South Brooklyn is an "obsolete and imprecise" historic term for a section of the former City of Brooklyn – now the New York City borough of Brooklyn – encompassing what are now the Boerum Hill, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Gowanus, Park Slope and Red Hook neighborhoods. It was named for its location, south of the original Village of Brooklyn. It should not be confused with the geographic southern region of the modern borough of Brooklyn, which includes the neighborhoods of Gravesend, Sheepshead Bay, Gerritsen Beach, Seagate, Coney Island, Brighton Beach, and Manhattan Beach, Mill Basin and the area near Kings Plaza.
"South or Southern Brooklyn" is also in use in the modern borough of Brooklyn, but without total consistency as to what it refers to. It has been used about neighborhoods as various and physically separated as Mill Basin and the area near Kings Plaza, Bensonhurst, Carroll Gardens, Gowanus, Red Hook, Smith Street, Sunset Park, Windsor Terrace, as well as Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, and Park Slope.
The New York City Subway's IND Culver Line (F and G trains) serves the area at the Carroll Street and Smith–Ninth Streets stations. The line was originally named the "South Brooklyn Line" on some official subway maps. However, this obsolete name for the Culver Line may have referred to the South Brooklyn Railway, the original right of way of the BMT Culver Line; this right-of-way originally ran between Sunset Park and Coney Island.
- "Carroll Gardens" in Jackson, Kenneth T., ed. (2010), The Encyclopedia of New York City (2nd ed.), New Haven: Yale University Press, ISBN 978-0-300-11465-2, p.1213
- "Cobble Hill Historic District Designation Report" New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (December 30, 1969)
- "Carroll Gardens" in Jackson, Kenneth T.; Manbeck, John B., eds. (2004), The Neighborhoods of Brooklyn (2nd ed.), New Haven, Connecticut: Citizens for NYC and Yale University Press, ISBN 0-300-10310-7, p.55
- Goldensohn, Rosa. "Police Identify Man Sought for Raping his Girlfriend in South Brooklyn" Archived 2015-02-05 at the Wayback Machine. DNAinfo (August 25, 2014)
- "Dining Briefs: South Brooklyn Pizza and Artisanal" The New York Times (June i8, 2008)
- Blau, Eleanor. "Neighborhood Report: South Brooklyn;The Mr. Fix-It of the Pipe Organ The New York Times (December 24, 1995)
- Venugopal, Nikhita. "Red Hook Transfer School's Cheerleading Team Is Only for the 'Tough'" Archived 2015-02-05 at the Wayback Machine. DNAinfo (January 27, 2014)
- "Smith Street - Shops, Restaurants, Bars Singles, Couples and Family Living" South Brooklyn Local Development Corporation website
- South Brooklyn Marine Terminal website
- Albrecht, Leslie. "South Brooklyn Rezoning Will Save P.S. 154 Science Lab, Principal Says" Archived 2015-01-19 at the Wayback Machine. DNAinfo (November 11, 2014)
- Wisloski, Jess. "Power Outage Affecting 7,500 in South Brooklyn is Over, Con Ed Says" Archived 2015-02-05 at the Wayback Machine. DNAinfo (February 15, 2014)
- BMT Culver Line on nycsubway.org
- "Brooklyn Bus Map" (PDF). Metropolitan Transportation Authority. November 2017. Retrieved April 24, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Brooklyn.|