List of cities in Turkmenistan
This is a list of cities in Turkmenistan. For a full list of settlements see the list of cities, towns and villages in Turkmenistan.
Which municipalities are categorized as "cities" is established by law in Turkmenistan. Cities fall into three categories: one city equivalent to a province (the capital city, Ashgabat), cities "equivalent to a district" (Turkmen: etrap hukukly), and cities "in a district" (Turkmen: etrapdaky). By law cities equivalent to a district must have a population of more than 30,000 and must be either a provincial capital or be one of the economic, cultural and administrative centers in its province. Cities "in a district" are subordinated to the district (etrap) government and are administered jointly. By law they must have a population of more than 8,000, and must possess industrial enterprises, construction and transport organizations, utilities, municipally owned housing stock, socio-cultural institutions, trade and social services. The government maintains a list of municipalities broken out by category, but publishes this list irregularly, and does not post it online. An authoritative list of Turkmenistan's municipalities based on published official Turkmen decrees and laws is on the OpenStreetMap wiki. The most recent published version of the list was released in 2012.
Districts and cities with district status are headed by a presidentially appointed häkim (district governor or city mayor). Two cities in Turkmenistan, Ashgabat and Turkmenbashy, are further subdivided into boroughs with district status, each with its häkim. Cities "in a district" and towns are headed by an elected council (Turkmen: geňeş) chaired by an arçyn, who serves as both council chair and mayor.
Municipalities designated as cities
Unless otherwise annotated, population figures are as of 2010 (estimate). Provincial capitals are bolded.
- List of renamed cities in Turkmenistan
- List of cities, towns and villages in Turkmenistan
- OpenStreetMap: Turkmenistan Geoname Changes
- OpenStreetMap: Districts in Turkmenistan (authoritative list of all municipal structures as of 5 January 2018)
Notes and references
- "Turkmenistan § Administrative_Structure". Retrieved 10 April 2021.
- Çaryýew, B.; Ilamanow, Ýa. (2010). Türkmenistanyň Geografiýasy. Ashgabat: Türkmenistanyň Bilim Ministrligi.
- "Districts in Turkmenistan". Retrieved 10 April 2021.
- "Türkmenistanyň Mejlisiniň 2010-njy ýylyň 10-njy maýynda kabul eden № 112-1V kararyna GOŞUNDY Türkmenistanyň dolandyryş>çäk birlikleriniň SANAWY" (PDF). 27 August 2012. pp. 77–141.
- formerly Çärjew
- formerly Gyzylarbat
- formerly Krasnovodsk
- formerly Gowurdak
- formerly Atamyrat
- formerly Ýylanly
- formerly Gazanjyk or Gazandzhyk
- formerly Guşgy
- formerly Çarşaňňy
- formerly Garrygala
- formerly Galkynyş
- "Всесоюзная перепись населения 1989 г. Численность городского населения союзных республик, их территориальных единиц, городских поселений и городских районов по полу". Retrieved 10 April 2021.
- formerly Täzebazar
- formerly Birata
- formerly Kirovsk
- formerly Bekdash
- formerly Gyzyletrek
- formerly Oktyabrsk
- formerly Karabekaul
- formerly Yuzhnyy
Media related to Cities in Turkmenistan at Wikimedia Commons