Stolen Moments: The Lady Sings... Jazz and Blues
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Stolen Moments: The Lady Sings... Jazz and Blues|
|Live album by|
|Recorded||December 4, 1992|
|Diana Ross chronology|
The album was recorded at the 975 seat Ritz Theatre in New York City on December 4, 1992. The nineteen Jazz standards, which are highly associated with the late Billie Holiday, had been sung by the Motown diva twenty years before for the soundtrack of her award-winning film Lady Sings the Blues.
The band backing Diana includes jazz giants Roy Hargrove, Ron Carter, Jon Faddis, and Urbie Greene, among others. Upon release, the album reached the Top 10 on Billboard's jazz chart, peaking at number two. A 90-minute video recording of the show was released, initially as a Pay-Per-View event in the United States, and then in the various video formats available at the time. The video recording featured a performance by Rhonda Ross and behind-the-scenes footage with Diana.
A studio recording of "Where Did We Go Wrong" was included on international editions of the album, but these international releases omitted the live track "The Man I Love".
The original airing in 1992 celebrated the 20th Anniversary of the release of Diana's film debut in "Lady Sings the Blues".
The album CD and DVD were both remastered and re-released in 2002 with superb sound and resolution.
In a five decade career, "Stolen Moments" though centered on one segment of her career, is one of the best live albums she has ever released. Missing the summit by one, (#2) fans obviously agreed. Diana surrounded herself with a top notch group of accomplished and celebrated jazz musicians led by both Jon Faddis and Gil Askey with Roy Hargrove, Urbie Green, Ron Carter, etc. rounding out a great evening of fine American music.
This is the second of three jazz albums that Diana's recorded including "Lady Sings the Blues" and "Blue". All albums lead back to "Lady Sings the Blues". The soundtrack hit the summit (#1) on the Jazz album chart. Whilst both "Stolen Moments" and "Blue" peaked at #2. Along with their commercial success, they were all critically acclaimed.
- "Fine and Mellow" (Billie Holiday) - 2:58
- "Them There Eyes" (Pinkard, Tauber, Tracey) - 3:42
- "Don't Explain" (Arthur Herzog Jr., Holiday) - 4:48
- "What a Little Moonlight Can Do" (Woods) - 3:46
- "Mean to Me" (Fred E. Ahlert, Roy Turk) - 2:41
- "Lover Man" (Davis, Ramirez, Sherman) - 5:01
- "Gimme a Pigfoot (And a Bottle of Beer)" (Coot Grant / Wesley Wilson) - 3:31
- "Little Girl Blue" (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers) - 3:21
- "There's a Small Hotel" (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers) - 2:47
- "I Cried for You" (Gus Arnheim, Abe Lyman, Arthur Freed) - 6:38
- "The Man I Love" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) - 5:13
- "God Bless the Child" (Herzog, Holiday) - 6:13
- "Love Is Here to Stay" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) - 2:18
- "You've Changed" (Carl Fischer, Bill Carey) - 2:59
- "Strange Fruit" (Lewis Allan) - 3:31
- "Good Morning Heartache" (Ervin Drake, Dan Fisher, Irene Higginbotham) - 5:02
- "Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do" (Porter Grainger, Everett Robbins) - 2:44
- "My Man" (Maurice Yvain, André Willemetz, Jacques Charles, Channing Pollock (writer)) - 3:54
- "Fine and Mellow (Reprise)" (Holiday) - 2:06
- "Forums - Greasy Lake Community". Greasylake.org. 2015-12-28. Retrieved 2016-01-22.
- Stolen Moments at Motown link