath
Khizaan Ke Phool Pe
Leena O Leena
|Harry Anand||Remix album|
|Naam Gum Jaayegaa||Tera Palkein Jo Uthin||Anand-Milind|
|Suno Sasurjee||Saason Se Saasein||Sanjeev Darshan|
|Sweet Honey Mix||Pardesiya||Harry Anand||Remix album|
|Miss Spicy Mix||Pardesiya
Aaj Rapat Jaayn
|Harry Anand||Remix album featuring Rakhi Sawant in one of her first few roles|
|Baby Love – Ek Pardesi Mera Dil Le Gaya||Lekar Hum Deewanaa Dil
Yeh Raat Bheegi Bheegi
|DJ Aqeel – Disco 82||Disco 82||DJ Aqeel||Remix album|
|Play Gal Mix||Mere Piya Gaye Rangoon (Version 2)||Harry Anand||Remix album|
|Rok Sako To Rok Lo||Haan Mujhe Thaam Le
Rok Sako To Rok Lo
|2005||Vaada||Main Ishq Uska||Himesh Reshammiya|
|DJ Hot Remix Vol 3||Aray Yaar||Harry Anand||Remix album|
|Chaahat – Ek Nasha||Dil Ki Baat||Anand Raj Anand|
|Chehraa||Kabhi Khamosh Baithogi||Anu Malik|
|Zameer||Dil Ke Badle Dil To
Tere Pyar Ne Deewana
Zindagi Ke Faisle Mein
|DJ Hot Remix Vol 4||Pardesiya
Khizzaan Ke Phool Pe
|Harry Anand||Remix album|
|Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya||Teri Meri Love Story||Himesh Reshammiya|
|71/2 Phere||Tera Saath Hai Kitna Pyare||Shantanu Moitra|
|Bombay Vikings – Zara Nazron Se Kahdo||Kehdoon Tumhain
Khizzaan Ke Phool Pe
Leena O Leena
|Harry Anand||Remix album|
|Sanober & The Masti Express||Pardesiya||Harry Anand||Remix album|
|Vivah||Hamari Shaadi Mein||Ravindra Jain|
|Rakhi Bandhili Mo Rakhiba Mana||Malay Misra||Odia film|
|Mantra Shakti||Jackson & Shakeer|
|2007||Laaga Chunari Mein Daag||Zara Gungunalein Chalo||Shantanu Moitra|
|To Bina Mo Kahani Adha||Kholide Tora Gabhaa
Sabuthu Alagaa Aama Prema
|Santiraj Khosla||Odia film|
|2008||10:10||Kolkata||Drono Acharya||Bengali Film|
|2009||Antaheen||Pherari Mon||Shantanu Moitra||Bengali Film|
|Sanam Hum Aapke Hain...||Dil Ne Jo Bhi Kaha Maine Manna||Manoj – Vijay|
|Diwana||Malay Misra||Odia film|
|2011||Balunga Toka||Abhijit Mazumdar||Odia film|
|2012||Rang||Ye To Mumqeen Nahin||Nadeem-Shravan||Album of Nadeem-Shravan|
|2013||Paribeni Kehi Alaga Kari||Odia film|
Awards and honours
- 2002: Honorary citizenship by the State Council of Atlanta.
- 2002: Bengal Film Journalists' Association Awards: Best Male Playback for Tak Jhal Mishti
- 2004: Kalakar Awards – Best Playback Singer for Mayer Anchal
- 2006: Bengal Film Journalists' Association – Best Male Playback Award for Subho Drishti.
- 2016: Walked at Grande finale show of Indian Federation for Fashion Development's India Runway Week season 6 for designer Agnimitra Paul
- "Sixteenth Lok Sabha Members Bioprofile: Baral,Shri Babul Supriya (Babul Supriyo)". Lok Sabha Secretariat.
- "Babul Supriya (Babul Supriyo) Baral". National Portal of India. Archived from the original on 22 February 2015. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "From now on I will be known as a minister's mother: Babul Supriyo's mother". dna. Diligent Media Corporation Ltd. 9 November 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Babul Supriyo: Small-Town Boy, Banker, Playback Singer and Now Minister". NDTV. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Minister of State for Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation". Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation. Archived from the original on 22 February 2015. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Babul Supriyo: Meteoric rise for a small town boy". The News Minute. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- Ashok Chatterjee (28 November 2002). "The rise and rise of Babul Supriyo". The Times of India. Retrieved 14 November 2007.
- "Straight Answers". The Times of India. 18 March 2002. Retrieved 14 November 2007.
- "Babul Supriyo: Artist, Singer". iMusti,com. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- Layak, Suman. "200 days of Modi govt: First-time BJP MP Babul Supriyo may be PM's point person for West Bengal". The Economic Times. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Singer Babul Supriyo is BJP Candidate from Asansol for Lok Sabha Polls". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Najma Heptulla, G M Siddeshwara resign from Modi Cabinet", India Today, 12 July 2016
- "Why Najma Heptulla, G M Siddeswara were forced to quit Modi Cabinet", Business Standard, 13 July 2016
- TMC MLA Mahua Moitra accuses Babul Supriyo of insulting her modesty, Union Minister laughs it off | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis. Dnaindia.com (10 January 2017). Retrieved on 2017-01-16.
- Rose valley chit fund case: Babul Supriyo sends defamation notices to TMC leaders for linking him to scam. The Indian Express (11 January 2017). Retrieved on 2017-01-16.
- "News headlines". Daijiworld. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- Dasgupta, Priyanka (1 June 2006). "Split wide open". The Times of India. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Narendra Modi attends Babul Supriyo Racha Sharma Marriage". India Today. 9 August 2016. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "69th & 70th Annual Hero Honda BFJA Awards 2007". bfjaawards.com. Archived from the original on 23 December 2007. Retrieved 8 July 2015.