The Buddha and His Dhamma
|Author||Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar|
|Publisher||Siddhartha College Publications, Mumbai|
|Followed by||Babasheb Ambedkar, writings and speeches, v. 12. Unpublished writings ; Ancient Indian commerce ; Notes on laws ; Waiting for a visa ; Miscellaneous notes, etc.|
The Buddha and His Dhamma, a treatise on Buddha's life and Buddhism, was the last work of Indian statesman and scholar B. R. Ambedkar. It was first published in 1957 after Ambedkar's death on 6 December 1956. According to Christopher Queen, the text is the scripture for those who follow Navayana Buddhism.
It was again Published in 1979 by the Education Department of the Government of Maharashtra as the eleventh volume of Ambedkar's collected writings and speeches, with a list of sources and an index. Written in English, the book has been translated to many languages including Hindi, Gujarati,Telugu, Tamil, Marathi, Malayalam, and Kannada.
B. R. Ambedkar mentioned that it is one of the three books which will form a set for the proper understanding of Buddhism. The other books are: (i) Buddha and Karl Marx; and (ii) Revolution and Counter-Revolution in Ancient India.
- Ambedkar, B. R. The Buddha and His Dhamma, retrieved 2008-12-27
- Christopher Queen (2015). Steven M. Emmanuel, ed. A Companion to Buddhist Philosophy. John Wiley & Sons. pp. 529–531. ISBN 978-1-119-14466-3.
- Dr.Babasheb Ambedkar, writings and speeches, volume 11
- Ambedkar, Bhimrao Ramji; Rathore, Aakash Singh; Verma, Ajay (eds) (2011). The Buddha and his dhamma: a critical edition. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198068679.
- Baumann, Martin (1991). Neo-Buddhistische Konzeptionen in Indien und England: Zum 100. Geburtstag Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkars, Zeitschrift für Religions- und Geistesgeschichte 43 (2), pp. 97-116
- Fiske, Adele and Christoph Emmrich (2004). The use of Buddhist scriptures in B.R. Ambedkar's The Buddha and His Dhamma. In: Jondhale, Surendra; Beltz, Johannes (eds.). Reconstructing the world: B.R. Ambedkar and Buddhism in India. New Delhi: Oxford University Press
- Sangharakshita (1986). "The Buddha and his Dhamma". Ambedkar and Buddhism (PDF) (1st ed.). Windhorse.