Kakira Thermal Power Station

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Kakira Power Station)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Kakira Power Station
Kakira Thermal Power Station is located in Uganda
Kakira Thermal Power Station
Location of Kakira Thermal Power Station
Country Uganda
Location Kakira, Jinja District
Coordinates 00°30′32″N 33°17′24″E / 0.50889°N 33.29000°E / 0.50889; 33.29000Coordinates: 00°30′32″N 33°17′24″E / 0.50889°N 33.29000°E / 0.50889; 33.29000
Status Operational
Commission date 2007
Owner(s) Kakira Power Company
Thermal power station
Primary fuel Bagasse
Power generation
Units operational 2 x 4 MW
2 x 6 MW
2 x 16 MW
Nameplate capacity 52 MW

Kakira Power Station is a 52 megawatt bagasse-fired thermal power plant in the town of Kakira in Jinja District in the Eastern Region of Uganda.


The power station is located on the Madhvani Estate, adjacent to Kakira Sugar Works, the flagship of the business conglomerate. This location is approximately 16 kilometres (9.9 mi), by road, northeast of Jinja, the largest city in the sub-region.[1]


The power station is owned and operated by Kakira Energy Company, a subsidiary of the Madhvani Group. The station is designed and built around the sugar manufacturing plant of Kakira Sugar Works (KSW), the flagship company of the group. The fibrous residue from the process of crushing sugar cane, known as bagasse, is burnt to heat water in boilers and produce steam. The steam is pressurized and used to drive turbines, which then generate electricity. The excess heat is used in the sugar manufacturing process. The power station is capable of producing 52 megawatts of power at maximum capacity.

About 16 megawatts (31 percent) of the power generated is used by the factories and businesses of the group located on their 9,500 hectares (37 sq mi) business estate at Kakira. The other 36 megawatts (69 percent) of the power generated, is sold to Uganda's national electricity grid. The power station has been operational since 2005, originally with a 6 megawatt generator. In 2006, a new additional 16 megawatt generator was installed and went online in 2007.[2] More equipment added between 2011 and 2013 increased the capacity to 52 megawatts.[3]

Recent developments[edit]

The New Vision newspaper, Uganda's English daily, reported in July 2012 that KSW would increase the electricity output at the power station from 22 megawatts to 52 megawatts by June 2013.[4] That same information was repeated in February 2013, in the Daily Monitor, another Ugandan daily publication.[5] It is expected that 20 megawatts (38.5 percent) of the power generated will be used internally and the remaining 32 megawatts (61.5 percent) will be sold to the national grid.[6]

As of November 2013, KSW was in the middle of a US$75 million (about UGX:191 billion) upgrade and expansion. US$30 million (about UGX:76 billion) will be raised through a 10-year corporate bond on the Uganda Securities Exchange and the rest will be sourced from local banks. When the upgrade was completed in 2017, the cogeneration capacity of the power station was increased from 22 megawatt to 52 megawatts.[7]

In October 2014, the station was granted an electricity production license for 20 megawatts by the Electricity Regulatory Authority. It means that, of the 52 megawatt produced by the power station, 32 megawatts is used internally and 20 megawatts is sold into the national electric grid.[8][9]

See also[edit]


  1. ^ "Distance Between Jinja and Kakira With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 13 July 2014. 
  2. ^ Mukose, Abubaker (12 June 2006). "Electricity From Sugarcane". New Vision. Retrieved 13 July 2014. 
  3. ^ Senelwa, Kennedy (17 January 2015). "Kakira Set To Produce Ethanol In 2016". The EastAfrican (Nairobi). Retrieved 17 January 2015. 
  4. ^ Kiirya, Donald (1 October 2012). "Kakira Sugar Limited for US$65 Million Expansion". New Vision. Retrieved 13 July 2014. 
  5. ^ Mufumba, Isaac (16 February 2013). "Kakira In Shs165 Billion Expansion". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 17 January 2015. 
  6. ^ Kiirya, Donald (22 February 2013). "Kakira To Produce 52MW of Power From Sugar Waste". New Vision. Retrieved 13 July 2014. 
  7. ^ Kulabako, Faridah (15 November 2013). "Kakira Sugar Issues Shs76 Billion Bond to Raise Capital for Expansion". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 13 July 2014. 
  8. ^ Sanya, Samuel (22 October 2014). "ERA Licenses 9 Renewable Energy Projects". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 23 October 2014. 
  9. ^ ERA (21 April 2015). "Kakira Sugar Limited Signs A Financing Agreement for GET FiT Support". Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERA). Retrieved 1 June 2015. 

External links[edit]