Fragment of Uncial 0191, 6th century bilingual Greek-Coptic manuscript of the Gospels with text of Luke 11:51-12:5
|Book||Gospel of Luke|
|Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Bible part||3|
Luke 12 is the twelfth chapter of the Gospel of Luke in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. It records a number of teachings and parables told by Jesus Christ. The book containing this chapter is anonymous but early Christian tradition uniformly affirmed that Luke composed this Gospel as well as Acts.
- The original text is written in Koine Greek.
- Some most ancient manuscripts containing this chapter are:
- This chapter is divided into 59 verses.
This chapter can be grouped (with cross references to other parts of the Bible):
- Luke 12:1-3 = Beware of Hypocrisy (Matthew 10:26-27)
- Luke 12:4-7 = Jesus Teaches the Fear of God (Matthew 10:28-31)
- Luke 12:8-12 = Confess Christ Before Men (Matthew 10:32-33; Matthew 10:19-20)
- Luke 12:13-21 = The Parable of the Rich Fool
- Luke 12:22-34 = Do Not Worry (Matthew 6:25-34,19-21)
- Luke 12:35-48 = The Faithful Servant and the Evil Servant (Matthew 24:43-51)
- Luke 12:49-53 = Christ Brings Division (Matthew 10:34-36)
- Luke 12:54-56 = Discern the Time
- Luke 12:57-59 = Make Peace with Your Adversary (Matthew 5:25-26)
An abbreviated version of the parable also appears in the non canonical Gospel of Thomas (Saying 63) and this parable has been depicted by artists such as Rembrandt, Jan Luyken, James Tissot, and David Teniers the Younger.
- But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Cross reference: Matthew 6:33
- Sermon on the Mount
- Sermon on the Plain
- Ministry of Jesus
- Parables of Jesus
- Other related Bible parts: Matthew 5, 6, 10, 24
- Halley, Henry H. Halley's Bible Handbook: an abbreviated Bible commentary. 23rd edition. Zondervan Publishing House. 1962.
- Holman Illustrated Bible Handbook. Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville, Tennessee. 2012.
- Gospel of Thomas: Lamb translation and Patterson/Meyer translation
- Luke 12:31
|Chapters of the Bible
Gospel of Luke