|Richard J. Zeckhauser|
Richard Zeckhauser (2014)
|Spouse(s)||Sally H. Zeckhauser|
|Field||Decision theory, game theory, behavioral economics|
|Decision theory, behavioral economics|
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
|Nat Keohane, Gernot Wagner|
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
He holds a BA (summa cum laude) and a PhD in economics from Harvard University. Early in his career, he was one of the "whiz kids" assembled by Defense Secretary Robert S. McNamara to apply cutting-edge analysis to Cold War military strategy. He is married to Sally H. Zeckhauser.
He is the author or co-author of many books and over 300 peer-reviewed articles. His most significant works focus on risk management, decision sciences, investment, and policy-making under uncertainty. Zeckhauser introduced the term "ignorance" into decision-making under uncertainty, as in: there's "risk", "uncertainty", and outright "ignorance".
His most recent book, with Peter Schuck, is Targeting in Social Programs. The book examines how and why to deploy scarce public resources to solve public problems. While he holds no formal office, he has long been an informal leader at the Kennedy School and at Harvard. He is also a consultant with Analysis Group. In 1994, he was elected to the Common Cause National Governing Board.
- North American Bridge Championships (2)
- Summers, Lawrence, and Richard Zeckhauser. "Policymaking for posterity." Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 37.2-3 (2008): 115-140.
- Zeckhauser, Richard. "Investing in the Unknown and Unknowable." (2010): 77-117.
- Samuelson, William, and Richard Zeckhauser. "Status quo bias in decision making." Journal of risk and uncertainty 1, no. 1 (1988): 7-59.
- Zeckhauser, Richard (2006) "Investing in the Unknown and Unknowable", Capitalism and Society: Vol. 1 : Iss. 2, Article 5. doi:10.2202/1932-0213.1009
- Schuck, Peter H. & Zeckhauser, Richard J. Targeting in Social Programs: Avoiding Bad Bets, Removing Bad Apples, Brookings Institution Press, 2010, ISBN 978-0-8157-0428-7
- Zeckhauser, Richard, Strategy and choice, MIT Press, 1991, ISBN 978-0-262-24033-8
- Zeckhauser, Richard, Keeney, Ralph L., Sebenius, James K. Wise choices: decisions, games, and negotiations, Harvard Business Press, 1996, ISBN 978-0-87584-677-4
- Zeckhauser, Richard (2008). "Insurance". In David R. Henderson. Concise Encyclopedia of Economics (2nd ed.). Indianapolis: Library of Economics and Liberty. ISBN 978-0865976658. OCLC 237794267.
- "'Quiet' Harvard Leader To Retire | News | The Harvard Crimson". www.thecrimson.com.
- Zeckhauser, Richard (11 January 2011). "Investing in the Unknown and Unknowable". Journal of Risk and Uncertainty. doi:10.2470/rf.v2010.n2.7.
- Alexander, Sophie. "KSG Prof Plays His Cards Right | News | The Harvard Crimson". www.thecrimson.com.
- Official website
- NBER Publications by Richard J. Zeckhauser
- Richard Zeckhauser at Library of Congress Authorities, with 25 catalog records (including 2 as second author 'Richard J.')
- "International record for Richard Zeckhauser". World Bridge Federation.
- Common Cause
|This biography of an American economist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|