Healthcare in California
California State Department of Health Care Services
The California Department of Health manages state government projects in California.
As of 2018, most of the insured in California were in plans regulated by the California Department of Managed Health Care (DMHC) with about 60% regulated by either DMHC or the California Department of Insurance (CDI).
As of 2018, about one-third of California was covered by Medi-Cal, which is California's Medicaid program. It is administered by the California Department of Health Care Services, which operates it in accordance with California's Medicaid State Plan and Title XIX of the Social Security Act.
As of 2015, about 14.1 million people were insured privately, including in self-funded plans; 1.3 million were in plans regulated by the CDI and 12.7 million were in plans regulated by the DHMC. Kaiser Permanente had about 50% of the market, followed by Blue Shield of California, Anthem Blue Cross, and Health Net (a subsidiary of Centene).
California has hospitals serving every part of the state.
Healthcare by region
Los Angeles offers all available health care services.
San Francisco Bay Area
In 2018, a lawsuit was filed against Sutter Health for alleged antitrust.
- "Issue Brief: Estimates of Sources of Health Insurance in California for 2019" (PDF). California Health Benefits Review Program.
- "California's Medicaid State Plan (Title XIX)". California Department of Health Care Services.
- "The Private Insurance Market in California, 2015". California Health Care Foundation. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "Evolving Market Share Of Health Plans In Covered California -". IMK. 2018-10-09. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- Bartolone, Pauline; Gorman, Anna; News, Chad Terhune Kaiser Health. "Anthem's retreat leaves Californians with fewer choices, more worries". The Sacramento Bee. ISSN 0890-5738. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "Hospital consolidation in California linked to higher health prices - SFChronicle.com". www.sfchronicle.com. 2018-09-05. Retrieved 2019-05-17.
- "Suit against Sutter spawns fight with Bay Area hospitals over trade secrets - SFChronicle.com". www.sfchronicle.com. 2018-10-15. Retrieved 2019-05-18.