Sir Mark Moody-Stuart KCMG (born 15 September 1940) is a British businessman, He was appointed non-executive chairman of Anglo American PLC in 2001, serving until 2009. He has been chairman of Hermes Equity Ownership Services since 2009.
He is a former chairman of Royal Dutch Shell and a director of HSBC Holdings and of Accenture. He is chairman of the Foundation for the Global Compact and was a director of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) until December 2007. He is a director of Saudi Aramco. He was knighted in 2000 (KCMG).
Moody-Stuart became a managing director of Shell Transport and Trading Company plc in 1991 and was chairman of Royal Dutch/Shell from 1998-2001. He was succeeded by Sir Philip Watts.
In February 2008, he hit the headlines with a call for a ban on "gas-guzzlers".
Family and education
He was born in Antigua, and educated at Shrewsbury School and at St. John's College, Cambridge, where he obtained a PhD on a thesis on the Devonian sediments of Spitsbergen. He became a Fellow of this College in 2001.
In 1964, he married Judy McLeavy. They have three sons and a daughter.
Career with Shell
- 1966 Joined Shell
- Geologist in Spain, Oman and Brunei
- 1972 Chief Geologist in Australia
- 1976 Leader of North Sea exploration teams, Shell UK Expro
- 1976 Manager, Western Division Shell Petroleum Development Company, Nigeria.
- 1979 General Manager, Turkey
- 1982 Chairman and Chief Executive, Malaysia
- 1990 Exploration and Production Co-ordinator
- 1991 Group Managing Director
- 1998 Chairman of the Committee of Managing Directors of the Royal Dutch/Shell Group 
- 2001 Gave up Chair of Shell but remained on the Board
- 2005 Retired from Shell
- Responsible Leadership: Lessons From the Front Line of Sustainability and Ethics, Greenleaf Publishing, 2014. ISBN 9781906093969
- Anglo American website listing NEDs. See also Guardian article, 22 April 2007, on Anglo, after its AGM
- Who's who, accessed 30 September 2012
- HEOS website
- List of Board members on official Global Compact website, accessed 13 May 2007
- BBC News Green Room website: Mark Moody Stuart Society depends on more for less. (Accessed 5 February 2008
- Who's who accessed online 13 May 2007
- Speakers at TERIIN Conference, accessed 13 May 2007
|Chairman of the Committee of Managing Directors
of Royal Dutch Shell
John Southwood Jennings
|Chairman of Shell Transport and Trading