|Industry||Local homeowner services|
|Founder||Rodney Rice, Michael Beaudoin|
|Brandon Ridenour, CEO|
|Services||Home improvement marketplace|
Number of employees
HomeAdvisor is a digital marketplace that connects homeowners with prescreened, local service professionals to complete home improvement, maintenance and remodeling projects 
HomeAdvisor also offers homeowners home improvement project planning resources like True Cost Guide, where customers can view average project costs. HomeAdvisor is a free resource for homeowners, and a paid network for service professionals 
According to the company, professionals registered on HomeAdvisor network are prescreened and must pass criminal and financial background checks.
On October 2, 2017, HomeAdvisor merged with Angie’s List to form ANGI Homeservices (NASDAQ: ANGI), the world’s largest digital marketplace for home services. ANGI Homeservices operates 10 brands in eight countries, including HomeAdvisor, Angie’s List, mHelpDesk, HomeStars (Canada), MyHammer (Germany), MyBuilder (UK), Werkspot (Netherlands), Instapro (Italy) and Travaux.com (France).
HomeAdvisor, launched as ServiceMagic, was founded in 1998 by Rodney Rice and Michael Beaudoin who were part of the founding management team of Einstein Bros Bagels. In 2004, InterActive Corp (NASDAQ: IAC) acquired the website for an undisclosed price.
In January 2008, IAC appointed Craig Smith as CEO of ServiceMagic Inc. He was the Senior Vice President of the company’s Consumer Division. Co-founders Rodney Rice and Michael Beaudoin became co-chairmen and advisors. ServiceMagic remained part of the parent company when IAC split into five publicly traded companies.
In October 2008, ServiceMagic acquired the French business 123Devis.com and Travaux.com, as well as UK business 123GetAQuote.co.uk to create ServiceMagic Europe. In March 2009, the UK business was rebranded as ServiceMagic.co.uk.
After rebranding, then-CEO Chris Terrill told StreetFight Magazine, “We’re the only network for this type of on-demand service.” 
In 2013, HomeAdvisor acquired Werkspot.nl, the leading Dutch home improvement platform.
By 2015, HomeAdvisor had achieved more than $300 million in annual revenue, been used by more than 30 million homeowners, had nearly 100,000 pre-screened service professionals in its network and almost 3 million verified reviews.
In 2016, HomeAdvisor acquired the German home services company, MyHammer.
On May 1, 2017, HomeAdvisor parent company IAC announced they entered into a definitive agreement to combine IAC’s HomeAdvisor and Angie’s List into a new publicly traded company, to be called ANGI Homeservices, Inc.
On October 2, 2017, HomeAdvisor merged with Angie’s List to form ANGI Homeservices (NASDAQ: ANGI), the world’s largest digital marketplace for home services.
Following the merger, on Oct. 2, 2017, Chris Terrill, CEO of ANGI Homeservices Inc., commented on HomeAdvisor’s size to the Indianapolis Business Journal, “Scale is so important in this business. The more scale you have, the better you can roll out innovative products…scale matters, because, frankly, if you’re a homeowner you want to go where the best pros are – the most pros are – and if you’re a pro, you want to go where the best homeowners are and the most homeowners are.”
Of the acquisition, Terill said “It was a truly natural, synergistic combination where we could leverage what we did really well, take a lot of that traffic and do a better job of monetizing that, and helping those folks coming to Angie’s List find the help they need faster, more easily and more efficiently.
HomeAdvisor currently employs a Home Expert, Dan DiClerico.
Instant Booking, launched in 2015 allows homeowners to instantly schedule appointments with service professionals and “eliminate phone tag between the provider and homeowner, which is how the service worked before.”
Instant Connect, a service where “homeowners are contacted by a HomeAdvisor specialist via phone within one to two minutes.”
Same Day Service allows homeowners to instantly schedule an appointment to complete their home project the same day.
HomeAdvisor also integrates smart devices like Apple Watch and Amazon Echo.
In 2015, HomeAdvisor won Best Design from Best Mobile App Awards.
Several news articles have reported on the screening process of HomeAdvisor, investigating possible loopholes available to contractors that have been used by criminals. Denver investigative reporter Heidi Hemmat wrote one such story about a client that used a contractor recommended by HomeAdvisor to put in a concrete driveway. The recommended "local" company did not complete the work, demanded payment upfront and any work that was performed needed to be redone. The company recommended was from Avon CO and did not have a business license.
Although HomeAdvisor currently has a BBB rating of A-, the rating had been as low as a "B", in 2017. There are over 600 negative reviews of the service on the BBB website. 
Homeadvisor has also received data security concerns over its use of Home Improvement Industry practices known as Pay Per Lead Services. HomeAdvisor collects users data when a request is made and then sells that data to local contractors in exchange for money. The homeowner is typically unaware when their data is being sold and there is no filter or information of whom the data will be offered to.   
- Marino-Nachison, David (8 November 2018). "ANGI Homeservices Rises as a New CEO Prepares to Step In".
- Avery, Greg (February 20, 2015). "HomeAdvisor provides instant connection to contractors". Denver Business Journal.
- Voung, Andy (September 28, 2012). "Golden's ServiceMagic becomes HomeAdvisor in risky rebranding strategy". Denver Business Journal.
- Chuang, Tamara (May 1, 2017). "HomeAdvisor's parent buying struggling rival Angie's List". Denver Post.
- Chuang, Tamara (November 13, 2015). "HomeAdvisor targets Denver for next big project: corporate relocation". Denver Post.
- McGowan, Dan (December 7, 2015). "HomeAdvisor Announces New Indy Office". Inside Indiana Business.
- Chuang, Tamara. "HomeAdvisor targets Denver for next big project: corporate relocation". Denver Post.
- "HomeAdvisor opening Colorado Springs office, plans to hire 100 employees". Denver Post. March 2015.
- Chuang, Tamara (October 2, 2017). "Golden-based HomeAdvisor completes purchase of Angie's List, goes public, grows 33 percent in a day". Denver Post.
- Perez, Sarah (January 21, 2016). "Waldo Raises $5 Million For A Photo-Finding Platform Targeting Professional Photographers & Events". TechCrunch.
- "IAC/InterActiveCorp Acquires ServiceMagic, Inc". IAC. July 22, 2004.
- "ServiceMagic: Tale of Dot-Com Survivor" (PDF). The Kelsey Group. September 23, 2004.
- "IAC's ServiceMagic Buys Market Hardware". BIA Kelsey. January 29, 2009.
- Ruth, Joao-Pierre (September 13, 2016). "HomeAdvisor CEO: The Marketplace for Home Services Is 'Operationally Intense'". StreetFight.
- "HomeAdvisor Acquires Leading Dutch Home Improvement Platform Werkspot.nl". PRWEB. April 8, 2013.
- Moorhead, Patrick (July 15, 2015). "lAC's HomeAdvisor Is One To Watch In The Growing "Humans As A Service" (HaaS) Business". Forbes.
- Chuang, Tamara (October 16, 2016). "HomeAdvisor expands to Germany with purchase of MyHammer". Denver Post.
- Avery, Greg (2017). "HomeAdvisor buys Canada's big home improvement site". Denver Business Journal.
- McCaffrey, Erin (March 27, 2017). "HomeAdvisor buys UK home services marketplace MyBuilder". Seeking Alpha.
- Cao, Jing (May 1, 2017). "IAC to Buy Angie's List in Deal Valued at Over $500 Million". Bloomberg.
- Briggs, James (October 2, 2017). "HomeAdvisor CEO says Angie's List layoffs are done; now it's time to 'reignite the brand'". IndyStar.
- Council, Jared (October 2, 2017). "ANGI Homeservices CEO seeks to position Angie's List brand for 'future growth'". Indiana Business Journal.
- Gorman, Patrick (October 3, 2017). "ANGI Homeservices CEO on Bringing a New Brand to Life". Chief Executive.
- Weiker, Jim (August 10, 2017). "Here are 10 things you might find in your future home". Columbus Dispatch.
- Duryee, Tricia (August 11, 2015). "HomeAdvisor rolls out new booking feature to eliminate playing phone tag with contractors". GeekWire.
- Jacobson, Julie (May 24, 2017). "Smart Thermostats: 50% of Consumers Who Think They Can Install DIY … End Up Calling a Pro". CEPro.
- Wagner, Kurt (October 19, 2016). "Facebook wants you to buy movie tickets and order pizza from its app". ReCode.
- Risley, James (April 14, 2016). "Alexa, call me a plumber: HomeAdvisor adds Amazon Echo integration". GeekWire.
- "HomeAdvisor Named A Denver Post "Top Workplace" For Fifth Consecutive Year". :PRWEB. April 10, 2017.
- "Winner of 2015 Summer Awards - Best Mobile App Design". Best Mobile App Awards.
- "Best Places to Work 2016: HomeAdvisor". Kansas City Business Journal.
- Butler, Kelsey (June 26, 2017). "How HomeAdvisor is building the foundation for growth". IndyStar.
- "Website that Claims to Pre-Screen Contractors May Leave Customers with a False Sense of Security". Fox31 Denver. November 19, 2014.
- "Home Advisor BBB (DP-1):". BBB. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- "Hire a Handyman, risk identity theft". Individual. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- "What you need to know before signing with homeadvisor". Handyman Pro Advisor. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- "HomeAdvisor Lawsuit, why contractors want their money back". Roof Calculator. Retrieved August 2, 2018.