Portishead Point Lighthouse
Portishead Point Lighthouse also known as Battery Point Lighthouse
|Year first constructed||1931|
|Construction||metal skeletal tower|
|Tower shape||square pyramidal tower enclosed with balcony and light|
|Markings / pattern||black tower, white basement|
|Tower height||9 metres (30 ft)|
|Focal height||9 metres (30 ft)|
|Range||16 nautical miles (30 km; 18 mi)|
|Characteristic||Q (3) W 10s.|
|Managing agent||Bristol Port Company|
Portishead Point Lighthouse, which is more commonly known as Battery Point Lighthouse, in Portishead, Somerset, England was built in 1931.
A two tonne fog bell, cast by Gillett & Johnston of Croydon, which used to hang on the structure was removed in 1998. Following public campaigning for restoration the bell was acquired by Portishead Town Council and returned to the town in 2012. It is installed in Wyndham Way close to the High Street.
- Portishead Point Archived 11 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 28 April 2016
- "Portishead Point Lighthouse". Worldwide lighthouses. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- "Battery Point Lighthouse" (PDF). Portishead and North Weston Town Council Newsletter. September 2010. Archived from the original on 8 June 2015. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- "Old lighthouse bell hasn't tolled yet for town". This is Bristol. Archived from the original on 5 May 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- Fowler, Tracey (17 April 2012). "Lighthouse bell to return home". Weston, Worle and Somerset Mercury. Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- "Portishead Point A5484 – Bristol Channel, UK". The Lighthouse Duo. Archived from the original on 9 September 2010. Retrieved 1 December 2009.
- "Notice to marners (No 32 of 2012) Portishead light refurbishment". The BRistol Port Company. Retrieved 23 September 2012.[permanent dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Portishead Lighthouse.|
|This European lighthouse-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|