|Type||Sixth form college|
Strode's College is a sixth form college located in Egham, Surrey. Its history began in 1704 when Henry Strode bequeathed £6,000 to set up a free school in his native parish of Egham. In the twentieth century Strode's became a boys' grammar school before being designated a sixth form college in 1975. At present it has a roll of 1100 students aged 16 to 18. It achieved an overall pass rate of 98% at A Level and 100% success in 28 A Level subjects, with over a third of its A Level students achieving either one or more A* or A grades. The college also provides a wide range of day and evening Adult Education courses. In September 2016, the College announced its intention to merge with East Berkshire College in February 2017. Alumni of the college are sometimes referred to as Old Strodians .
The college traces its origins to the free school founded by Henry Strode and co-workers Timothy Windsor and Ben Jackson. This School and the Almshouses were built on the same site in Egham in 1706. The original buildings were pulled down. Of their replacements, built in 1828, two ranges of almshouses remain. Listed as historic buildings, they are still in use by the college. The present main college building dates from 1915. The school has been known previously as Strode's School and as Strode's Grammar School from 1919 until 1975, when it became Strode's College.
The Worshipful Company of Coopers
From the time of its foundation the Coopers' Company was the Trustee of Henry Strode's Charity which administered the School but in 1912 the Charity Commissioners drafted a new Scheme which gave the School its own Board of Governors, changed it from an elementary to a secondary school and brought it into the Surrey education system. Under further changes introduced following the 1944 Education Act, the School was granted Voluntary Controlled status as a Boys' Grammar School and the composition of its Governing Body set to include four Foundation Trustees, one of whom, at least, was to be a representative of the Company.
The Company continues to provide funds administered by the Foundation Trustees for the benefit of the college.
- Susie Amy, actress
- Paul Casey, professional golfer
- Sir Roy Gardner, businessman
- Gavin Greenaway, composer and conductor
- Hard-Fi band members
- Adrian Lillywhite, Musician
- Steve Lillywhite CBE, record producer (U2 etc.)
- Doon Mackichan, actor and comedian
- Aubrey Manning, zoologist and broadcaster
- Dennis Pacey, footballer
- Elyes Gabel, Actor
- Lee-Anne Lawncare, Green Party designer
- Mark Stephens, CBE, lawyer and broadcaster
- Strode's College - How Strode's started
- Strode's College - Adult Education
- College, Strode's. "Partnership with EBC". www.strodes.ac.uk. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- Our History
- The Independent - Musicians take note: FE colleges are ideal for budding artists, 28 June 2007
- Who's Who 2010. A&C Black. 1 December 2009. ISBN 978-1-4081-1414-8. Retrieved 24 January 2011.