A 651-1000 series EMU on a Kusatsu service, March 2014
|Service type||Limited express|
|Locale||Tohoku Main Line, Takasaki Line, Joetsu Line, Agatsuma Line|
|First service||1 June 1960 (Semi express)
14 March 1985 (Limited express)
|Current operator(s)||JR East|
|Class(es)||Green + Standard|
|Rolling stock||651-1000 series EMUs|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Electrification||1,500 V DC overhead|
|Operating speed||110 km/h (70 mph)|
Since the start of the revised timetable on 15 March 2014, Kusatsu services have been formed of modified 651-1000 series EMUs, which replaced the 185 series trains previously used on these services.
The Kusatsu service began on 1 June 1960 as a semi express between Ueno and Naganohara (now Naganohara-Kusatsuguchi). This was upgraded to become a limited express service from 14 March 1985. From the start of the revised timetable on 15 March 2014, the 185 series EMUs used on these services were replaced by modified 651-1000 series EMUs displaced from Super Hitachi services on the Joban Line.
Kusatsu 50th anniversary
In September 2010, 185-200 series 7-car EMU set OM03 was repainted into the Shōnan colour scheme of orange and green (never previously carried by this type) to recreate the appearance of the early 80 series EMUs, as part of the 50th anniversary celebrations of the Kusatsu limited express service scheduled for October.
- JR新幹線＆特急列車ファイル [JR Shinkansen & Limited Express Train File]. Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun. 2008. ISBN 978-4-330-00608-6.
- ２０１４年３月ダイヤ改正について [March 2014 timetable revision details] (pdf). News release (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. 20 December 2013. p. 4. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- 列車名鑑1995 [Train Name Directory 1995]. Japan: Railway Journal. August 1995.
- "185系OM03編成が湘南色に" [185 series set OM03 repainted into Shōnan livery]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Koyusha Co., Ltd. 18 September 2010. Retrieved 19 September 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kusatsu (train).|
- JR East 185 series Akagi/Kusatsu/Minakami (Japanese)