Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
|Formed||1993 (as Industry Canada)|
Department responsible for
|Annual budget||CAD$ 4.9 billion (2015)|
|Deputy Minister responsible||
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (French: Innovation, Sciences et Développement économique Canada), or ISED, formerly Industry Canada, is the department of the Government of Canada with a mandate of fostering a growing, competitive, knowledge-based Canadian economy. The Department headquarters are located at the C.D. Howe Building at 235 Queen Street in Ottawa, Ontario.
Upon the November 2015 installation of the 29th Canadian Ministry, led by newly-elected Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, the position of Minister of Industry was re-named Minister of Innovation, Science, and Economic Development, and Industry Canada was subsequently re-named Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.
Officials and structure
Agencies, boards and offices
The Department oversees several agencies and boards including the :
- Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI)
- Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO)
- Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)
- Canada Research Chairs (CRC)
- Computers For Schools (CFS)
- Copyright Board of Canada
- Corporations Canada
- Electronic Commerce Branch
- Measurement Canada
- Office of the Registrar of Lobbyists
- Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy
- Spectrum Management and Telecommunications: standards and certification for radio apparatus and equipment
- The Communications Research Centre (CRC) Canada
- Canadian Space Agency
- Statistics Canada
- Canada Tourism Commission
- Business Development Bank of Canada
- National Research Council of Canada
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- Standards Council of Canada
- National broadband plans from around the world
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
- Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec
- Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency
- Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
- Western Economic Diversification Canada
- Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario
Certifications and approvals
- Technical Acceptance Certificate (TAC) for Category I radio and broadcasting equipment 
- "Public Accounts of Canada 2015 Volume II Section 16 - Industry Ministry summary" (html). Government of Canada. 2015. Retrieved 21 Feb 2017.
- "Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat". Report on Plans and Priorities. Government of Canada. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Trudeau government renames key departments". CTV News. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- "What happened to Industry Canada? Trudeau elevates scientific research in new cabinet role". Financial Post. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- Certification of Radio Apparatus and Electronic Equipment in Canada