Paraguay at the 2014 Winter Olympics
|Paraguay at the|
2014 Winter Olympics
|NOC||Comité Olímpico Paraguayo|
|Competitors||1 in 1 sport|
Julia Marino (opening)|
|Winter Olympics appearances (overview)|
Paraguay competed at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia from 7 to 23 February 2014. Paraguay made its debut at the Winter Olympics. The Paraguayan team consisted of one athlete competing in freestyle skiing.
According to the final quota allocation released on January 20, 2014, Paraguay has one athlete in qualification position. Julia Marino was born in Paraguay but was adopted by an American family at the age of six months, and has lived there ever since. Marino had to go through the process of creating the Paraguayan ski federation and be released from the American team before officially qualifying to compete for the country.
Julia Marino competed in the women's slopestyle qualification round and finished in 17th place overall (out of 22 athletes), which was not good enough to advance. When asked about competing at the 2018 Winter Olympics she replied that she was still young and would 100% compete for Paraguay. With a single athlete competing in a single event, the country did not win a medal at these Games.
|Run 1||Run 2||Best||Rank||Run 1||Run 2||Best||Rank|
|Julia Marino||Women's slopestyle||36.40||25.60||36.40||17||Did not advance|
- Vincent, Gordon (6 December 2013). "Winchester's Marino is first Winter Olympian from Paraguay". Middlesex East. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony - Flagbearers" (PDF). olympic.org. Sochi 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Organizing Committee. 7 February 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Sochi 2014 Closing Ceremony - Flagbearers" (PDF). The International Olympic Committee (IOC). February 23, 2014. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Plumb, Taryn (29 December 2013). "Competing in Olympics for Paraguay". Boston Globe. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- O'Neil, Devon (18 December 2013). "Meet Paraguay's First Winter Olympian". http://xgames.espn.go.com/. ESPN. Retrieved 10 January 2014. External link in
- "Summary of Quota allocation as per 20.01.2014" (PDF). www.fis-ski.com. FIS. 20 January 2014. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "Sochi Olympics: Paraguayan-American Julia Marino Is Making History In Slopestyle Skiing". Fox News. 6 February 2014. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Sochi Scene:She'll be back". Associated Press. Krasnaya Polyana, Sochi: Houston Chronicle. 11 February 2014. Retrieved 11 February 2014.