Vitters with the Iowa Cubs
|Third baseman/ Left fielder|
August 27, 1989 |
|August 5, 2012 for the Chicago Cubs|
(through 2014 season)
|Runs batted in||5|
Joshua Warren Vitters (born August 27, 1989) is an American professional baseball third baseman in the Colorado Rockies organization. He played for the Chicago Cubs of Major League Baseball (MLB) in 2012.
Vitters was an AFLAC All-American Prep Third Baseman for Cypress High School in Cypress, California. He was also named the Gatorade Baseball Player of the Year for California in 2007. Vitters committed to attend Arizona State University on a scholarship, to play for the Arizona State Sun Devils baseball team.
Draft and Minors
The Chicago Cubs drafted Vitters with the third overall selection of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft. He made his professional debut with the Rookie-level Arizona Cubs of the Arizona League. He currently plays for the Chicago Cubs' Triple-A affiliate, the Iowa Cubs. On 2014 April 3, he hit his first home run for the Iowa Cubs in a 10-2 loss to the Memphis Redbirds.
Vitters was selected to appear in the 2009 All-Star Futures Game. In mid-2009, the Cubs promoted Vitters from the Peoria Chiefs of the Class A Midwest League to the Daytona Cubs of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League. He spent the 2010 season with Daytona and the Tennessee Smokies of the Class AA Southern League.
Major league play
The Cubs promoted Vitters and fellow prospect Brett Jackson from the Iowa Cubs of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League on August 5, 2012. He made his Major League debut later that day as a pinch hitter in the seventh inning against the Los Angeles Dodgers  Vitters' first MLB hit was a double against the San Diego Padres August 7, 2012, pinch hitting for pitcher Jeff Beliveau in the seventh inning, scoring both Steve Clevenger and Darwin Barney. His first major league home run was August 20, 2012 in the fifth inning against Mark Rogers of the Milwaukee Brewers.
Josh's brother, Christian, played minor league baseball.
- AFLAC All American, Josh Vitters - 2007[dead link]
- "Cubs select third baseman Josh Vitters with third pick of First-Year Player Draft". Chicago Cubs. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "SI.com - Writers - With power to all fields, Vitters a natural at the plate - Wednesday April 25, 2007 1:10PM". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "2007 Draft Tracker". MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- Draft Report for Josh Vitters
- 2007 MLB.com Draft Tracker
- "Notes: Vitters adjusting to pro game | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. May 24, 2013. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "Chicago Cubs' prospect Josh Vitters playing it California cool - ESPN Chicago". Sports.espn.go.com. July 4, 2009. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "Vitters out to accelerate climb to big leagues - Chicago Tribune". Articles.chicagotribune.com. October 31, 2010. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "Cubs call up Vitters, Jackson". Chicago Tribune. August 5, 2012. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "MLB.com Gameday | MLB.com: Gameday". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "Vitter's first career homer". mlb.com. MLB/Cubs. Retrieved September 29, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Rotoworld report