Sims is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Sims Township, Grant County, Indiana. In 2010 it had a population of 156.
The community took its name from Sims Township. A post office was established at Sims in 1881, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1992.
Sims is located at 40°29′59″N 85°51′19″W / 40.49972°N 85.85528°W near the western border of Grant County. It is 2 miles (3 km) west of Swayzee and 13 miles (21 km) southwest of Marion, the county seat. A rail line operated by the Central Railroad Company of Indianapolis passes along the north side of town.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the Sims CDP has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), all of it land.
U.S. Decennial Census
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ a b "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Sims CDP, Indiana". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved December 5, 2016.
- ^ Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 302. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...named for Sims Township, in which it is located...
- ^ "Grant County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- ^ "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.