|Directed by||Zack Snyder|
|Edited by||Dody Dorn|
|Music by||Tom Holkenborg|
Rebel Moon is an upcoming American epic space opera film directed by Zack Snyder from a screenplay he co-wrote with Shay Hatten and Kurt Johnstad, based on a story he also created with Johnstad. Produced by The Stone Quarry and Grand Electric, and distributed by Netflix. The film features an ensemble cast that includes Sofia Boutella, Charlie Hunnam, Ray Fisher, Djimon Hounsou, Jena Malone, Corey Stoll, Ed Skrein, Cleopatra Coleman, Fra Fee, Cary Elwes, and Anthony Hopkins.
Rebel Moon is scheduled to be released on December 22, 2023, by Netflix, with a limited theatrical release being planned. A follow-up, Rebel Moon Part 2, is scheduled to be shot with the film back-to-back.
"A peaceful colony on the edge of the galaxy is threatened by the armies of a tyrannical regent named Balisarius. The desperate civilians dispatch Kora, a young woman who has a mysterious past to seek out warriors from nearby planets to help them challenge the regent."
- Sofia Boutella as Kora, a woman with a mysterious past sent to save the galaxy from Balisarius.
- Djimon Hounsou as General Titus, general of Balisarius' armies.
- Ed Skrein as Balisarius, a ruthless tyrannical regent who threatens the galaxy and the colony.
- Michiel Huisman
- Doona Bae
- Ray Fisher as Blood Axe
- Staz Nair
- Charlie Hunnam
- Anthony Hopkins as the voice of Jimmy, a sentient JC1435 mechanized battle robot and one-time defender of the slain King.
- Jena Malone
- Stuart Martin
- Corey Stoll
- Cary Elwes
- Alfonso Herrera
- Cleopatra Coleman
- Fra Fee
- Rhian Rees
- Ray Porter
Rebel Moon is inspired by the works of Akira Kurosawa and the Star Wars films. The film also began development as a Star Wars film that Snyder had pitched to Lucasfilm, in the time period between the conclusion of the prequel trilogy in 2005 and the sale of Lucasfilm to The Walt Disney Company in 2012. This pitch was to be a more mature take on the Star Wars universe. Following the acquisition, the project was redeveloped by producer Eric Newman and Snyder, first as an original television series, before settling on a film.
On November 2, 2021, it was announced that Sofia Boutella had been cast in the film. On February 9, 2022, Charlie Hunnam, Djimon Hounsou, Ray Fisher, Jena Malone, Staz Nair and Doona Bae joined the cast. Later that month, Stuart Martin and Rupert Friend joined the project. On April 8, 2022, Cary Elwes, Corey Stoll, Michiel Huisman and Alfonso Herrera joined the cast. On May 16, 2022, it was announced that Ed Skrein has replaced Friend as the film's main antagonist due to scheduling conflicts, with Cleopatra Coleman, Fra Fee and Rhian Rees joining the project. On June 8, 2022, it was announced that Anthony Hopkins had joined the cast as the voice of Jimmy, an impossibly sentient JC1435 mechanized battle robot and one-time defender of the slain King.
Filming commenced as of April 19, 2022, with Snyder sharing the first images from the set on Twitter that day. Snyder also served as cinematographer. It ran until December 2, with 152 days of filming taking place in California, to tap into $83 million in qualified spending and tax incentives.
Rebel Moon Part 1 and Rebel Moon Part 2 will receive both a PG-13 cut and an extended, R-rated cut.
In January 2023, Tom Holkenborg was revealed to be composing the score. Holkenborg has previously scored the Snyder-directed films Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021) and Army of the Dead (2021), and the Snyder-produced 300: Rise of an Empire (2014).
The first footage from the film was revealed through a Netflix 2023 film preview posted to YouTube on January 18, 2023.
The film is expected to be released on Netflix on December 22, 2023.
Speaking about the film's future as a franchise, Snyder said: "My hope is that this also becomes a massive IP and a universe that can be built out." In February 9, 2022 it was revealed that Rebel Moon would be a two part film, with both parts being shot back-to-back. In August 22, 2022, the follow-up was confirmed and revealed to be titled Rebel Moon Part 2.
- ^ a b "Started shooting #RebelMoon #stonequarry @netflixfilm bad ass pic of @djimon_hounsou courtesy of #zacksnyder #snydercut #LFG!!!!". Instagram. April 20, 2022. Retrieved April 20, 2022.
- ^ a b "Tom Holkenborg (Junkie XL) to Reteam with Zack Snyder on 'Rebel Moon'". Film Music Reporter. January 18, 2023.
- ^ Vary, Adam B. (July 6, 2021). "Zack Snyder to Make Sci-Fi Epic Rebel Moon for Netflix". Variety. Retrieved October 28, 2021.
- ^ Jackson, Matthew (April 20, 2022). "ZACK SNYDER REVEALS FIRST LOOK AT 'STAR WARS'-ESQUE NETFLIX EPIC 'REBEL MOON' AS FILMING STARTS". Syfy. Retrieved July 7, 2022.
- ^ a b c d e Kit, Borys (July 6, 2021). "Zack Snyder Sets Next Movie, Sci-Fi Adventure Rebel Moon, at Netflix (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 6, 2021.
- ^ Joe Anderton (June 5, 2021). "Zack Snyder confirms he was working on a Star Wars movie". Digital Spy. Retrieved July 6, 2021.
- ^ Kroll, Justin (November 2, 2021). "Zack Snyder Taps Sofia Boutella To Star In His New Sci-fi Adventure Rebel Moon At Netflix". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 2, 2021.
- ^ Kroll, Justin (February 9, 2022). "Charlie Hunnam, Djimon Hounsou And Ray Fisher Among Those Starring In Zack Snyder's Next Film Rebel Moon For Netflix". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 9, 2022.
- ^ Kit, Borys (February 28, 2022). "Rupert Friend, Stuart Martin Join Zack Snyder's 'Rebel Moon' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 28, 2022.
- ^ Kit, Borys (April 8, 2022). "Cary Elwes, Corey Stoll Join Zack Snyder's Sci-Fi Fantasy 'Rebel Moon' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 8, 2022.
- ^ Grobar, Matt (May 16, 2022). "Ed Skrein Replaces Rupert Friend In Zack Snyder's Netflix Sci-Fi Epic 'Rebel Moon'; Cleopatra Coleman & More Also Set". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 16, 2022.
- ^ Grobar, Matt (June 6, 2022). "Anthony Hopkins Joins Zack Snyder's Netflix Sci-Fi Adventure Pic 'Rebel Moon'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 6, 2022.
- ^ Ankers, Adele (April 20, 2022). "Zack Snyder Posts First Images From Rebel Moon Set". IGN. Retrieved April 21, 2022.
- ^ Snyder, Zack [@ZackSnyder] (April 19, 2022). "Day 1 #RebelMoon. It's begun" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ^ a b Kit, Borys (February 9, 2022). "Charlie Hunnam, Djimon Hounsou, Bae Doona, Ray Fisher Join Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 9, 2022.
- ^ Vlessing, Etan (August 23, 2021). "Beverly Hills Cop 4 Among 23 New Features to Film in California". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 23, 2021.
- ^ Kit, Borys (March 24, 2023). "Zack Snyder's 'Rebel Moon' Will Have Extended R-Rated Versions For Both Parts". Collider. Retrieved March 24, 2023.
- ^ a b Netflix (January 18, 2023). "SAVE THE DATES | 2023 Films Preview | Official Trailer". YouTube. Retrieved January 18, 2023.
- ^ Robb, David (August 22, 2022). "'Joker' & 'Rebel Moon' Sequels Among 18 Pics Set For California Tax Credits; Expected To Generate $915M In Production Spending". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 26, 2022.
- Rebel Moon at IMDb
- Upcoming films
- 2023 films
- 2023 science fiction films
- Upcoming Netflix original films
- 2020s English-language films
- American science fantasy films
- American science fiction action films
- American science fiction adventure films
- American space opera films
- English-language Netflix original films
- Films directed by Zack Snyder
- Films produced by Zack Snyder
- Films with screenplays by Kurt Johnstad
- Films with screenplays by Shay Hatten
- Films with screenplays by Zack Snyder
- Films scored by Junkie XL
- Films set on fictional planets
- Films shot in California
- The Stone Quarry films