|Governorate||Ramallah & al-Bireh|
|• Type||Village council|
|Name meaning||Jibia, from personal name|
Pottery sherds from the early Ottoman era have been found here. In the spring of 1697, Henry Maundrell noted two "Arab villages," first "Geeb" and then "Selwid," both on the west side of the road on the way south from Nablus to Jerusalem. Edward Robinson identified these two villages as Jibiya and Silwad.
In 1863 Victor Guérin noted it as a small village, with a shrine, dedicated to a Sheikh Baiezed. An official Ottoman village list from about 1870, listed Dschibija as having 12 houses and a population of 39, though the population count included men, only.
In 1896 the population of Dschibja was estimated to be about 84 persons.
British Mandate era
In 1945 statistics, the population was 90, all Muslims, while the total land area was 1,666 dunams, according to an official land and population survey. Of this, 100 were plantations and irrigable land, 815 for cereals, while 4 dunams were classified as built-up areas.
After the 1995 accords, 51.4% of village land is defined as Area B land, while the remaining 48.6% is defined as Area C. Israel has confiscated land from Jibiya in order to construct Israeli bypass roads 4 and 566, to Israeli settlements.
- Palmer, 1881, p.230
- Jibiya Village Profile, ARIJ, p. 4
- Finkelstein et al, 1997, p. 399
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 290
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, 322
- Röhricht, 1887, p.222
- Maundrell, 1703, p. 63: March 25, 1697
- Robinson and Smith,1841, vol 3, pp. 80-81
- Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 3, appendix 2, p. 125
- Guerin, 1869, p. 37
- Socin, 1879, p. 153 It was also noted as part of the Beni Zeid district
- Hartmann, 1883, p. 106 also noted 12 houses
- Schick, 1896, p. 124 Schick mistakenly wrote that this place was not in Socin
- Barron, 1923, Table VII, Sub-district of Ramallah, p. 16
- Mills, 1932, p. 49.
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 26
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 64
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 112
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 162
- Jibiya Village Profile, ARIJ, p. 15
- Barron, J.B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, C.R.; Kitchener, H.H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology. 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Finkelstein, I.; Lederman, Zvi, eds. (1997). Highlands of many cultures. Tel Aviv: Institute of Archaeology of Tel Aviv University Publications Section. ISBN 965-440-007-3.
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics (1945). Village Statistics, April, 1945.
- Guérin, V. (1869). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine (in French). 1: Judee, pt. 3. Paris: L'Imprimerie Nationale.
- Hadawi, S. (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Hartmann, M. (1883). "Die Ortschaftenliste des Liwa Jerusalem in dem türkischen Staatskalender für Syrien auf das Jahr 1288 der Flucht (1871)". Zeitschrift des Deutschen Palästina-Vereins. 6: 102–149.
- Kampffmeyer, Georg (1893). "Alte Namen im heutigen Palästina und Syrien". Zeitschrift des Deutschen Palästina-Vereins. 16: 1 -71. (p. 30)
- Maundrell, H. (1703). A Journey from Aleppo to Jerusalem: At Easter, A. D. 1697. Oxford: Printed at the Theatre.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E.H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Robinson, E.; Smith, E. (1841). Biblical Researches in Palestine, Mount Sinai and Arabia Petraea: A Journal of Travels in the year 1838. 3. Boston: Crocker & Brewster.
- Röhricht, R. (1887). "Studien zur mittelalterlichen Geographie und Topographie Syriens". Zeitschrift des Deutschen Palästina-Vereins. 10: 195–344.
- Schick, C. (1896). "Zur Einwohnerzahl des Bezirks Jerusalem". Zeitschrift des Deutschen Palästina-Vereins. 19: 120–127.
- Socin, A. (1879). "Alphabetisches Verzeichniss von Ortschaften des Paschalik Jerusalem". Zeitschrift des Deutschen Palästina-Vereins. 2: 135–163.