This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Country of origin||India|
|Distribution||Azerbaijan, Brazil, Colombia, China, Ecuador, Guatemala, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Nepal, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Viet Nam, Venezuela|
The Murrah buffalo is a breed of water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) mainly kept for milk production. It originates in Punjab and Haryana states of India, where it is kept in the districts of Bhiwani, Hisar, Rohtak, Jind, Jhajhar, Fatehabad, Gurgaon and the capital region of Delhi. A Murrah buffalo at the Lakshmi Dairy Farm in Punjab set a record of 26.335 kg of milk in the 2016 National Livestock Competition and Expo.
It has been used to improve the milk production of dairy buffalo in other countries, such as Italy, Bulgaria and Egypt. In Brazil this breed of buffalo is used for production of meat and also milk. Murrah breed of buffalo sells for a high price.
The Murrah buffalo is jet black in colour, sometimes with white markings on the face or legs. Eyes are black, active and prominent in females but slightly shrunken in males and should not be walled i.e. cornea should not have whiteness. Neck is long and thin in females and thick and massive in males. Ears are short, thin and alert.
They typically have short and tightly curved horns. Bulls weigh around 550 kg (1,210 lb) and cows around 450 kg (990 lb). Average milk production is 2200 litres in a lactation period of 310 days.
The following institutes have ongoing research programs to enhance and disseminate the Murrah breed:
- The Central Institute for Research on Buffaloes in Hisar is the premier research institute in India for improving the Murrah buffalo breed and for disseminating Murrah buffalo semen to farmers and buffalo breeders for fertilization of cows. It has cloned a Murrah buffalo to replicate the high quality breed.
- National Dairy Research Institute is an agro-dairy university in Karnal.
- Philippine Carabao Center in the Philippines breeds Murrah buffaloes for adapting them to the local tropical conditions.
- List of water buffalo breeds
- List of Indian cattle breeds
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI)
- Government Livestock Farm, Hisar, research and dissemination institute to improve the feed for cattle to enhance the milk yield, situated next to the CIRB Hisar.
- "Murrah Buffalo". Archived from the original on 7 February 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2016.
- "Murrah buffalo sets record with 26.33 kg milk". tribuneindia.com. 16 January 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- Moioli, B. and A. Borghese (2016). Buffalo Breeds and Management Systems. Istituto Sperimentale per la Zootecnia (Animal Production Research Institute).
- Meet 'Lalima' - the 7th buffalo cloned by National Dairy Research Institute, DNA News.
- Murrah in Bulgaria.
- Brazil, Haryana to work on Murrah breed development, Times of India.
- "Andhra Pradesh farmer buys Haryana murrah buffalo for Rs 25L - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 11 August 2013. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "Rs 40-lakh-a-year hurrah for owner of this Murrah!". Hindustan Times. 17 February 2014. Archived from the original on 19 August 2014. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "Murrah". ansi.okstate.edu. Archived from the original on 20 October 2014. Retrieved 13 August 2011.
- "Murrah Buffalo". bharathidairyfarm.com.
- CIRB website
- 50 years of Indian agriculture, page 245
- "लुवास का भैंस फार्म देश का सर्वश्रेष्ठ केंद्र घोषित (Hisar LUVAS Buffalo farm best in the nation).", Dainik Jagran, 25 July 2017.
- Training on Advanced Buffalo Husbandry organized at CIRB, Hisar
- Syed Mohmad Shah, Manmohan Singh Chauhan. 2017 Reproduction in Buffalo: Natural and assisted reproductive techniques, Notion Press, Chennai.
- Bulgarian Murrah
- Nauni University At Rank 12 Among Agri Research Institutes Of Country
|This cattle-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|