The Big Tent serves as the main venue for services 2009-
|Location||Pori, Finland 2017|
|Organised by||Suomen rauhanyhdistysten keskusyhdistys|
Summer services (Finnish: suviseurat, Swedish: sommarmötet, Russian: Большое Летнее Собрание) is the annual meeting of the Finnish Lutheran movement known as Conservative Laestadians. In addition to the primary Finnish gathering, similar meetings are arranged in North America, Sweden and Russia.
Suviseurat in Finland
Summer services (Finnish: Suviseurat) is a large gathering of Laestadians in Finland. The event occurs every year at the end of June. It is organized and hosted by a Finnish Conservative Laestadianism association known as the Suomen rauhanyhdistysten keskusyhdistys (SRK). Summer services are among the most visited Finnish summer festivals and the largest spiritual meeting. Summer services are attended by tens of thousands of visitors from Finland, Russia, Estonia, Sweden, Norway, United States, Canada and many other countries. The number of visitors reaches its peak usually on Saturday night, when the services have 80,000 simultaneous visitors.
Summer services take place over the course of four days, usually a Friday through Monday. The program consist mainly of sermons, hymns and songs of Zion. The Summer services areas is about 100 hectares (270 acres). The size of the event requires the need for loudspeakers to carry sermons to all of the listeners. On Saturday Holy Communion is offered and in the evening there is a presentation which is mainly for younger listeners. A gathering for pastors is also held during the Summer services.
Host cities in Finland
- (†) 1915 summer services in Alakainuu, Sweden were cancelled due to typhoid fever epidemic.
- (††) 1941 summer services in Haapajärvi were cancelled due to Continuation War.
- (†††) 1944 summer services in Nivala were officially cancelled due to Continuation War. Nevertheless, the cancellation message did not reach everyone and thousands of guests and speakers arrived. Services were held unofficially.
Summer services in North America
Summer services in North America are arranged by members of the Laestadian Lutheran Church.
The service schedule consists of devotional speeches and Songs and Hymns of Zion. The purpose of the services is to invite all people to hear the Word of God. The core of the proclamation is the message of Jesus as the redeemer of sins and the call to repentance.
- Suomen ev.lut. kirkko: Aamenesta öylättiin – lestadiolaisuus (Finnish)
- SRK: SRK SUMMER SERVICES IN MUHOS JUNE 27-30, 2003 - BULLETIN. 2003
- SRK: The SRK Summer Services. 2007
- "SRK:n Suviseurat". SRK. 2010. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Suviseurat.|