List of states and union territories of India by area
The following is a list of states and union territories of the Republic of India by area from largest to smallest according to the census of 2011. India consists of 28 states and 9 union territories.
Source:Area of states
In August 2019, Rajya Sabha passed resolution of dividing Jammu and Kashmir into two Union Territories, Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) and Ladakh.
- List of political and geographic subdivisions by total area
- List of states and union territories of India by population
- States and union territories of India
- Ladakh is a disputed territory between India, Pakistan and China. Areas claimed by India including Aksai Chin region administered by China have been excluded from the total area.
- Jammu and Kashmir is a disputed territory between India, Pakistan and China. Areas claimed by India including Azad Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan that are administered by Pakistan and Shaksgam Valley region administered by China have been excluded from the total area.
- The shortfall of 7 km2 (2.7 sq mi) area of Madhya Pradesh and 3 km2 (1.2 sq mi) area of Chhattisgarh is yet to be resolved by the Survey of India.
- Disputed area of 13 km2 (5.0 sq mi) between Puducherry and Andhra Pradesh is included in neither.
- The area figures of states and union territories do not add up to area of India because:
- The shortfall of 7 km2 area of Madhya Pradesh and 3 km2. area of Chhattisgarh is yet to be resolved by the Survey of India.
- Disputed area of 13 km2 between Puducherry and Andhra Pradesh is neither included in Puducherry nor in Andhra Pradesh.
- Area figures do not include the areas claimed by India that are in Pakistani or Chinese administrative control. This includes 78,114 km2 of area in Azad Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan under Pakistani administration, 5,180 km2 of area in Shaksgam Valley ceded to China by Pakistan and 37,555 km2 of area in Aksai Chin under Chinese administration totalling to 120,849 km2.
- "Indian states and territories census" (PDF). Govt. of Bihar. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- "Area of Indian states" (pdf). Government of Andhra Pradesh. p. 598.
- "AP at a Glance". Official portal of Andhra Pradesh Government. Retrieved 31 May 2019.
- "Official site of the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, India". Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Rajya Sabha Passes Resolution to Scrap Article 370". News18. 5 August 2019. Retrieved 5 August 2019.
- "Country Profile: India" (PDF), Library of Congress Country Studies (5th ed.), Library of Congress Federal Research Division, December 2004, retrieved 30 September 2011