Lost Song (TV series)
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Junpei Morita|
|Written by||Junpei Morita|
|Music by||Yūsuke Shirato|
|Studio||Liden Films, Dwango|
|Original network||Netflix, Tokyo MX, Sun TV, TV Aichi, BS Fuji, KBS Kyoto|
|Original run||March 31, 2018 – June 16, 2018|
Lost Song (ロスト ソング Rosuto Songu) is a musical fantasy anime television series produced by Liden Films in collaboration with Dwango and Mages. The project stars musician Konomi Suzuki as Rin and voice actress Yukari Tamura as Finis. The series was revealed in an announcement during a birthday concert held by Suzuki in November 2016. The series was first released online in Japan through Netflix on March 31, 2018, followed by a TV airing on Tokyo MX, Sun TV, TV Aichi, BS Fuji and KBS Kyoto on April 7, 2018. Netflix began streaming the series globally on September 30, 2018.
Rin is an energetic countryside girl who is on a journey to the Capital to sing. In the Capital, Songstress Finis is spending time alone and preparing to help the war front. Rin and Finis each have the power of songs. Rin possessed the power of songs from a young age, but realizes that she has an innate connection with Finis. Both are having a hard journey with their songs. As two destinies meet, will the final song be one of hope or of despair?
- Rin (リン Rin)
- Voiced by: Konomi Suzuki (Japanese); Cherami Leigh (English)
- Rin is an energetic young girl harboring a passion for singing living with her younger brother Al, older sister Mel and grandfather Talgia Hokley in a reclusive village near a forest. She discovers her ability to sing Spirit Songs, legendary songs that can manipulate the four elements of the world and bring about miracles. Unlike Finis, her songs energise her instead of taking away her lifespan. After Mel and Talgia died, she promised to live her dream of singing with the Royal Orchestra in the Capital and save as many lives as she can with her power. Rin was originally a part of Finis, the last bit of Finis' hope and Song of Healing, who came to existence after Finis sang the Song of Destruction. Singing the Song of Healing to grant Finis' wish to destroy, the restore the world; ultimately it would lead to her "death" but follows through with it knowing what would happen. After the duet is completed, Rin's being disperses and re-merges with Finis as the verse states that hope (Rin) would disappear after the wish is fulfilled. A memorial is created using the Original Henry's sword as a marker; however, with the revelation of Finis' pregnancy, it is implied that Rin will be reborn back into the world.
- Finis (フィーニス Fīnisu)
- Voiced by: Yukari Tamura (Japanese); Melissa Fahn (English)
- Finis is a beautiful, clumsy, naïve and innocent young woman with the ability to sing Spirit Songs, although they eat away at her lifespan each time she does. Because of her ability, she was captured and married to the Prince to work as a human weapon for war. Believing she was helping people and later for her lover Henry, she followed his orders until she accidentally killed Henry, driving her insane. With the last of her lifespan she sang the forbidden Song of Destruction she had been crafting, which was a song designed to gift her immortality in exchange for the collapse and continuous reset of the world. After singing the Song of Beginning, her hope (Rin) returned to her. The last scene seen of her is when Corte finds her, heavily pregnant; indicating that Rin maybe reborn back into the world.
- Pony Goodlight / Alea Golt (ポニー・グッドライト Ponī Guddoraito)
- Voiced by: Chiaki Takahashi (Japanese); Reba Buhr (English)
- Pony is a kind minstrel that used to work at the royal palace and Rin and Al's first companion on their journey to the Capital. She was the eye of the alternate Henry after see her perform; according to Henry, she was originally thought to be lost during war. She has a great talent for music and is often seen carrying a mini portable piano around to play songs on. After she quit her job, she got most of her money from winning bets. She also has a great fear of bugs and can appreciates flattery. She is the Princess, later Queen, of Golt Kingdom.
- Monica Lux (モニカ・ルックス Monika Rukkusu)
- Voiced by: Asami Seto (Japanese); Cassandra Morris (English)
- Monica is Allu's younger sister and a rhythmist. It is characteristic of her to wear a pink zipper bunny suit, and fall asleep when she is afraid. Along with Allu, she gave up her dream of entering the Royal Orchestra to work as rhythmists to heal their mother's blindness. Apart from drumming and keeping time, she is also a good singer, and can imitate any music perfectly after hearing it just once, so she can amplify Rin's powers from time to time.
- Allu Lux (アル Aru Rukkusu)
- Voiced by: Misaki Kuno (Japanese); Kira Buckland (English)
- Allu is Monica's oldest sister and a rhythmist. She is the bravest of the sisters and is very protective of her younger sister, although sometimes her harsh attitude can come off as rude. Along with Monica, she gave up her dream of entering the Royal Orchestra to work as rhythmists to heal their mother's blindness.
- Henry Leobort (ヘンリー・レオボルト Henrī Reoboruto)
- Voiced by: Seiichirō Yamashita (Japanese); Kyle McCarley (English)
- Henry is a handsome, brave and caring knight well known for his noble family heritage and expert swordsmanship. Because he was the only one that looked at Finis as a human instead of a weapon, she fell in love with him and so did he. He is killed by Finis, who didn't know it was him; after Prince Rudo fooled her into executing a traitor. He reincarnated several time during different eras; such as being witness to Finis' being burned at the stake to a glasses wearing scientist who is married with children; meeting Finis in some form; and in some cases, witnessing her Song of Destruction firsthand.
- Corte (コルテ Korute)
- Voiced by: Ai Kayano (Japanese); Kira Buckland (English)
- Corte is Finis' personal maid who is one other person who cared for her as a human. While trying to feed the Prince Rudo poison to let her lady and Henry escape together. However, she is found out and the plan backfiring; she is then and forced to drink the poison. He final moments was the sight of Finis and Henry. After the world is saved from yet another reset, she became Finis' protector.
- Mel (メル Meru)
- Voiced by: Ai Kayano (Japanese); Kira Buckland (English)
- Mel is Al and Rin's older sister who also acts as a motherly figure to them. She is found by Rin and Al mortally wounded. Rin tries to use Song of Healing to save her, but comes too late. She wishes for Rin to sing at the Capital before ultimately dying from her wounds.
- Bazra Bearmors (バズラ・ベアモルス Bazura Beamorusu)
- Voiced by: Tsuyoshi Koyama (Japanese); Keith Silverstein (English)
- Bazra is the ruthless general of the army and Talgia's successor. Unlike his predecessor, he is a ruthless, violent and wicked man that withholds information from the royal family for his personal gain. He started as a regular mercenary, but then stumbled upon Finis and witnessing her power firsthand; used her powers as a tool of war and rising in the ranks of the Capital Army as General; much to Talgia, Weissen, and Henry's disdain. Talgia dueled him, but cheated using one of Weissen's inventions causing him to burn Talgia's right hand. After he and his men witness Rin use song to heal Henry, he decides to attack Rin's village; once again crossing paths with Talgia; which resulted in the destruction of the village. Bazra attempts to use the Symphony Killer weapon to destroy Golt, but is defeated by the combined efforts of Henry and Al.
- Rudo Bernstein IV (ルード・ベルンシュタイン4世 Rūdo Berunshutain 4-sei)
- Voiced by: Yuuto Suzuki (Japanese); Todd Haberkorn (English)
- Rudo is the cunning, manipulative and cold-hearted prince of the country. He desires to use Finis as a human weapon to win the war. After he used her to kill Henry, he was destroyed in her Song of Mortality.
- During Rin's present, now known as Rudo Golt, he looks a bit more younger and has blond hair. He is also Alea Golt's (Pony) brother. Unlike the original, he was opposed to using Finis as a human weapon. He was oppose to Bazra's methods as not only it was reckless, but put the kingdom's economy in jeopardy. After, Bazra's attack, he fell into the waterfall, but was saved by Henry's loyal men, Snore and Berrow; also, telling him that King Golt has died causing him to curse Bazra. He is present at his sister, Alea, side during her coronation.
- Doctor Weissen (ドクター・ヴァイゼン Dokutā Vuaizen)
- Voiced by: Mitsuru Ogata
- Dr. Weissen is a famous scientist, physicist and inventor that used to conduct research for the army in bringing about peace for the country. With the beginning of the war, Bazra and the army started to use his inventions for killing purposes by enhancing the destructive nature of Finis' songs; to which Dr. Weissen disapproved of. As such, they submerged his entire lab, drowned his lab assistants, and stole his inventions, in addition to making him lose hope. Upon meeting Rin and her companions, she saved his lab and he lets Al stay with him as his assistant. He was the best friend of Talgia and was surprised to learn that Rin was his granddaughter. He also the first to learn from Rin about the consequence of singing the Song of Healing during the Star Festival.
- Talgia Hawkray (タルジア・ホークレイ Tarujia Hōkurei)
- Voiced by: Hiroshi Ito (Japanese); Michael Sorich (English)
- Talgia is Al, Rin and Mel's grandfather who strongly disapproves of Rin singing, revealing that he knew about her power ever since she was young as he knew the Capital would attempt to use Rin as a weapon just like Finis. Before he moved to the village, he was a strong commander and general in the army until he started to realize its brutal methods of violence and bloodshed. He dueled with Bazra in attempts from stopping him from using the Song of Destruction; but lost due to Bazra using one of Weissen's inventions, which burned his right hand. However, Rin used her Song of Healing to heal his hand; thus vowed to protect Rin from the Capital. He was also a good friend of Weissen.
- Voiced by: Katsuhiro Tokuishi (Japanese); Arnaud Laurent (English)
- Snore is burly bearded man who wields a giant hammer. His first incarnation was a cynical mercenary who fought the front lines and mocked Henry for being a spoiled rich kid and tried to scare him saying the frontline soldiers are discarded trash meant to die. However, overtime and witnessing Henry's resolve, he begins to respect him. He also comes to befriend Finis. After the end of the war, he swears loyalty to Henry. It is unclear of his first demise, either by execution for swearing loyalty to Henry or the Song of Destruction.
- His alternate is no different from his past self, but seems to be more cheerful. He serves as a member of Henry's rebellion against the Capital.
- Voiced by: Isamu Yūsen (Japanese); Julien Chatelet (English)
- Berrow is skinny man who wields a saber. Like Snore, was a mercenary who served the front line. He also comes to befriend Finis. After the end of the war, he swears loyalty to Henry. It is unclear of his first demise, either by execution for swearing loyalty to Henry or the Song of Destruction.
- His alternate is more or less the same. He serves as a member of Henry's rebellion against the Capital.
The opening theme is "Utaeba Soko ni Kimi ga Iru Kara" (歌えばそこに君がいるから If I Sing, You Will Be There) by Konomi Suzuki, and the ending theme is "Tears Echo" by Yukari Tamura. Both songs was released on May 23, 2018.
A new project was announced on September 24, 2018.
- "LOST SONG | Netflix Official Site". www.netflix.com. Retrieved 2018-11-26.
- "MAGES. Reveals Lost Song Original TV Anime Starring Konomi Suzuki, Yukari Tamura". Anime News Network. January 10, 2017. Archived from the original on 2017-01-11. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "Yukari Tamura Stars in Upcoming Untitled TV Anime Project". December 9, 2016. Archived from the original on 2016-12-14. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "Singer Konomi Suzuki Makes Major Voice-Acting Debut as Star of New TV Anime". Anime News Network. November 5, 2016. Archived from the original on 2017-01-08. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "Lost Song Anime's 2nd Promo Video Reveals March 31 Premiere on Netflix Japan". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 2018-09-25. Retrieved 2018-10-17.
- "Lost Song Anime's Promo Video Reveals More Cast, Staff, Opening Song". Anime News Network. September 23, 2017. Archived from the original on 2017-10-04. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- "Netflix Streams 2 Ads for Lost Song Anime to Mark Premiere in Japan". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 2018-06-17. Retrieved 2018-11-26.
- "Lost Song Anime's 3rd Promo Video Previews Story". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 2018-06-18. Retrieved 2018-11-26.
- "Netflix Confirms Lost Song Anime Will Debut Outside Japan Later This Year". Anime News Network. March 16, 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-04-16. Retrieved March 16, 2018.
- "Lost Song Anime to Premiere Outside Japan on September 30". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 2018-10-17. Retrieved 2018-11-26.
- "Lost Song Anime's Introduction Video Streamed". Anime News Network. October 10, 2017. Archived from the original on 2017-11-07. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- "The Song of Healing". Lost Song. Episode 1. USA: Netflix. Event occurs at Closing credits, English Language Cast.
- "Yukari Tamura Performs Ending Theme for Lost Song Anime". Anime News Network. February 25, 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-02-26. Retrieved February 25, 2018.
- "Lost Song Anime Gets 'New Project'". Anime News Network. September 24, 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-09-24. Retrieved September 24, 2018.