Cover of the first volume of Terra Formars
|Genre||Action, Horror, Science Fiction|
|Written by||Yū Sasuga|
|Illustrated by||Kenichi Tachibana|
|Magazine||Weekly Young Jump|
|Original run||2011 – ongoing|
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Hiroshi Hamasaki|
|Written by||Shōgo Yasukawa|
|Music by||Shūsei Murai|
|Released||August 20, 2014 – November 28, 2014|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Hiroshi Hamasaki|
|Written by||Shōgo Yasukawa|
|Music by||Shūsei Murai|
|Network||Tokyo MX, ABC, CBC, TV Asahi Channel 1, BS11|
|Original run||September 26, 2014 – December 19, 2014|
|Directed by||Takashi Miike|
Terra Formars (Japanese: テラフォーマーズ Hepburn: Tera Fōmāzu?) is a Japanese manga series written by Yū Sasuga and illustrated by Kenichi Tachibana. It is serialized in Shueisha's magazine Weekly Young Jump since 2011. Viz Media began publishing an English translation in 2014. Two original video animations (OVAs), abridging the Bugs 2 arc were released in 2014, and an animated television series, covering the Annex 1 arc was also shown in 2014;  Also, a spin-off manga titled Terra For Police started on May 10, 2014 in Jump Kai. A live action film adaptation will be directed by Takashi Miike.
In an attempt to colonize Mars, 21st century scientists tasked with terraforming the planet seed it with a modified algae to absorb sunlight and purify the atmosphere, and cockroaches whose corpses spread the algae across the planet as they feed.
Five hundred years later, the first manned ship to Mars lands and its six crew members are attacked by giant mutated humanoid cockroaches with incredible physical strength, later labeled "Terraformars"; the crew is wiped out after sending a warning back to Earth. Decades later, a multinational expedition is sent to exterminate the mutated bugs and take control of the red planet only to be vanquished as well, except for two survivors who manage to return to Earth, one swearing to return and avenge their fallen companions. As a third expedition is assembled, questions are raised about the true origin of the Terraformars and their connection with a deadly virus afflicting mankind.
To fight the Terraformars' strength and agility, members of the second and third expedition undergo genetic modification to inherit the characteristics of other organisms, only possible after having a special organ implanted with a 36% chance of surviving the surgery itself.
- Shokichi Komachi (小町 小吉 Komachi Shōkichi)
- Voiced by: Hidenobu Kiuchi
- Komachi is one of the three Japanese members of the BUGS 2 expedition sent to Mars and one of the only two who survived. Despite disliking conflict, has a strong sense of justice. When he was 15 years old, he saw his childhood friend Nanao's stepfather abusing her and killed the man with his bare hands to protect her. After being released from juvenile prison, he underwent the bugs procedure to follow after her.
- He was 22 years old when he was sent to the second expedition and after seeing almost all his companions killed by the Terraformars including Nanao, he swore to one day return and enact his revenge. He indeed returns 20 years later as the Japanese leader of Annex I's squad 1. Komachi's powers are based on the Asian giant hornet, giving him enhanced strength and the ability to inflict lethal doses of poison with his stings.
- Ichiro Hiruma (蛭間 一郎 Hiruma Ichirō)
- Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita
- The other survivor of the BUGS 2 expedition when he was 18, Hiruma swore to never return to Mars after what happened. Being the eldest of eleven siblings, he tried to betray the rest of the BUGS 2 crew along with one of his comrades, Victoria Wood, an African woman, in order to gain more money by bringing a roach egg, but the egg hatched faster than expected and killed Victoria. He was saved by Shokichi and they fiercely fought the rest of the roaches. He eventually becomes the Prime Minister of Japan and works to enforce his country's position among the countries leading the Annex I mission. Hiruma's powers are based on the sleeping chironomid that just like its larva, bestows him with a seemingly invulnerable carapace along enhanced strength.
- Nanao Akita (秋田 奈々緒 Akita Nanao)
- Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi
- Shokichi's childhood friend and love interest who, after her stepfather was killed by Shokichi, joined the BUGS 2 crew. All she wanted was a peaceful life with Shokichi after returning to Earth, but tragically she was the first victim of the Terraformars when one of the roaches snapped her neck, dying in Shokichi's arms. Her powers were based on the silk moth, but died before being able to show them, until one of the Terraformars managed to copy her powers twenty years later.
- Donatello K. Davis (ドナテロ・K・デイヴス Donatero K Deivusu)
- Voiced by: Rikiya Koyama
- The Captain of the BUGS 2 mission and Michelle's father. His powers were based on the Paraponera clavata, an ant so ferocious that even Army Ants will steer clear of its path, and is believed to be the world's strongest insect. He was capable of splitting in two the previously untouchable roaches with the pure strength of his arms or crush their heads with one hand. His power allowed him to fight off a horde of roaches singlehanded, giving time for his crew to escape. He was murdered by Victoria Wood. His daughter Michelle inherited his ant powers. Twenty years later, Michelle faces a roach that stole his powers.
- Thien (ティン Tin)
- Voiced by: Tomohisa Hashizume
- Coming from Thailand, his powers were based on the desert locust and acquired an extreme leg strength that could decapitate a Terraformar with one kick. He sacrifices himself to allow Shokichi and Ichiro to use the BUGS 2 emergency escape pod to save themselves, after he overdosed on the drug and his body was more locust than human. He dies while being hugged by Komachi, calling him a friend. Twenty years later a cockroach is able to copy his powers.
- Zhang Ming-Ming (張 明明（チョウ ミンミン） Chō Minmin)
- Voiced by: Ayahi Takagaki
- The lieutenant of the BUGS 2 crew, her powers were based on a mantis, that gave her 2 mantis-like arms capable of cutting the roaches. She was killed by one of the evolved cockroaches.
- God Lee (ゴッド・リー Goddo Rī)
- Voiced by: Kenjiro Tsuda
- Coming from Israel, his powers were based on the bombardier beetle, and he was able to mix hydrogen peroxide and hydroquinone just like the bug itself. Combining these two substances, he could then release a spray of extremely hot benzoquinone from his palms, creating a huge explosion, not unlike a flame-thrower. He was the first person to die battling the cockroaches. Twenty years later a roach was able to copy his powers and uses them to kill Sheila.
- Maria Viren (マリア・ビレン Maria Biren)
- Voiced by: Nana Mizuki
- Coming from Russia, her powers were based on the rainbow stag beetle. She was cut in half by one of the roaches swift kick, despite the natural strength of the beetle's shell. Her powers are then used by one of the cockroaches, twenty years later.
- Victoria Wood (ヴィクトリア・ウッド Vikutoria Uddo)
- Voiced by: Ami Koshimizu
- Coming form South Africa, her powers were based on the emerald cockroach wasp, and was capable of enslaving cockroaches by stinging them in the brain and even hiding within their bodies. She tried to betray the rest of the crew alongside Ichiro by bringing a roach egg, but later she revealed her plan on taking over the world using her powers. Unexpectedly the egg hatched and the newly evolved roaches were immune to her poison. She died during the crash landing.
- Akari Hizamaru (膝丸 燈 Hizamaru Akari)
- Voiced by: Yoshimasa Hosoya
- A Japanese member of the Annex I expedition, he is the son of Nanao Akita who performed the Bug Procedure, earning him some latent powers as well. After undergoing the procedure himself, Akari earned the powers of the Japanese bagworm moth allowing him to generate thin but incredibly strong and elastic strings that even the Terraformars are unable to see or break. In combat he combines his strings with martial arts, proving himself deadly even for the special terraformars. His personal battle weapon is a katana that can easily cut the terraformars, much like George Smiles' sword. It is revealed that his innate powers come from the mantis, which grew a sharp mantis-like arm, and made his thread become sharp and filled with thorns.
- Michelle K. Davis (ミッシェル・K・デイヴス Missheru Kei Deivusu)
- Voiced by: Shizuka Itō
- The American leader of the Annex I expedition, Michelle is the daughter of Donatello K. Davis, one of the victims of the BUGS 2 expedition and granddaughter of M. K. Davis, the executive responsible for the BUGS 1 mission. Like Akari, she is the daughter of a subject of the Bug Procedure, which gives Michelle the same powers her father had, that of the Paraponera. It gives her formidable strength and durability allowing her to sustain hits from the roaches and crush them easily. After receiving her M.O. Operation Michelle gained the powers of the blast ant, that give her the ability of exploding her enemies after a couple seconds like a bomb. While facing the Terraformar with her father's powers, she uses her personal battle weapons: six jet propellants (one for each elbow, one for each foot, and two in her back) that makes her incredibly fast and greatly enhances the impact of her blows.
- Marcos Eringrad Garcia (マルコス・エリングラッド・ガルシア Marukosu Eringuraddo Garushia)
- Voiced by: Kaito Ishikawa
- A Mexican boy who joins the Annex I crew alongside his childhood friends Alex and Sheila in order to escape the poverty of his country and gain an American citizenship. His M.O. Operation powers come from the huntsman spider giving him great strength, ferocity and incredible speed that can bypass the roaches, leaving them no time to counterattack. Despite his immeasurable speed, his endurance is a bit low, forcing him to recharge after some time fighting, leaving him vulnerable to attack. In combat Marcos also uses a staff that he calls the "Arachnebuster Mk.II" that he uses to deflect ranged attacks and impale the roaches.
- Alex Kandley Stewart (アレックス・カンドリ・スチュワート Arekkusu Kandori Suchuwāto)
- Voiced by: KENN
- A Mexican boy who joins the Annex I crew alongside his childhood friends Marcos and Sheila in order to gain an American citizenship and become a professional baseball player. His M.O. Operation powers come from the harpy eagle, that allows him to fly and makes his eyesight eight times stronger than humans and his upper-body muscles incredibly strong. Thanks to his great gripping strength Alex is able to throw things so fast that their impact on the target is like a bullet, and thanks to his great eyesight he can throw things from impossible distances so that the enemy don't even see them coming.
- Sheila Levitt (シーラ・レヴィッ Shīra Revitsu)
- Voiced by: Ai Kayano
- A Mexican girl that along with her two childhood friends Marcos and Alex escaped from her country and joined the Annex I to have the American citizenship. She seems to have a crush on Shokichi. She is killed when, while trying to capture a roach, the insect unexpectedly uses the powers of one of the fallen BUGS 2 crew to shoot a hole through her chest. She dies while trying to confess her feelings for Shokichi, to which he apparently understood her.
- Keiji Onizuka (鬼塚 慶次 Onizuka Keiji)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Ono
- A member of the Annex I crew that joined the mission in order to pay the debts of the treatment of his retinal detachment. A former lightweight boxing champion, his M.O. Operation powers come from the peacock mantis shrimp, making him incredibly strong and durable, capable of regenerate any lost limbs after a few minutes with little effort. In addition to their powerful blows, the mantis shrimp also possesses one of the most advanced eyes in the animal kingdom, enabling him to see clearly in pitch-darkness.
- Kanako Sanjō (三条 加奈子 Sanjou Kanako)
- Voiced by: Chiaki Takahashi
- A member of the Annex I crew who joined the mission in order to pay and sever her connections with her disgraced family. Her M.O. Operation powers come from the white-throated needletail, which grants her lightweight skin of amylose and strong chest muscles enough to lift her body in to the air. While flying, she is so fast that the terraformar cannot match her movements. She uses a special body kit weapon with blades that allows her to swiftly kill several terraformars.
- Yaeko Yanasegawa (柳瀬川 八恵子 Yanasegawa Yaeko)
- Voiced by: Aki Toyosaki
- A Japanese girl that joined the Annex Project because of her financial debts. Her M.O. Operation powers come from the striped skunk and is capable of producing a smell so strong even the Terraformars will stay away from her (for some time), but she lacks any offensive capabilities.
- Jared Anderson (ジャレッド・アンダーソン Jareddo Andāson)
- Voiced by: Katsui Taira
- An American man that joined the Annex Project to pay his economical debts. His M.O. Operation powers come from the killer whale, which makes him able to use echolocation by sending out ultrasonic waves and through the reflection of these waves, he is able to accurately locate and identify enemies even if they are underground or not visible. He was shot in throat by the Archer Fish Terraformar and then he sacrificed himself to protect the unconscious members of his team from the Echidna Terraformars.
- Sylvester Asimov (シルヴェスター・アシモフ Shiruvesutā Ashimofu)
- Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka
- The leader of the Russian squad. He chose to join the Annex Project to save his daughter from the deadly A.E. Virus that afflicts Earth. A very perceptive person, he's able to deduce others' base form powers simply by analyzing. He also has his own theories about the origin of the Terraformars' intelligence and adaptability, calling it "The memory left by Rahab". His M.O. Operation powers are those of the Tasmanian giant crab, that grants him incredible strength and durability, being able of taking heavy hits from the roaches without even being damaged and crush them easily. Moreover he is able to eventually regenerate any lost limbs after few minutes with little effort. He's also a samba and judo practitioner.
- Ivan Perepelkin (イワン・ペレペルキナ Iwan Pereperukina)
- Voiced by: Kenji Akabane
- A member of the Russian squad that joined the Annex crew alongside his sister Elena. Unlike the other members of the Russian team, Ivan is always cheerful and positive. After his sister is killed, he tries to act more serious towards his team, with varying results. His M.O. Operation powers come, surprisingly, from the plant Datura stramonium, and makes him able to cause fever, hallucinations, breathing dysfunction and even heart failure to his opponent when hit. He usually applies the wrong dosage of the poison, which ends killing the terraformars outright. In combat Ivan also uses grenades that release his own poison as a gas, poisoning all the targets who inhale the gas.
- Elena Perepelkina (エレナ・ペレペルキナ Erena Pereperukina)
- Voiced by: Romi Park
- A member of the Russian team that joins the Annex project alongside her brother Ivan. Unlike her brother, she is always calm, serious and self-confident. While trying to capture a roach using a special net, the bug unexpectedly uses the super speed powers of one of the fallen members of the BUGS 2 crew to decapitate her.
- Alexander Asimov (アレクサンドル・アシモフ Arekusandoru Ashimofu)
- Voiced by: Toru Nara
- A member of the Russian squad and Sylvester's son in-law, who joined the Annex Project in order to find the cure of the A.E. Virus and save his wife and unborn child. While laid-back, he's extremely loyal to his cause and his comrades. His M.O. Operation powers originate from the Sumatra stag beetle which, while unremarkable, allows him to burn his innards to create smoke and to easily cut the Terraformars. Despite being wounded, he launches a one-man assault against the Chinese Squad inside the Annex in order to kill Hong. He hesitates in killing the girl and is attacked by Jet, Xi and Dorjiberke. He overdoses on the drug and dies when Hong begs him not to kill Xi.
- Nina Yujik (ニーナ・ユージック Nīna Yūjikku)
- Voiced by: Yuko Kaida
- A member of the Russian team who joined the Annex Project alongside her husband, Aaron. Despite the love for her husband, Nina seems to have a mutual attraction towards Ivan Perepelkin. Her M.O. Operation powers come from the Deathstalker scorpion, which makes her able to grow two scorpion like tails, the first from her ponytail and the second from the tailbone, and produce a very dangerous poison. Aside from her M.O. powers, she's a regular practitioner of Sambo, a Russian self-defense martial art, and uses it efficiently in combination with her powers.
- Aaron Yujik (アーロン・ユージック Āron Yūjikku)
- A member of the Russian team who joined the Annex Project alongside his wife Nina. His M.O. Operation powers originate from the Chinese red-headed centipede, that makes his skin (with the exception of his joints) both resilient and hard. He dies while protecting his wife from the Demon Dragonfly Terraformar, and his corpse is taken by the Terraformars.
- Sergei Seleznyov (セルゲイ・セレズニョフ Serugei Serezunyofu)
- A member of the Russian squad. His M.O. Operation powers come from the Japanese mountain mole, which means he's capable of digging tunnels underground very fast thanks to his great claws and strong arms.
- Liu Yiwu (劉 翊武（リュウ イーウ） Ryū Īu)
- Voiced by: Tetsuo Komura
- The leader of the Chinese squad. He betrays the rest of the Annex crew alongside his team under orders from his home country to kidnap Akari and Michelle, and allow his country to study them and find a way to recreate their natural born abilities in order to make China the earth's governing superpower. He and his team not only lied about their purpose, but even their backgrounds and base forms were false. His M.O. Operation powers come from the blue-ringed octopus, which makes him incredibly strong and durable, being able to recover from heavy hits thanks to some type of body regeneration, generate tentacles, and restrain strong opponents. He is also capable of generating a very strong poison from his tentacles and he's also very skilled in kempo. When his countrymen try to kill him and Joseph, he survives and sides with Komachi.
- Jet (ジェット Jetto)
- Voiced by: Hidenori Takahashi
- A member of the Chinese team. Coming from Thailand, his M.O. Operation powers originate from the tiger pistol shrimp, which allows him to send "shock waves" at his enemies. He also possess a special suit with a full-body personal omnidirectional sonar, called "Yellow Prawn-Goby", that allows him to locate enemies in every direction even if he can't see them. He's also quite skilled in different south-Asian martial arts.
- Bao Zhilan (爆 致嵐（バオ ツーラン） Bao Tsūran)
- A member of the Chinese squad very skilled in swordsmanship and hand-to-hand combat. It is later revealed that his M.O. Operation powers come from the sea squirt, which means he was cloned many times, and his amoral personality meant neither he or his clones went insane, and each has a different, albeit very similar personality. One of the clones was killed by Joseph, three more were killed by Marcos, the ones that remained dormant inside the Annex were killed by infiltrated Terraformars, while the remaining ones remain with Liu Yiwu. The true original turned out to be with General Kai aboard the Kuzuryu warship. The true original is killed once and for all by Sylvester.
- Xi Chun-Li (西 春麗（シィ チュンリー） Si Chunrī)
- A member of the Chinese squad. Her M.O. Operation powers come from the Pfeffer's flamboyant cuttlefish, making her able regrow missing limbs and to rapidly alter her skin color at will, making her practically invisible. She is also an expert martial artist. Despite trying to kill Keiji, after he protects Hong, they both agree to work together in order to kill the Ratel Terraformar, before both fall unconscious.
- Hong (紅（ホン） Hon)
- Voiced by: Nozomi Sasaki
- The youngest member of the Chinese Squad. Simple minded and emotive, her M.O. Operation powers come, incredibly, from a lethal bacteria. This makes her a living biological weapon capable of killing every terraformar and human within a certain radius if they do not have a protection suit. She looks up to Xi as an older sister.
- Borgijin Dorjiberke (ボルジギーン・ドルヂバーキ Borujigīn Dorujibāki)
- A member of the Chinese squad from Mongolia with a keen sense of smell, who was almost forced to join the Annex Project. His M.O. Operation powers originate from the gray wolf and his skills are considered in par with the Insect Types. He's defeated (and possibly killed) by the combined efforts of Akari, Yaeko and Eva.
- Adolf Reinhardt (アドルフ・ラインハルト Adorufu Rainharuto)
- Voiced by: Koji Yusa
- The leader of the German squad. He has belonged to the U-NASA from a very young age, since he lost both his parents in a failed Bugs procedure and although he went to school, he was under a strict duty of confidentiality, in addition to the surveillance and health inspection. One day he met a girl and fell in love with her, marrying her and also having a son. After becoming an officer he trained his recruits, becoming a father-figure to them. He eventually found out his wife was having an affair and that his son is most likely not related to him by blood. His M.O. Operation powers come from the electric eel, making his body stronger and more durable, and allowing him to generate incredibly powerful electric shocks from his muscles. Adolf also carries throwing knives that he uses to transmit his electric shocks, allowing them to kill a large group of roaches with a single attack.
- Eva Frost (エヴァ・フロスト Eva Furosuto)
- Voiced by: Ayane Sakura
- A member of the German squad that befriends Akari, Michelle, Sheila, Marcos and Alex. A good hearted and naive girl, but also clumsy and very emotional, prone to collapsing when panicked, but capable of great courage in dire situations. Her family was very overprotective, controlling and hypochondriac, and after they lost their fortune, they sold her to the U-NASA that forced her to undergo the M.O. Operation. Her powers come from the planarian, and allowed her to fully regenerate from the explosion that killed Adolf and the rest of her squad. By absorbing Adolf's cells she now has his electric powers.
- Isabella R. Leon (イザベラ・R・レオン Izabera R Reon)
- Voiced by: Kanako Toujô
- A Brazilian girl and member of the German Squad that acts as a big sister for Eva Frost and the other comrades in her squad. Her M.O. Operation powers belong to the Sia ferox, this grants her ferociousness and makes her legs incredibly strong, being able to move and jump very high easily. She's killed by one of the special Terraformars.
- Joseph Gustav Newton (ジョセフ・グスタフ・ニュートン Josefu Gusutafu Nyūton)
- Voiced by: Akira Ishida
- The leader of the Roma squad. Laid back and a flirt, he's considered the strongest person in the Annex I crew, being powerful enough to take on enough Terraformars to make a mountain-sized pile out of their bodies. He's the culmination of 600 years of selective breeding in humans, with a superior intellect and superhuman strength. His weapon is the same sword used by George Smiles, a member of the BUGS 1 crew, 43 years before. He appears just in time to save Yaeko and Alex from a horde of terraformars, and defeats one of Bao's clones when the latter tries to use Michelle as a decoy. He proposes marriage to Michelle(much to her disbelief) before moving to face Liu Yiwu and the remaining clones. After killing one clone and incapacitating another, he and Liu move to fight one on one. He and Liu are nearly killed by the Chinese, but somehow survive and arrive to help Komachi.
- Wolf Redfield (ウルフ・レッドフィールド Urufu Reddofīrudo)
- Voiced by: Shinnosuke Tachibana
- A member of the American squad who aspires to become and engineer, hence the reason why he joined the Annex Project. His M.O. Operation powers come from the hammerhead shark, which gives him the ampullae of Lorenzini, allowing him to detect even the most minimal electric impulses.
- Peggy Forty (ペギー・フォーティ Pegī Fōti)
- A member of the American squad. Her M.O. Operation powers come from the echidna, being able to dig in the ground with her claws and to grow needles from her body to pierce her enemies. She was killed by the Demon Dragonfly Terraformar. Her powers were then stolen by the cockroaches.
- Erika Nakanojō (中之条 江莉佳 Nakanojou Erika)
- Voiced by: Ai Kakuma
- A member of the American squad. Her M.O. Operation powers come from the Schlegel's Japanese gecko, which gives her toepads that allows her to adhere to most surfaces without the use of liquids or surface tension.
- Amelia Venkatesh (アミリア ヴェンカテッシュ Amiria Venkatesh)
- A member of the American Squad, whose M.O. Operation powers come from the narwhal, growing a horn in her forehead and also allows her to hold her breath for an incredibly long time. She has fallen in love with Keiji. During the infiltration of the Annex, she manages to remain conscious enough to sent a message back to Earth, but is only capable of calling for help, incapable of informing about China's betrayal.
- Alexander Gustav Newton (アレクサンドル・グスタフ・ニュートン Arekusandoru Gusutafu Nyūton)
- Voiced by: Jouji Nakata
- The senior supervisor of U-NASA's BUGS 2 project. He is the one who came up with the idea of the Bugs Procedure as he knew that regular humans didn't stand a chance after his grandson, George Smiles (a member of the BUGS 1 crew) sent a cockroach head to Earth before dying. He observed the BUGS 2 mission from the internal cameras, and understood that the cockroaches learned to use their firearms. He later commented that the roaches have evolved so much on Mars and the humans didn't foresee it. Also that through BUGS 2 Mission, it became clear that the moss that their ancestors planted had been switched.
- Shichisei Hiruma (蛭間 七星 Hiruma Shichisei)
- Voiced by: Toshiyuki Morikawa
- Ichiro's younger brother. He is the major of the Japan Air and Self Defence Force, and deputy commander of the U-NASA's Annex Project.
- Kou Honda (本多 晃 Honda Kō)
- Voiced by: Hiroshi Yanaka
- A professor from Tokyo Institute of Technology that supervised the BUGS 2 mission. He bribed Victoria and Ichiro in order to obtain a cockroach egg and turn it into a military power. After Victoria was killed and he tried to call her, Alexander answered instead; he had found out his plan and told him to just sit and watch as the crew battled the roaches. Twenty years later he went into hiding, until he was found and questioned by Shichisei, who told him all the advances that had taken place since the Bug Procedure. Then he and his research are used as leverage to guarantee Japan will keep the loyalty of the other countries involved with the Annex project, while keeping China in check.
- Goodman (グッドマン Guddoman)
- The President of the USA in 2620 and an ally of Ichiro Hiruma.
- Luke Snorresson (ルーク・スノーレソン Rūku Sunōreson)
- Voiced by: Kosugi Juurouta
- The President of the Roma Federation in 2620. He chooses to remain loyal to Japan after Ichiro Hiruma casually mentions that he found professor Kou Honda. He claims that while Ichiro isn't a bright politician, he recognizes that Hiruma was smart enough to wait until his enemies showed themselves.
- Petra Eheim (ペトラ・エイハイム Petora Eihaimu)
- Voiced by: Yuuko Tachibana
- The Chancellor of Germany in 2620. She chooses to remain loyal to Japan after Ichiro Hiruma casually mentions that he found professor Kou Honda.
- Yuriko Minamoto (源 百合子 Minamoto Yuriko)
- Voiced by: Haruka Tomatsu
- An orphan and Akari's childhood friend. She was one of the many infected by the A.E. Virus and needed a transplant in order to live longer, but died 2 days before Akari met Shokichi and Michelle.
- Sakurato Harukaze (春風 桜人 Harukaze Sakurato)
- Voiced by: Yuzu Aoki
- A ten-year-old boy infected with the A.E. Virus that Akari befriends during his training at the U-NASA. Akari promises him to find a cure for his illness on the day he embarks to Mars, despite Michelle telling him not to give him much hope. He's currently hospitalized at the U-NASA.
- Gina S. Asimov (ジーナ・S・アシモフ Jīna S Ashimofu)
- Voiced by: Akeno Watanabe
- Sylvester's daughter and Alexander's wife, who became infected with the A.E. Virus during her pregnancy. While at first rejected Alexander's advances, his perseverance made her fall in love with him. She's currently hospitalized in the U-NASA.
- Rosa Reinhardt (ローザ・ラインハルト Rōza Rainharuto)
- Voiced by: Minako Kotobuki
- Adolf's wife, whom he met during his college days. She cheated on her husband a year before he embarked to Mars, having a child with another man. Despite that, Adolf still cared about her, as he was afraid of losing the only person that made him feel "human".
- Jessica Bellwood (ジェシカ・ベルウッド Jeshika Berūddo)
- Voiced by: Yuriko Yamaguchi
- A scientist working for the German branch of the U-NASA. Her husband, Thomas Bellwood, was a crew member of the BUGS 1 mission. She's the one who told Adolf that his son wasn't his.
- Rokka Hiruma (蛭間 六嘉 Hiruma Rokka)
- Voiced by: Takahiro Mizushima
- Ichiro and Shichisei's younger brother, who was sent to the German Branch of the U-NASA to discuss Akari's powers.
The main antagonists who hold an innate hatred for all humans. They are 2m tall martian cockroaches with humanoid bodies similar to Homo erectus. Their internal anatomy is nearly identical to that of regular cockroaches, as they remain mobile even when decapitated as long as the Suboesophageal ganglion is intact and there is an open passage to the lungs. They don't feel pain and retain the abilities of standard cockroaches, such as incredible speed, strength and resistance on a human scale, allowing them to easily defeat a normal human.
Their insect ancestry is revealed by small antenna, a pair of cerci above their posterior, and the elytra covering the wings. They are animalistic, adaptable, bent on survival, and individually intelligent to different degrees. While they don't appear to have social structure, the Evolved Terraformars display a degree of leadership, rallying their brothers into a capable fighting force.
There are different types of terraformars, having adapted quickly during the BUGS 2 mission; the Annex I mission discovered some had incorporated dead BUGS 2 crewmembers capabilities, somehow copying the Bugs Procedure.
|No.||Original release date||Original ISBN||English release date||English ISBN|
|1||April 19, 2012||ISBN 978-4-08-879270-5||July 15, 2014||ISBN 978-1421571546|
|2||August 17, 2012||ISBN 978-4-08-879396-2||September 16, 2014||ISBN 978-1421571553|
|3||November 19, 2012||ISBN 978-4-08-879459-4||November 18, 2014||ISBN 978-1421571560|
|4||February 19, 2013||ISBN 978-4-08-879523-2||January 20, 2015||ISBN 978-1421571577|
|5||May 17, 2013||ISBN 978-4-08-879561-4||March 17, 2015||ISBN 978-1421571584|
|6||August 19, 2013||ISBN 978-4-08-879630-7||May 19, 2015||ISBN 978-1421571591|
|7||November 19, 2013||ISBN 978-4-08-879684-0||July 21, 2015||ISBN 978-1421577982|
|8||February 19, 2014||ISBN 978-4-08-879754-0||September 15, 2015||ISBN 978-1421578682|
|9||May 19, 2014||ISBN 978-4-08-879796-0||—||—|
|10||August 20, 2014||ISBN 978-4-08-879796-0||—||—|
|11||November 19, 2014||ISBN 978-4-08-890042-1||—||—|
|12||February 19, 2015||ISBN 978-4-08-890118-3||—||—|
|13||May 19, 2015||ISBN 978-4-08-890154-1||—||—|
|No.||Title||Original air date[a]|
"SYMPTOM Hen'i" (SYMPTOM 変異)
|September 26, 2014|
|2||"Departure: For the Front"
"DEPARTURE Shutsujin" (DEPARTURE 出陣)
|October 3, 2014|
|3||"To Mars: To the Planet of Calamity"
"TO MARS Wazawai no Hoshi e" (TO MARS 災いの星へ)
|October 10, 2014|
|4||"War: All-Out War"
"WAR Zenmen Sensō" (WAR 全面戦争)
|October 17, 2014|
|5||"Exceptional Two: The Miracle Child"
"EXCEPTIONAL TWO Kiseki no ko" (EXCEPTIONAL TWO 奇跡の子)
|October 24, 2014|
"2 MINUTES 2-Funkan" (2 MINUTES 2分間)
|October 31, 2014|
|7||"Crab: Brave Warrior"
"Crab Mōshi" (CRAB 猛士)
|November 7, 2014|
|8||"Der Zitteraal: The Electric Organism"
"DER ZITTERAAL Dengeki Seibutsu" (DER ZITTERAAL 電撃生物)
|November 14, 2014|
|9||"Too Sad to Die: A Single Drop From a Thunderstorm"
"TOO SAD TO DIE Raiu no Hitotsubu" (TOO SAD TO DIE 雷雨の一粒)
|November 21, 2014|
"DESIRE Negai" (DESIRE 願い)
|November 28, 2014|
"BOXER Bokusā" (BOXER ボクサー)
|December 5, 2014|
|12||"Shooting star: On Track and Reckless"
"SHOOTING STAR Kidō to mukidō" (SHOOTING STAR 軌道と無軌道)
|December 12, 2014|
|13||"Terra For Mars: This Way and That Way"
"TERRA FOR MARS Kanata to Konata" (TERRA FOR MARS 彼方と此方)
|December 19, 2014|
It was number one on the 2013 Kono Manga ga Sugoi! Top 20 Manga for Male Readers survey. It was placed second in Zenkoku Shotenin ga Eranda Osusume Comic 2013, a 2013 ranking of the top 15 manga recommended by Japanese bookstores. It was nominated for the 6th Manga Taishō. The 6th volume reached the number one place on the Oricon weekly manga chart in the week of August 19–25, 2013, with 317,248 copies. As of February 2015, Terra Formars 11 first volumes have sold over 10 million copies.
- Tokyo MX uses an after-midnight schedule so the first episode was advertised for September 26 at 24:30 which is the same as September 27, 2014 at 12:30 am.
- "Viz Adds Terra Formars, Ore Monogatari, Black Rose Alice Manga". Anime News Network. October 11, 2013. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Terra Formars OVA & TV Anime's Teaser Streamed". Anime News Network. March 22, 2014. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Terra Formars Spinoff Manga to Start on May 10". Anime News Network. April 9, 2014. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Terra Formars Gets Live-Action Film by Takashi Miike". Anime News Network. February 6, 2015. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- テラフォーマーズ 1 (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Terra Formars, Volume 1". Viz Media. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- テラフォーマーズ 2 (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Terra Formars, Volume 2". Viz Media. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- テラフォーマーズ 3 (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Terra Formars, Volume 3". Viz Media. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- テラフォーマーズ 4 (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Terra Formars, Volume 4". Viz Media. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- テラフォーマーズ 5 (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Terra Formars, Volume 5". Viz Media. Retrieved July 14, 2015.
- テラフォーマーズ 6 (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Terra Formars, Volume 6". Viz Media. Retrieved July 14, 2015.
- テラフォーマーズ 7 (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Terra Formars, Volume 7". Viz Media. Retrieved July 14, 2015.
- テラフォーマーズ 8 (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Terra Formars, Volume 8". Viz Media. Retrieved July 14, 2015.
- テラフォーマーズ 9 (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- テラフォーマーズ 10 (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- テラフォーマーズ 11 (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved November 21, 2014.
- テラフォーマーズ 12 (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved March 10, 2015.
- テラフォーマーズ 13 (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved July 14, 2015.
- "Terra Formars Anime's Final Ad Teases Premiere". Anime News Network. 2014-09-25. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Top Manga Ranked by Kono Manga ga Sugoi 2013 Voters". Anime News Network. 2012-12-10. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "Japanese Bookstores Recommend 15 Top Manga of 2013". Anime News Network. 2013-02-04. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "Akimi Yoshida's Umimachi Diary Wins 6th Manga Taisho Award". Anime News Network. 2013-03-21. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- 2013年08月19日～2013年08月25日のコミック（2013年09月02日付） (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- テラフォーマーズ ： コミックス1000万部突破 4年で大台に. Mainichi Shimbun Digital (in Japanese). 2015-02-11. Retrieved 2015-04-20.