||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Snyder at the 2016 San Diego Comic-Con International
|Born||Zachary Edward Snyder
March 1, 1966
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
|Residence||Pasadena, California, United States|
|Spouse(s)||Denise Snyder (divorced)
Deborah Snyder (m. 2004)
|Children||Eight children (4 eldest from first marriage, 2 from Elin, 2 adopted with Deborah)|
Zachary Edward "Zack" Snyder (born March 1, 1966) is an American filmmaker, best known for his action and science fiction films. Snyder made his feature film debut with the 2004 remake of the horror film Dawn of the Dead. Since then, he has done a number of comic book and superhero films, including 300 (2007) and Watchmen (2009), as well as the Superman film that started the DC Extended Universe, Man of Steel (2013) and its follow-ups, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) and Justice League (2017). He also wrote the screenplays for 300: Rise of an Empire, Sucker Punch and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole.
Snyder was born in Green Bay, Wisconsin, and raised in Riverside, Connecticut. His mother, Marsha Manley (née Reeves), was a painter and a photography teacher at Daycroft School, which Snyder later attended. His father, Charles Edward "Ed" Snyder, worked as an executive recruiter. He was raised as a Christian Scientist. Snyder attended Camp Owatonna in Harrison, Maine, during the summer months as a child. Snyder's mother inspired him to study painting a year after high school at Heatherley School of Fine Art in England, although he had already begun filmmaking. Afterward, Snyder attended Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California.
Snyder went on to shoot,[when?] as a director and as a cinematographer, television commercials for such clients as the automobile companies Audi, BMW, Subaru and Nissan, amongst others. Other commercial work has been for clients including Nike, Reebok, and Gatorade.
Snyder made his feature film debut with the remake of the horror film Dawn of the Dead (2004), and scored a box office hit with the fantasy war film 300 (2007), adapted from writer-artist Frank Miller's Dark Horse Comics miniseries of the same name. His Warner Bros. film Watchmen was released on March 6, 2009 and grossed $185 million worldwide. His follow-up project/animation debut titled Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole was released on September 24, 2010. Snyder produced, co-wrote, and directed Sucker Punch, which was released on March 25, 2011. The film, based on a script written by Snyder and Steve Shibuya, was about a young woman in a mental hospital who fantasizes of escape with her fellow inmates.
He directed 2013's Man of Steel for Warner Bros., a reboot of the Superman franchise. He will direct a yet-to-be-produced remake of the 1969 film The Illustrated Man, and produced the prequel/sequel to 300, 300: Rise of an Empire (2014). He also wants to direct a segment for an upcoming Heavy Metal 3, and plans to write and direct a sequel to Legend of the Guardians.
During Comic Con 2013, Snyder announced that Batman and Superman would share the screen in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, released in 2016. Cavill reprised his role as Superman, and Ben Affleck played Batman. In April 2014, Snyder was announced by Warner Bros. to direct the Justice League film after finishing Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. As of March 2016, Snyder is working on The Last Photograph, a drama about a war photographer in Afghanistan. He is also working on an adaptation of the 1943 novel The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.
Snyder often uses slow motion in and out of the fight scenes in his films, which Amy Nicholson of BoxOffice magazine remarked separates the director from other filmmakers who make multiple cuts and close-ups during a fight. A minute-long shot from 300 shows King Leonidas slaughtering his enemies, the camera zooming in and out to emphasize each kill and move Leonidas makes.
Snyder lives in Pasadena with his second wife, producer Deborah Snyder. The couple first met in 1996, and married on September 25, 2004 at the St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church in Manhattan, New York.
Snyder has eight children. The four eldest are from a marriage to Denise Weber that ended in divorce. Two are from another relationship, with Kirsten Elin, who was his line producer on commercials for a while. Snyder and his current wife adopted two children during the course of making Man of Steel.
|2004||Dawn of the Dead||Yes||No||No|
|2010||Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole||Yes||No||No|
|2013||Man of Steel||Yes||No||No|
|2014||300: Rise of an Empire||No||Yes||Yes|
|2016||Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice||Yes||No||No|
|2019||Untitled Justice League sequel||Yes||No||No|
|1992||"You're So Close"||Peter Murphy|
|"Somebody to Shove"||Soul Asylum|
|1993||"Black Gold"||Soul Asylum|
|"In the Middle"||Alexander O'Neal|
|1994||"I Know"||Dionne Farris|
|2009||"Desolation Row"||My Chemical Romance|
|Actors||Dawn of the Dead
|Legend of the Guardians:
The Owls of Ga'Hoole
|Man of Steel
|Batman v Superman:
Dawn of Justice
|Jeffrey Dean Morgan|
- Snyder's wife Deborah Snyder, has produced all of his films dating back to 300 (executive producer on 300 and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole).
- Larry Fong and William Hoy were Snyder's cinematographer and film editor, respectively, on the films 300, Watchmen and Sucker Punch. Fong is also the cinematographer for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- John "D.J." Desjardin was the visual effects supervisor on Watchmen, Sucker Punch, Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- David Brenner served as film editor on Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League.
While his visual direction is often praised by critics, Snyder is often criticized for his subpar storytelling and excessive iconography.
Critical, public and commercial reception to films Zack Snyder has directed as of April 26, 2016:
|Year||Film||Rotten Tomatoes||Metacritic||CinemaScore||Budget||Box office|
|2004||Dawn of the Dead||75% (180 reviews)||59 (37 reviews)||B||$26 million||$102.4 million|
|2007||300||60% (226 reviews)||52 (42 reviews)||A-||$65 million||$456.1 million|
|2009||Watchmen||65% (294 reviews)||56 (39 reviews)||B||$130 million||$185.3 million|
|2010||Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole||50% (122 reviews)||53 (21 reviews)||A-||$80 million||$140.1 million|
|2011||Sucker Punch||24% (204 reviews)||33 (29 reviews)||B-||$82 million||$89.8 million|
|2013||Man of Steel||55% (300 reviews)||55 (47 reviews)||A-||$225 million||$668.0 million|
|2016||Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice||27% (338 reviews)||44 (51 reviews)||B||$250 million||$872.7 million|
Awards and nominations
Snyder's body of work has earned him a number of awards, including two Clio Awards and a Gold Lion Award for his Jeep "Frisbee" commercial. He also won an award for his humorous commercial "General's Party".
|2007||Golden Schmoes Award||Best Director of the Year||300||Nominated|
|Hollywood Film Award||Hollywood Movie of the Year||Won|
|2008||Saturn Award||Best Director||Won|
Shared with Michael B. Gordon & Kurt Johnstad
|2009||ShoWest Award||Director of the Year||Won|
|2010||Saturn Award||Best Director||Watchmen||Nominated|
|SFX Award||Best Director||Nominated|
|St. Louis Film Critics Association Award||Best Animated Feature Film||Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole||Nominated|
|2013||Hollywood Film Award||Hollywood Movie of the Year||Man of Steel||Nominated|
|2014||Jupiter Award||Best International Film||Nominated|
- Off Screen, a Long-Running Romance New York Times, FEB. 18, 2011.
- "Fan makes a film". Berkshire Eagle, The. March 8, 2007.
- "Marsha Snyder Obituary - Pittsfield, MA | theberkshireeagle.com". Legacy.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "The North Adams Transcript from North Adams, Massachusetts · Page 15". Newspapers.com. 1958-05-05. Archived from the original on December 8, 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "Zack Snyder: Watchmen". SuicideGirls.com. 5 March 2009. Retrieved March 5, 2009.
- "Updates on The Jetsons & Zack Snyder's The Illustrated Man - Comingsoon.net". October 4, 2010. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- Fleming, Mike (October 4, 2010). "SCOOP: Zack Snyder Directing 'Superman'". Deadline.com. Retrieved October 4, 2010.
- "Zack Snyder Will Direct Superman/Batman Movie Inspired by Frank Miller's 'The Dark Knight Returns'".
- "Warner Bros. Plans 'Justice League' Movie Directed by Zack Snyder (Exclusive)". Wall Street Journey. April 26, 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-27.
- "BREAKING: Zack Snyder Taking Director's Chair On THE LAST PHOTOGRAPH". Screen Anarchy. August 2, 2011. Retrieved August 8, 2016.
- "'Batman v. Superman': Married Creative Duo on That R-Rated DVD, Plans for DC Superhero Universe". The Hollywood Reporter. March 17, 2016. Retrieved July 4, 2016.
- Nicholson, Amy (February 26, 2009). "Slow and Steady". Box Office Magazine. Archived from the original on March 3, 2009. Retrieved March 28, 2016.
- Louie, Elaine (October 3, 2004). "WEDDINGS/CELEBRATIONS: VOWS; Deborah Johnson and Zack Snyder - New York Times". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- Frank Lovece (2009-02-19). "CGI: 'Watchmen'--Zack Snyder brings superhero saga to the finish line". Film Journal International. Retrieved 2009-02-19.
- "Zack Snyder's Superhero Life". Bloomberg. Retrieved March 1, 2016.
- "Warner Bros. Unveils Full DC Movies Slate Through 2020". IGN. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- "Batman v Superman: WB needs a stronger vision". Variety. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- "Zack Snyder". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- "Zack Snyder's Profile". Metacritic. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- "CinemaScore". cinemascore.com. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- "Zack Snyder Movie Box office". boxofficemojo.com. Amazon.com. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- "Zack Snyder - Awards - IMDb". Retrieved June 13, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zack Snyder.|
- Cruel and Unusual Films – Snyder's production company
- Zack Snyder on Twitter
- Snyder at MySpace
- Zack Snyder at the Internet Movie Database
- Zack Snyder at Believe Media
- Zack Snyder Biography at Tribute.ca
- Zack Snyder Directing 'Superman' at Deadline
- Zack Snyder directing Superman reboot at The Hollywood Reporter