J. Stuart Adams
|J. Stuart Adams|
|Member of the Utah Senate
from the 22nd district
|Preceded by||Greg Bell|
|Political party||Republican Party|
|Alma mater||University of Utah|
Stuart Adams is the Senator for the Utah State Senate's 22nd District. Adams was appointed to the Utah House of Representatives in 2002, and then to the Senate in 2009. In 2012, he was chosen to be Senate Majority Whip.
Personal life, education, and career
Adams earned his Bachelor of Arts at the University of Utah in business finance. He is a business man by profession. Adams is married to his wife, Susan and they have four children together. In 2002, he was awarded the Business Person of the Year by the Utah State Chamber of Commerce, and as the Builder of the Year by the Northern Wasatch Home Builders Association. Adams previously served as the President of the Northern Wasatch Home Builders Association.
Adams is a former chairman of the Utah State Transportation Commission. He served as chairman of the Military Installation Development Authority (MIDA). Prior to his legislative service, Adams served 9 years on the Layton City Council.
Adams served 4½ years in the Utah State House of Representatives (June 19, 2002 – December 31, 2006). He commenced his service in the Senate on September 16, 2009. He was appointed to both of these positions. In 2004, [then Representative] Adams was named the 2004 Legislator of the Year by the Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce, the 2004 Legislator of the Year by the International Code Council, and 2004 Representative of the Year by the Davis County Republican Women.
In 2014, Adams served as the Majority Whip. He also served on the following committees:
- Executive Appropriations Committee
- Higher Education Appropriations Subcommittee
- Public Education Appropriations Subcommittee
- Senate Revenue and Taxation Committee
- Senate Transportation and Public Utilities and Technology Committee
2014 sponsored legislation
In 2014, Adams was the primary sponsor for these bills.
|Bill Number||Bill Title||Bill Status|
|S.B. 67 S001||Amendments to Public Utilities Title||Governor Signed 4/1/2014|
|S.B. 74||Career and Technical Education Funding for Charter Schools||Senate/filed 3/13/2014|
|S.B. 148 S001||Upstart Program Amendments||Governor Signed 3/28/2014|
|S.B. 184 S001||Local Government Inspection Amendments||Governor Signed 3/29/2014|
|S.B. 187||Highway Rights-of-way Amendments||Governor Signed 3/28/2014|
|S.B. 193 S001||Naturopathic Practice Act Amendments||Governor Signed 3/28/2014|
|S.B. 198||Law Enforcement Exemption for Medical Information||Governor Signed 3/31/2014|
|S.B. 209||School Grading Revisions||Governor Signed 4/1/2014|
|S.B. 237||Urban Farming Amendments||Governor Signed 4/1/2014|
|S.B. 240||Carson Smith Scholarship Amendments||Governor Signed 3/31/2014|
|S.B. 242||Alternative Energy Amendments||Governor Signed 4/1/2014|
|S.B. 243||Air Quality Programs||Senate/filed 3/13/2014|
|S.B. 264 S001||Retention of Outside Counsel, Expert Witnesses, and Litigation Support Services||Governor Signed 3/29/2014|
Adams also floor sponsored the following bills:
- HB0074S01 Energy Efficient Vehicle Tax Credits
- HB0102S01 Assessment Area Amendments
- HB0115 Condominium and Community Association Lien Amendments
- HB0133S01 Contingent Management for Federal Facilities
- HB0152 Highway Sponsorship Program Act
- HB0155S01 Utah Communication Agency Network and Utah 911 Committee Amendments
- HB0171S01 Natural Gas Facilities Amendments
- HB0212 DNA Collection Amendments
- HB0220S02 Land Use Amendments
- HB0286S02 Child Sexual Abuse Prevention
- HB0292 School Grading - Calculation of High School Graduation Rate
- HB0356S01 New Convention Facility Development Incentive Provisions
- HB0396 Association Open Meeting Amendments
- HB0422S01 Initiative and Referendum Impact Disclosure
- HB0426 Retirement Participation Modifications
- HJR005 Uniform Building Code Commission Review of Proposed Building Code Changes Joint Resolution
- Romero, McKenzie. "Utah GOP chooses legislative leadership". Deseret News, November 8, 2012. Retrieved on May 13, 2013.
- "Adams, J. Stuart". Salt Lake City: Utah State Senate. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "J. Stuart Adams' Political Summary". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "Stuart Adams: Proven Results. Clear Choice". Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- Utah.gov. "Governor Appoints Stuart Adams to Utah State Senate". September 16, 2009. Retrieved on May 13, 2013.
- "Adams, J.S. Sponsored Legislation". Utah State Senate. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- Utah State Legislature – Senator Stuart Adams Official website
- Campaign Website – Senator Stuart Adams (UT) Personal website