St. Roch's Church (Staten Island)
|The Church of St. Roch|
|Town or city||New York City|
|Client||Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York|
The Church of St. Roch is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 602 Port Richmond Avenue, Staten Island, New York City. It was established in 1922. It is sometimes confused with St. Roch's Church St. in the Bronx, which was established in 1899.
St. Roch Church began as a mission of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church. The parish was founded in September 1922; Fr Catello Terrone was the first pastor. The altar stone held relics of St. Roch, St. Anthony, St. Lucy, St. Rita and St. Ann. Around 1928 the congregation had grown sufficiently that parishioners went door to door to selling "bricks" for $1 to finance a larger building to replace the small wooden church. The new church building was dedicated in 1929.
In 2015, the parish of St Roch merged with St. Adalbert.
- Fr. Catello Terrone, 1922 - 1949
- Fr Pasquale Cannizzaro, 1950 - March 1972
- Fr. Francis Massarone, 1972 - 1983
- Father Alfred Pucci, September 1983
- Fr. Leo R. Prince
- Fr. James H. Hauver, 2011 - 2016
Before the opening of the parish school, students were taught in the parish hall. The school was dedicated by Francis Cardinal Spellman in May 1960. The school was staffed by the Sisters of St. John the Baptist. After almost a decade a declining enrollment, it was among twenty-seven designated by the Archdiocese of New York to close in June 2011.
- Remigius Lafort, S.T.D., Censor, The Catholic Church in the United States of America: Undertaken to Celebrate the Golden Jubilee of His Holiness, Pope Pius X. Volume 3: The Province of Baltimore and the Province of New York, Section 1: Comprising the Archdiocese of New York and the Diocese of Brooklyn, Buffalo and Ogdensburg Together with some Supplementary Articles on Religious Communities of Women.. (New York City: The Catholic Editing Company, 1914), p.392.
- Sherry, Virginia N., "Fast facts about the 4 Roman Catholic churches on Staten Island slated to close", Staten Island Advance, November 3, 2014
- "History -St. Roch church", St Adalbert - St. Roch Parish
- Koeske, Zak. "Prayers answered: St. Roch's to remain open for at least another year", Staten Island Advance, July 26, 2015
- McQuillan, Alice. "New York Archdiocese to Close 27 Schools", NBC New York, 11 January 2011 (Accessed 7 February 2011)
- Archdiocese of New York, "RECONFIGURATION COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATIONS REGARDING “AT-RISK” SCHOOLS ACCEPTED BY ARCHDIOCESE OF NEW YORK Archived 2011-01-17 at the Wayback Machine," Official Press Release, 11 January 2011 (Accessed 7 February 2011)