Manly Sea Life Sanctuary
An overview of Manly Sea Life Sanctuary when it was known as Oceanworld Manly
|Date closed||28 January 2018|
|Location||Manly, New South Wales, Australia|
|Volume of largest tank||4,000,000 L (880,000 imp gal; 1,100,000 US gal)|
Manly Sea Life Sanctuary (formerly Oceanworld Manly) was a public aquarium located in Manly, Australia. It featured sharks, giant stingrays, sea turtles, little penguins and other marine life. It also allowed guests to take part in Shark Dive Xtreme, where they could swim with grey nurse sharks over three metres long.
The sanctuary originally opened in 1965, as Marineland. It was refurbished and reopened in 1989 as Underwater world. It was purchased and renovated by Coral World International, and re-opened as Oceanworld in 1992. After its renovation, the aquarium boasted the longest aquarium tunnel in the world, at 110 metres (361 ft). The aquarium was sold to the Sydney Aquarium Company (later Sydney Attractions Group) in 1999 to be operated as a branch of the Sydney Aquarium. In February 2008, Village Roadshow Theme Parks acquired the Sydney Attractions Group. In December 2010, Merlin Entertainments acquired the Sydney Attractions Group division of Village Roadshow Theme Parks. On 28 June 2012, the attraction officially relaunched as Manly Sea Life Sanctuary following a renovation which saw the addition of the Penguin Cove exhibit. It closed on 28 January 2018.[why?]
Manly Sea Life Sanctuary was made up of three exhibits: Penguin Cove, Shark Harbour and Underwater Sydney.
- Penguin Cove – Manly Sea Life Sanctuary's newest exhibit. The exhibit is home to a colony of little penguins.
- Shark Harbour – a 4,000,000-litre (880,000 imp gal; 1,100,000 US gal) aquarium featuring a variety of sharks, stingrays, turtles and tropical fish. An upcharge attraction known as Shark Dive Xtreme exists within this exhibit and allows guests to swim with the sharks and other marine life.
- Underwater Sydney – a section of Manly Sea Life Sanctuary which features rock pools, seahorses, octopus and lionfish.
- Eriksson, Boel (28 August 2012). "Junior oceanologists start at Manly Sea Life Sanctuary". The Manly Daily. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Oceanworld Manly". myfun.com.au. MyFun. Archived from the original on 29 July 2010. Retrieved 30 July 2010.
- "Oceanworld and Shark Dive XTreme Product Profile 08-09" (PDF). manlyaustralia.com.au. Oceanworld Manly. Retrieved 28 August 2010.[dead link]
- "Oceanworld Manly". coralworld.com. Coral World International. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- Wilson, Richard (5 February 2008). "Sydney Attractions say accept". Parkz. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- Australian Associated Press (17 December 2010). "Village Roadshow sells Sydney Attractions". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Little Penguins are welcomed to their brand new exhibit, Penguin Cove". E Travel Blackboard. 28 June 2012. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- Final weekend for Manly Sea Life Sanctuary Manly Daily 27 January 2018
- "Penguin Cove". Manly Sea Life Sanctuary. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Shark Harbour". Manly Sea Life Sanctuary. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Shark Dive Xtreme". Manly Sea Life Sanctuary. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Underwater Sydney". Manly Sea Life Sanctuary. Retrieved 27 September 2012.