The Lady Rothschild
Serena Mary Dunn
28 April 1935
|Died||13 January 2019 (aged 83)|
|Occupation||Thoroughbred racehorse owner|
|Spouse(s)||Jacob Rothschild, 4th Baron Rothschild|
|Children||4, including Hannah Mary Rothschild and Nathaniel Philip Rothschild|
|Parent(s)||Philip Gordon Dunn, 2nd Baronet Dunn|
Lady Mary Sybil St. Clair-Erskine
James Hamet Dunn
Rothschild was the daughter of Sir Philip Gordon Dunn, Bt., and Lady Mary Sybil St. Clair-Erskine (daughter of James St Clair-Erskine, 5th Earl of Rosslyn). Her sister is the writer Nell Dunn. Her paternal grandfather was Sir James Dunn, Bt., a prominent Canadian financier.
Rothschild oversaw the management of Waddesdon Stud at Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire. In November 2006, she paid 3 million guineas for the mare Spinning Queen, then a world record price (for a filly or broodmare) of 4.6 million guineas when she purchased Magical Romance at the Tattersalls sale.
In 2009, her colt Pounced, trained by John Gosden and ridden by Frankie Dettori, won the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, California. In 2011, her colt Nathaniel won the King Edward VII Stakes (G2) at Ascot and the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes (G1), also at Ascot. In 2012, she won the Eclipse Stakes (G1) with Nathaniel, The Lancashire Oaks (G2), and then the Irish Oaks (Classic G1) with Great Heavens.
The couple made their home at Pewsey, Wiltshire, and maintained a villa on the Greek island of Corfu. She and her husband were involved in a number of charitable and humanitarian organizations, and she was a Vice President of the Wiltshire Blind Association.
Lady Rothschild died in a London hospital on 13 January 2019 following a short illness. She was 83.
- "The Rothschilds' racing heritage".
- Rushmer., By Tony. "Magical Romance sold for 4.6m gns".
- The Rothschild Foster Trust: "The descendants of Charles Rothschild" Archived 2012-09-07 at the Wayback Machine retrieved September 27, 2012
- "Javier Barba | BC Arquitectos | Green Architecture". bcestudioarchitects.com.
- "Wiltshire Blind Association, President, Officers, Patrons and Members". web.archive.org. Oct 9, 2011.
- "Nathaniel owner Lady Rothschild dies aged 83". 13 January 2019. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
|This British horse racing biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|