List of colleges and institutes in Madurai district
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This is a list of the colleges and institutes in Madurai district.
Madurai has been an academic centre of learning of Tamil culture, literature, art, music and dance for centuries.All three assemblies of the Tamil language, the Tamil Sangam (about the 3rd century BC to the 3rd century CE), were held at Madurai. The American College in Madurai is the oldest college in the city and second oldest college in Tamil Nadu, established in 1881 by American Christian missionaries. The Lady Doak college, established in 1948, is the oldest women's college in Madurai. The Madura College (established in 1889), Fatima College (established in 1953) and M.S.S.Wakf Board College (established in 1964) are among the oldest educational institutions of the city. Vivekananda College, Tiruvedakam West, established in 1971, is the only residential college run in the gurukula pattern of education. Madurai Kamaraj University (originally called Madurai University), established in 1966, is the state run university that has 109 affiliated arts and science colleges in Madurai and neighbouring districts. There are 47 approved institutions of the university in and around the city consisting of autonomous colleges, aided colleges, self-financing colleges, constituent colleges, evening colleges and other approved institutions. There are seven polytechnics and five Industrial training institutes (ITIs) in Madurai, with the Government ITI and the Government Polytechnic for Women being the most prominent of them all.Fire and Safety Training Provided by Ideal industrial Training Institute (IITI) Located in Krihsnapuram colony, The government institutes, namely, the Madurai Medical College and the Homoeopathic Medical College, along with the 11 paramedical institutes constitute the medical and paramedical paradigm of Madurai. There are seven engineering colleges in Madurai affiliated to Anna University, with the Thiagarajar College of Engineering being the oldest of all. The Madurai Law College, established in 1979, is one of the seven government law colleges in the state, administered by the Tamil Nadu Government Department of Legal Studies, and affiliated to the Tamil Nadu Dr. Ambedkar Law University. There are three teacher training institutes, two music colleges, three management institutes and 30 Arts & Science colleges in Madurai. The agricultural college and research institute in Madurai, started in 1965, by the state government provides agricultural education to aspirants in the southern districts of Tamil Nadu. There are a total of 369 primary, secondary and higher secondary schools in the city.
Arts and Science colleges
- Ambiga College of Arts & Science for women
- Lady Doak College
- Fatima college
- Arul Anandar College, Karumathur
- E.M.G. Yadava Women's College
- M.S.S.Wakf Board College (The only college in India run by a Wakf board)
- Nadar Mahajana Sangam S. Vellaichamy Nadar College, Nagamalai
- The American college
- The Madura College
- Thiagarajar College
- Yadava College, Thirupalai
- PKN Arts and Science College, Thirumangalam
- Madurai institution of social sciences
Polytechnics & Catering colleges
- Tamil Nadu Polytechnic College (An Autonomous & NBA Accredited institution)
- Ambika Matriculation School
- T.V.S. Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- St. Joseph's Girls Hr. Sec. School, Chinthamani.
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Narimedu
- Lakshmi School ICSE.
- M.N.U.Jayaraj Nadar Higher Secondary School, Nagamalai pudhukottai.
- Mahatma Montessori Matriculation Higher Secondary School.
- sri vidhyalayam matriculation higher secondary school, s.s.colony.
- Nadar Higher Secondary School,South Gate, Madurai.
Computer Training Institutes
Linux Training Institutes Redhat Linux Training
Winways Infomatics Pvt Ltd, Madurai.
Redhat Linux Authorized Training Partner