Private Internet Access
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Initial release||August 2010|
|Type||Virtual private network|
Private Internet Access (PIA) is an open source personal virtual private network (VPN) service. It supports WireGuard and OpenVPN. In 2018, former Mt. Gox CEO Mark Karpelès was named chief technology officer of PIA's parent company, London Trust Media.
The CEO of Private Internet Access (and its parent company, London Trust Media, Inc.) is Ted Kim. The company was founded by the American-born Andrew Lee, who has been named the official successor to the throne of the House of Yi (Lee), the ruling former house of the Joseon dynasty. Lee, who dropped out of college before graduating, started his own online business which eventually became Private Internet Access. London Trust Media also owns the Freenode IRC network.
On November 18, 2019, Private Internet Access announced that it would be merged into Kape Technologies, which operates two competing VPN services, Cyberghost and Zenmate. Some users objected to the acquisition, as Kape (under its former name, Crossrider) previously developed browser toolbars bundled with potentially unwanted programs.
PIA offers several features, including DNS leak protection and IPv6 leak protection. It includes a connection kill switch to prevent traffic going elsewhere when VPN gets disconnected. It is possible to access services via UDP and TCP. PIA offers also unlimited bandwidth and Port forwarding. They operate VPN gateways in 97 locations across 76 countries.
Private Internet Access supports the AES (128-bit or 256-bit) specifications, SHA1 and SHA256 authentication, and RSA (2048, 3072, 4096) or elliptic curve cryptography (ECC) (256R1, 256K1, 521) handshakes; however, the default settings are AES-128, SHA1, RSA-2048.
- "desktop/LICENSE.txt at master · pia-foss/desktop". GitHub. 2019-12-17. Retrieved 2019-12-18.
- "android/LICENSE at master · pia-foss/android". GitHub. 2020-05-22. Retrieved 2020-05-31.
- "vpn-ios/LICENSE at master · pia-foss/vpn-ios". GitHub. 2018-04-11. Retrieved 2019-12-18.
- Goldman, Joshua. "Former Mt. Gox bitcoin exchange CEO Karpeles lands new job". CNET. Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- Van Der Sar, Ernesto (24 November 2019). "Private Internet Access to Be Acquired by Kape". TorrentFreak. Archived from the original on 28 November 2019. Retrieved 28 November 2019.
- "How one small American VPN company is trying to stand up for privacy". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2017-08-02.
- "PIA and freenode joining forces - freenode". freenode.net. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- Lee, Andrew (18 November 2019). "Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes ("The War of All Against All")". Private Internet Access Blog. Retrieved 2019-12-18.
- London Trust Media, Inc. "Private Internet Access Anonymous VPN". www.privateinternetaccess.com.
- "Private Internet Access Anonymous VPN". London Trust Media. Retrieved 2017-01-03.