7 May 1911|
Cide, Kastamonu Vilayet, Ottoman Empire
|Died||7 July 1993
|Resting place||Zincirlikuyu Cemetery, Istanbul|
|Occupation||Author, Teacher, Poet|
Rıfat Ilgaz (7 May 1911 – 7 July 1993) was a Turkish teacher, writer and poet.
He was born in Cide, in the Kastamonu Vilayet of the Ottoman Empire (present-day Turkey). Ilgaz was one of Turkey’s best-known and most prolific poets and writers, having authored over sixty works. Ilgaz started writing poetry during his junior school years and evolved into one of the prolific social-realist writers of the 20th-century Turkish literature. His poems are considered prime examples of socialist-realistic writing. While he has never really been a partisan of political ideologies, the fact that he has written about the sufferings of the people placed him at a left wing perspective. Like other writers of his time, Ilgaz was imprisoned as a result of one of his publications.
In addition to his writing, he led an accomplished career as a lecturer in Turkish literature.
English language bibliography
One collection of Ilgaz's short stories has been published in English language translation.
A 2001 short story collection by Turkish writer Rifat Ilgaz published by Milet Books, in dual Turkish and English language translation by Damian Croft, as part of its series of Turkish-English Short Story Collections.
The publisher states that, “In the deftly comic six-part story, Fourth Company and two further stories, Rifat Ilgaz turns his sharp but affectionate wit on compulsory military service, holidays at home and the pathological fear of doctors.”
The volume consists of the stories;
- Fourth Company (Parts 1–6)
- Off to Exchange Bayram Greetings
- A Fear of Doctors
- Apartıman Çocukları
- Bacaksız Okulda
- Bacaksız Plajda
- Cart Curt
- Çalış Osman Çiftlik Senin
- Don Kişot Istanbul'da
- Garibin Horozu
- Geçmişe Mazi
- Güvercinim Uyur mu?
- Hababam Sınıfı (1975) (made into a movie)
- Hababam Sınıfı Sınıfta Kaldı (1975) (made into a movie)
- Hababam Sınıfı Baskında (made into a movie)
- Hababam Sınıfı İcraatın İçinde
- Hababam Sınıfı Uyanıyor
- Hoca Nasrettin Ve Çömezleri
- Karadeniz'in Kıyıcığında
- Karartma Geceleri (1990) (made into a movie)
- Kırk Yıl Once Kırk Yıl Sonra
- Kulağımız Kirişte
- Nerde Kalmıştık
- Nerde O Eski Usturalar
- Ocak Katırı Alagöz
- Öksüz Civciv
- Radarın Anahtarı
- Rüşvetin Alamancası
- Sarı Yazma
- Soluk Soluğa/Karakılçık/Uzak Değil
- Sosyal Kadınlar Partisi
- Şeker Kutusu
- Üsküdar'da Sabah Oldu
- Yıldız Karayel
- Yokuş Yukarı
- "Rıfat Ilgaz, 22 yıl önce bugün aramızdan ayrıldı". Y24 (in Turkish). 2015-07-07. Retrieved 2017-01-31.
- "Fourth Company". Milet Books. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- "Hababam Sinifi (movie)".
- "Hababam Sinifi Sinifta Kaldi (movie)".
- "Karartma Geceleri (movie)".
|This article about a Turkish writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|