The Buddha and His Dhamma
|Author||B. R. Ambedkar|
|Publisher||Siddhartha College Publications, Mumbai|
|Followed by||Dr. Babasheb Ambedkar: Writings and Speeches, Vol. 12. Unpublished writings ; Ancient Indian commerce ; Notes on laws ; Waiting for a visa ; Miscellaneous notes, etc.|
The Buddha and His Dhamma, is a treatise on Buddha's life and philosophy. It was the last work of Indian statesman and scholar B. R. Ambedkar. According to Queen (2015), the text is treated as scripture for those who follow Navayana Buddhism.
The Buddha and His Dhamma was first published in 1957 in the year following Ambedkar's death on 6 December 1956. Written in English, the book has been translated to many languages, including Hindi, Gujarati, Telugu, Tamil, Marathi, Malayalam, and Kannada.
It was republished in 1979 as the eleventh volume of Ambedkar's collected writings and speeches, with a list of sources and an index.
B.R. Ambedkar mentioned that it is one of the three books which he believed to form a set for the proper understanding of Buddhism. The other two books are:
- Buddha and Karl Marx; and
- Revolution and Counter-Revolution in Ancient India.
In popular culture
- Ambedkar, B. R. The Buddha and His Dhamma, retrieved 2008-12-27
- Queen, Christopher (2015). Emmanuel, Steven M. (ed.). A Companion to Buddhist Philosophy. John Wiley & Sons. pp. 529–531. ISBN 978-1-119-14466-3.
- Ambedkar, Babasheb, Dr. (1979) . The Buddha and His Dhamma (PDF). Education Department. Dr. Babasheb Ambedkar, writings and speeches. 11. Government of Maharashtra. Retrieved 2021-03-22.
- Ambedkar, B.R. "Preface / unpublished". Columbia University.
- "Film on Buddha based on Ambedkar's book to be released on March 15". The Times of India. 13 March 2013. Archived from the original on 15 November 2013. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- Ambedkar, Bhimrao Ramji (2011). Rathore, Aakash Singh; Verma, Ajay (eds.). The Buddha and his Dhamma: A critical edition. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198068679.
- Baumann, Martin (1991). "Neo-Buddhistische Konzeptionen in Indien und England: Zum 100. Geburtstag Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkars". Zeitschrift für Religions- und Geistesgeschichte, 43 (2), pp. 97-116.
- Fiske, Adele & Emmrich, Christoph (2004). The use of Buddhist scriptures in B.R. Ambedkar's The Buddha and His Dhamma. [In] Jondhale, Surendra; Beltz, Johannes (eds.). Reconstructing the World: B.R. Ambedkar and Buddhism in India. New Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- Sangharakshita (1986). "The Buddha and his Dhamma". Ambedkar and Buddhism (PDF) (1st ed.). Windhorse.
- "The Buddha And His Dhamma". Columbia University. Book Online