Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)"|
|Single by Diana Ross|
|from the album Mahogany|
|B-side||"No One's Gonna Be a Fool Forever"|
|Released||September 24, 1975|
|Diana Ross singles chronology|
|45 RPM promotional copy|
Special issue colored vinyl single
"Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)" is a song written by Michael Masser and Gerry Goffin. It was initially recorded by American singer Thelma Houston in 1973, and then by Diana Ross as the theme to the 1975 Motown/Paramount film Mahogany.
Recorded with a full orchestral accompaniment, "Theme from Mahogany" became one of the most recognizable elements of the film, receiving praise from many critics.
Release and track listing
|1.||"Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)"||Gerry Goffin, Michael Masser||3:19|
|2.||"No One's Gonna Be a Fool Forever"||Michael Masser, Pam Sawyer||3:18|
This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Singer Thelma Houston was the first artist to record the song in 1973.
- French singer Nicole Rieu released a French-language version the song (titled "En courant") as a single in 1976.
- Dinah Shore recorded the song for her album Dinah! in 1976.
- Johnny Mathis included the song on his album I Only Have Eyes for You in 1976.
- Shirley Bassey included the song on her album Sings the Movies in 1995.
- 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor released a rap version of the song in 1998
- Mariah Carey included the song on her 1998 compilation album, #1's, as an international bonus track.
- Jennifer Lopez included the song on her 1999 album On the 6, as an international bonus track.
- Tina Arena included the song in her album Songs of Love & Loss in 2007.
- Filipina singer Juris did a cover of this song from the 2013 album, Dreaming Of You.
- Pianist Richard Clayderman included the song on his album Essential Love Songs in 2015.
- List of number-one adult contemporary singles of 1975 (U.S.)
- List of Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles of 1976
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (2003). "Diana Ross". In Bogdanov, Vladimir; Woodstra, Chris; Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (eds.). All Music Guide to Soul. Allmusic. San Francisco: Backbeat Books. p. 587. ISBN 0-87930-744-7. Retrieved 2008-05-17.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 210.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970-1992. St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "CAN Charts > Diana Ross". RPM. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Do You Know Where You're Going To". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- "Charts.nz – Diana Ross – Do You Know Where You're Going To". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved July 13, 2018.
- "UK Charts > Diana Ross". Official Charts. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-1990 - ISBN 9780898200898
- "Archived copy". Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- "Adult Contemporary Music Chart". Billboard. 1975-12-06. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on 2016-01-23. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Top 100 1976 - UK Music Charts". Uk-charts.top-source.info. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1976/Top 100 Songs of 1976". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- Top 50 Adult Contemporary Hits of 1976
- "Top 100 Year End Charts: 1976". Cashbox Magazine. Retrieved 2016-06-05.