San Luis, Pampanga
Map of Pampanga showing the location of San Luis
|Region||Central Luzon (Region III)|
|• Mayor||Venancio Sagum-Macapagal|
|• Total||56.83 km2 (21.94 sq mi)|
|• Density||870/km2 (2,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)45|
|Income class||3rd class|
- San Agustin
- San Carlos
- San Isidro
- San Jose
- San Juan
- San Nicolas
- San Roque
- San Sebastian
- Santa Catalina
- Santa Cruz Pambilog
- Santa Cruz Poblacion
- Santa Lucia
- Santa Monica
- Santa Rita
- Santo Niño
- Santo Rosario
- Santo Tomas
|Population census of San Luis|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
Roman Catholicism remains the faith of the majority in San Luis, although there are other denominations in the town, including:
- Roman Catholics
- Iglesia ni Cristo
- United Methodist Church
- Church of Christ
- Members Church of God International
- Ang Iglesia Metodista sa Pilipinas
- Baptist Church
- Iglesia DeLa Sagrada Familia
- Born Again
The municipal government is divided into three branches: executive, legislative and judiciary. The judicial branch is administered solely by the Supreme Court of the Philippines. The executive branch is composed of the mayor and the barangay captains for the barangays. The legislative branch is composed of the Sangguniang Bayan (town assembly), Sangguniang Barangay (barangay council), and the Sangguniang Kabataan for the youth sector.
The current mayor of San Luis, Venancio "Asyong" Macapagal, and the vice mayor is Leonardo S. Salas Jr.
Transportation, trade and commerce in San Luis is concentrated at the town center where the public market, cockpit, municipal hall, church, schools, hospital, clinics, and commercial spaces are situated.
St. Aloysius Gonzaga Church
Its façade can compare immeasurably with existing Spanish-style church edifices and architectural design. The church is located in a place that used to be called Cabagsac, referring to the proliferation of fruit bats. In fact, today, a fishnet is permanently installed high above the altar precisely to catch thousands of bats that are roosting inside the church. The interior is dark, has an ambience of antiquity and mystery and overpowering odor of bat urine. The main attraction is the three-tower facade, perhaps one of its kind in the country. Not to be missed is the ancient cemetery located in a hidden corner at the back of the church, with some tombstones dating back to the 1800s and bearing the names of the town's prominent families, including Taruc.
There is a prime school in the town aside from public elementary and high schools.
- Luis Taruc (June 21, 1913 - May 4, 2005), founder and leader of Hukbalahap, was born of peasant folks in the farming town of San Luis, Pampanga.
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- "Province: Pampanga". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region III (Central Luzon)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region III (Central Luzon)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007). "Region III (Central Luzon)". Total Population by Province, City and Municipality. NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Province of Pampanga". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- "WOW Philippines :: Explore Philippines :: Things to Do". Retrieved 2008-04-25. Note: Things to Do and see in Pampanga...
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to San Luis, Pampanga.|
- The Town of San Luis, Pampanga
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
|Adjacent places of San Luis, Pampanga|