|Single by Steve Winwood|
|from the album Back in the High Life|
|Released||20 June 1986|
|Recorded||Unique Recording Studio
New York, 1985
|Genre||Pop, blue-eyed soul|
|Length||5:45 (Album Version)
4:14 (Single Version)
|Label||Island - IS 288|
|Steve Winwood singles chronology|
"Higher Love" is a 1986 song by Steve Winwood. It was the first single released from his fourth solo LP, Back in the High Life. It was written by Winwood and Will Jennings, and produced by Russ Titelman and Winwood. The female vocals on the song were performed by Chaka Khan, who also appeared in the promotional music video.
"Higher Love" was Winwood's first Billboard Hot 100 number-one hit, topping the chart for one week. It was preceded by Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach" and followed by "Venus" by Bananarama. The song also spent four weeks atop the US Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart. It peaked at number 13 in the United Kingdom, his highest charting solo hit there. It also earned two Grammy Awards for Record of the Year and Best Male Pop Vocal Performance.
The music video, which uses the shorter single version, was shot in June 1986 by directors Peter Kagan and Paula Greif. The same duo shot an almost identical video for Duran Duran's "Notorious" in November of that year; coincidentally, both videos were nominated for several awards at the 1987 MTV Video Music Awards though neither won. Chaka Khan appears in the video, as does Nile Rodgers, who plays guitar with the backing band.
Appearances in media
- The song was used in the closing credits of the hit 1988 film Big Business.
- It was also featured in an episode of the television drama Cold Case, "Time to Crime".
- The song was used in an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia titled "Sweet Dee Has a Heart Attack" which aired 30 October 2008.
- This song was used in the 1987 film Stakeout.
- This song was used in the original 1987 debut of 21 Jump Street.
- This song was featured in the Grand Theft Auto V Soundtrack, on the radio station Los Santos Rock Radio.
- Steve Winwood – vocals, synthesizer, sequencer programming, drum machine programming
- Jimmy Bralower – additional drum machine programming
- Andrew Thomas – PPG Wave Term synthesizer programming
- David Frank – synth horns
- Eddie Martinez – lead guitar
- Nile Rodgers – rhythm guitar
- Philippe Saisse – synth bass
- John Robinson – drums
- Carole Steele – tambourine, congas
- Chaka Khan – backing vocals
7": Island / IS 288 United Kingdom
- "Higher Love" - 4:14
- "And I Go" 4:12
12": Island / 12 IS 288 United Kingdom
- "Higher Love" (Remix) - 7:45
- "Higher Love" (Instrumental) - 6:05
- "And I Go" 4:12
- Tracks 1 and 2 remixed by Tom Lord-Alge
12": Island / PRO-A-2507 United States
- "Higher Love" (Edit) - 4:08
- "Higher Love" (LP Version) - 5:45
- US Promo 12"
- Steve Winwood website album details
- Songfacts - Back In The High Life Again entry
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
"Papa Don't Preach" by Madonna
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
30 August 1986
"Venus" by Bananarama
"Mad About You" by Belinda Carlisle
|Canadian RPM number-one single
13 September 1986
"Friends and Lovers" by Gloria Loring and Carl Anderson