Netaji Subhas Open University
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
|Netaji Subhas Open University|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Subha Shankar Sarkar|
|Location||DD-26, Sector-I, Salt Lake, Kolkata, West Bengal-700064|
|Affiliations||UGC and DEC|
It was established in 1997 to commemorate the birth centenary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose. It has its headquarters at 1, Woodburn Park, Kolkata - 700020, once the residence of Netaji. Its medium of instruction are English and Bengali. Modeled on the Open University, UK and the IGNOU, it offers courses in different disciplines of taught graduate and post-graduate study and is one of the largest growing distance education universities in eastern India.
- Chancellor: His Excellency Shri Keshari Nath Tripathi, Governor of West Bengal.
- Vice-Chancellor: Prof. Subha Shankar Sarkar
- Registrar: Prof. Debesh Roy
- Controller of Examinations: Mrs. Rokeya Ray
- School of Science.
- School of H&SS.
- School of Education.
- School of Vocational Studies.
The university functions from the following campuses:
- Netaji Subhas Open University, DD-26, Sector I, Salt Lake, Kolkata 700064 (Headquarters of all administrative works)
- Netaji Subhas Open University, 1st Floor, K2, Bidhan Nagar Fire Station, Sector-V, Salt Lake, Kolkata 700091 (School of Sciences, Publications, Online and Video-Conferencing Units)
- Netaji Subhas Open University, 25/2, Ballygunge Circular Road, Kolkata 700019 (School of Education)
- Netaji Subhas Open University, 2nd Floor, 134/1, Meghnad Saha Sarani, Kolkata 700029 (School of Professional and Technological Studies, Office of the Controller of Examinations and Centre for Language Studies)
- Regional Centre, Netaji Subhas Open University, Kalyani Ghoshpara, Kalyani—741235 (University's first eco-friendly green campus)
- Netaji Subhas Open University, 24/8, Garcha 1st Lane, Kolkata 700019 (Transmission Centre of FM Channel Gyan Vani).
- Ben Fish Bhavan, Salt Lake (another Print and Publication Section).
At present, the university is continuing its work with 141 Study Centres. In near future more study centres will be opened.
The following programmes are offered by Netaji Subhas Open University.
- Second Degree Programme
- Undergraduate Honours Courses
- Postgraduate Courses
- PhD Programmes
Besides NSOU offers various certificate, diploma and postgraduate diploma courses.
The Central library of Netaji Subhas Open University is located at the Golpark Campus of the University (2nd Floor, 134/1, Meghnad Saha Sarani, Kolkata-29). Library facilities are also available at its Study Centres.
Accreditation & Recognition
- Recognized by University Grants Commission (UGC).
- Recognized by Distance Education Council, Govt. of India.
- Recognized by other State Universities in West Bengal.
- The University is a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- The University is a member of the Association of Asian Open Universities (AAOU).
- The University is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU).
To provide individualized support to its students, NSOU has large number of Study Centres throughout West Bengal.
NSOU uses a variety of methods for distance learning:
1. Self Instructional Material: Self instructional study materials are distributed to the students through the Study Centres.
2. Audio-Video CD: Audio and video cassettes of a specific programme are supplied to the Study Centres. The audiotapes are run and video cassettes are screened at the Study Centres.
3. Personal Contact Programme: Instruction are imparted through self-instructional study materials and Personal Contact Programme. The Personal Contact Programme is generally held on Saturdays and Sundays.
4. Gyan Vani FM Channel: NSOU started the Gyan Vani FM, Kolkata, a radio channel on 105.4 MHz.
5. Interactive Radio Counselling: The University broadcasts different subjects on 4th Sunday of every month through All India Radio (AIR) at Kolkata B. Apart from the regular classes various topics on Awareness Programme; Support Services Special Programme of National importances are also broadcast.
- Netaji Subhas Open University wins Commonwealth award The Hindu November 16, 2006
- Official website of Netaji Subhas Open University
- Open Repository, Memory of Bengal Partition, An initiative of Netaji Subhas Open University