Talk:John Gardner (American writer)
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
I feel this John Gardner article needs some more about his aggressive nature and so I will add something about that. I'm algo going to add a bit about how he taught and mentored the writer Raymond Carver.
Andrew Szanton, 5/06
It's missing a lot of foot-notes, seems overly sympathetic to Gardner, and whites out a lot of Gardner's own moral ambiguities. For instance, was Gardner not drunk when he had his fatal crash? According to the introduction to Nickel Mountain (the one reissued by New Directions--at any rate, I think it was Nickel Mountain, but it could have been October Light or Sunlight Dialogues) he was a frequent drunk motorcyclist with a penchant for speeding.
- Re: "was Gardner not drunk...?" I've never seen that mentioned, but if you think you want to add it, you'll need to provide a reliable source for verifiability. Robert K S (talk) 04:33, 28 February 2010 (UTC)
Random person, 10-7-2011: The bit about Gore Videl disliking Gardner's novels can't be correct. I just read a remark in Vidal's Matters of Fact and Fiction essay collection which indicated he liked Grendel (not that he never changed his mind about an author, or otherwise turned on one). It would seem that Vidal was taking issue with Gardner's polemics/criticism, not his work as a novelist, in the "apostle to the lowbrows" quote. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 16:33, 7 October 2011 (UTC)
Letter by Gardner to students
I wonder if any secondary sources mention this letter?
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on John Gardner (American writer). Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090303050828/http://www.hollandlandoffice.com/06jg.html to http://www.hollandlandoffice.com/06jg.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20130530161956/http://ragazine.cc/2012/02/joel-gardnerinterview/ to http://ragazine.cc/2012/02/joel-gardnerinterview
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.