|Founded||1998 (As MiTV Networks Sdn Bhd)|
|Headquarters||Berjaya Times Square, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Tan Sri Vincent Tan
Wong Heang Tuck (CEO)
Number of employees
U Mobile Sdn Bhd (223969-U) is a Malaysian mobile telecommunications service provider and was founded in 1998 as MiTV Networks Sdn Bhd. U Mobile is a wholly owned subsidiary of U Television Sdn Bhd, which was formerly known as U Telecom Media Holdings Sdn Bhd and MiTV Corporation Sdn Bhd.
The company utilises the 018 and 011 prefix allocated to the organisation by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC), although with the implementation of mobile number portability mandated by the Malaysian government this does not apply to subscribers who switched from their old mobile service provider over to U Mobile.
Coverage, Products and Services
|900 MHz (900~905, 945~950)||2 * 5 MHz||UMTS|
|1800 MHz (1730~1745, 1825~1840)||2 * 15 MHz||LTE|
|2100 MHz (1920~1935, 2110~2125)||2 * 15 MHz||UMTS/HSPA|
|2600 MHz (2520~2530, 2640~2650)||2 * 10 MHz||LTE|
In April 2007, U Television Sdn Bhd signed the country's first nationwide domestic roaming memorandum of understanding, which led to an agreement with the mobile network operator Celcom Axiata Bhd allowing U Mobile’s customers nationwide coverage while U Mobile rolled out its own high-speed mobile 3G service nationwide. The agreement was completed in June 2007.
In March 2008, U Mobile launched its first publicly available product called "Surf with U", a data-only plan for mobile users provided using U Mobile's HSDPA-driven mobile network. The following month, it rolled out its first mobile service, the postpaid U38 plan. In July, U Mobile launched two new postpaid services, U68 and U98, and the 018 Prepaid service.
On 31 August 2013, U Mobile announced that En. Jaffa Sany Bin Md Ariffin has been terminated as the Chief Executive Officer and ceased to be an employee of U Mobile due to disciplinary action. Accordingly, he is not authorised to act for and on behalf of the Company in respect of any matter with immediate effect. He was appointed as Chief Executive Officer of U Mobile on 1 June 2012.
In February 2014, U Mobile was awarded as the “Best Data Service Provider” award at the PC.com 13th Reader’s Choice Awards.
On 1 April 2014, U Mobile announced the appointment of Wong Heang Tuck as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) effective 1 April 2014, Jasmine Lee as Chief Marketing Officer (CMO), and Alex Tan as Chief Sales Officer (CSO) effective 1 January 2014
On 9 September 2014, U Mobile has partnered with edotco, Southeast Asia’s first independent communications infrastructure services company, to accelerate network rollout and improve customer experience.
On 4 December 2014, U Mobile extends its ongoing partnership with leading network solutions provider – ZTE Corporation and Huawei Technologies – to further upgrade and enhance its network coverage footprint, staying true to its commitment of providing superior high speed mobile experience catering to its growing pool of subscribers.
In April 2015, U Mobile won four customer experience-related accolades at the 2015 Frost & Sullivan Excellence in Customer Experience Awards. In Frost & Sullivan’s annual Malaysia Telecommunication Services Customer Experience study, U Mobile aced the online survey conducted by the analyst to measure customer experience in the telecommunication sector in Malaysia. U Mobile took home the Best Overall Experience, Best Contact Centre Experience, Best Mobile Experience and Best Net Promoter Score awards under the ‘Excellence in Customer Experience Management, Telecommunications Industry’ category – making the telco one of the biggest winners of the night.
On 28 May 2015, U Mobile and Telekom Malaysia Berhad collaborated for the provisioning of backhaul connectivity services through TM Next-Gen Backhaul™ (NGBH) services as part of the telco’s continuous commitment to achieve network excellence for superior customer experience. The agreement is sealed for a period of 9 years. The collaborative deal was signed by Mohamad Rozaimy Abd. Rahman, Executive Vice President, Global & Wholesale, TM and Too Tian Jen, Chief Technology Officer, U Mobile.
On 27 August 2015, U Mobile sealed a partnership with ZTE Corporation, the leading global provider of telecommunications, equipment and network solutions, to drive the development of pre-5G and future implementation of 5G mobile network technologies locally. Under the latest collaboration, U Mobile is the first telco in Malaysia to enter into the phase of 5G network development.
On 21 December 2015, U Mobile announced that D.Y.M.M. Sultan Ibrahim Ismail Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar Al-Haj (“DYMM Sultan Ibrahim”) has acquired a further 5% stake in the company to increase his stake to 15%. DYMM Sultan Ibrahim acquired his initial 10% stake in U Mobile in 2014.
In February 2016, U Mobile confirms that it has been allocated with 15 years spectrum assignment of 2x5MHz of 900 MHz and 2x15MHz of 1800 MHz for full nationwide implementation starting 1 January 2017.
In March 2016, U Mobile announced that it has partnered with Football Malaysia Limited Liability Partnership (FMLLP) to be the Official Co-Sponsor of the Superbest Power Piala FA and Liga Premier Malaysia for three years, starting from the 2016 season. U Mobile will be the Exclusive Telecommunications Partner for the two premier football competitions. The partnership with FMLLP will give U Mobile marketing, promotion and engagement opportunities around the two competitions, in-stadium branding, corporate hospitality and use of the club and player image rights for advertising purposes.
On 3 May 2016, U Mobile has signed an agreement with SACOFA Sdn Bhd, the company with the exclusive rights to construct, own and manage communication infrastructures in Sarawak. With this partnership, U Mobile will be able to leverage upon SACOFA’s telecoms infrastructure footprint of over 700 sites state-wide, as well as its bandwidth leasing service to expedite network expansion and to enhance service quality in Sarawak.
On 26 May 2016, U Mobile become the first carrier in Malaysia to support Wi-Fi calling, initially only supporting iPhone owners owning iPhone 5c or later running iOS 9.3 and above. Wi-Fi calling for Android users are only supported on selected devices.
On 28 Jun 2017, U Mobile is terminating its network sharing and alliance agreement with Maxis Bhd which was signed in 2011. Maxis said on Wednesday the termination would take place in stages over 18 months and the completion date is on 27 December 2018.
The major shareholder of U Mobile includes Straits Mobile Investments Pte. Ltd (49%), followed by U Telemedia Sdn Bhd (21.46%), DYMM Sultan Ibrahim (15%), Magnum Bhd (6.33%), Tan Sri Vincent Tan Chee Yioun (6.2%) and Berjaya Infrastructure Sdn Bhd (2.01%).
U Mobile's partners include:
- Atos Origin: Integrator of the BSCS iX Release 2 Billing System
- LHS: Supplier of the BSCS iX Release 2 Billing System
- Ericsson: High-Speed Packet Access (HSPA) solutions and management provider
- Nokia Siemens Networks: Implementation, integration, and application development of DVB-H services, including the maintenance of MiTV’s infrastructure on a turnkey basis
- Maxis: Nationwide domestic roaming partner. U Mobile is roaming on Maxis' 2G network nationwide, shares the 2100 MHz spectrum/3G network on the area outside Klang Valley, Ipoh, Johor Bahru, Penang and Negeri Sembilan.
- Rohde & Schwarz Malaysia: Supplier of low, medium and high powered digital television transmitters for the rollout implementation and coverage expansion of U Mobile’s Mobile LiveTV.
- Huawei: Telecommunication equipment provider, from access layers to core transmissions.
- ZTE: Telecommunication equipment provider
- Telekom Malaysia: Provisioning of backhaul connectivity services through TM Next-Gen Backhaul (NGBH) services
- "Spectrum Assignment No. SA/02/2006 (Serial No : n.24656)" (PDF). Malaysian Communications And Multimedia Commission Official Portal. Malaysian Communications And Multimedia Commission. 26 May 2012. Retrieved 12 August 2017.
- "[Insider] U Mobile-Maxis 2G Domestic Roaming starting October". www.malaysianwireless.com. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "[Insider] U Mobile customers can now roam on Maxis 2G network". www.malaysianwireless.com. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U Mobile aims to double postpaid subscribers". The Edge Markets. 2017-05-17. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- "U MOBILE AND SUN LIFE MALAYSIA ENTERS INTO TELCO-ASSURANCE PARTNERSHIP MAKING MOBILE SERVICE PROVIDER FIRST TO OFFER LIFE MICROINSURANCE". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- Surin, Murugiah (10 April 2007). "MiTV to offer 3G service in 2H". The Edge Daily. Archived from the original on 21 November 2007. Retrieved 10 October 2007.
- "KTF, NTT DoCoMo to invest $200 mln in Malaysia U Mobile". Reuters. Mon Dec 03 02:11:37 UTC 2007. Retrieved 2017-11-06. Check date values in:
- "U Mobile Launches its Post Paid Service – U38 Plan". 15 April 2008. Retrieved 17 April 2008.
- "KT Freetel will sell 16.5% of its stake in U Mobile". Bloomberg. Retrieved 19 April 2009.
- "U Mobile Roaming with Maxis or Celcom?". www.malaysianwireless.com. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "Maxis share its 3G network with U Mobile". www.malaysianwireless.com. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U Mobile-Maxis 3G Network Partnership now Live". www.malaysianwireless.com. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "POSITION STATEMENT REGARDING TERMINATION OF U MOBILE'S CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER ON 31 AUGUST 2013". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U MOBILE BRINGS FASTER, UNLIMITED MOBILE INTERNET EXPERIENCE THROUGH ITS 4G LTE SERVICES". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U MOBILE BAGS "BEST DATA SERVICE PROVIDER" AWARD AT PC.COM'S 13TH READER'S CHOICE AWARDS!". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U MOBILE ANNOUNCES APPOINTMENT OF NEW SENIOR MANAGEMENT ROLES". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U MOBILE AND EDOTCO INK STRATEGIC AGREEMENT FOR NETWORK EXPANSION". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U MOBILE INKS PACT WITH ZTE AND HUAWEI TO FURTHER STRENGTHEN ITS NETWORK FOR BETTER CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- TeleGeography. "U Mobile calls on ZTE for 3G/4G network optimisation and expansion". www.telegeography.com. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U Mobile partners with ZTE & Huawei for the deployment of 2,000 new Base Station". www.malaysianwireless.com. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U MOBILE HITS 2 MILLION NEW CUSTOMERS TARGET AHEAD OF TIME". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U Mobile Targets 2 Million New Customers In Vision 2 Million". www.mobile88.com. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "FOUR CROWNING GLORIES FOR U MOBILE'S EXCELLENCE IN CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U Mobile bags 4 Frost & Sullivan Excellence Awards for best customer experience". www.malaysianwireless.com. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "TM & U MOBILE INKS COLLABORATIVE DEAL FOR NEXT-GEN BACKHAUL™ SERVICES". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "TM U MOBILE INKS COLLABORATIVE DEAL FOR NEXT-GEN BACKHAUL SERVICES". www.tm.com.my. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U Mobile to use TM Next-Gen Backhaul services to accelerate 4G LTE rollout". www.malaysianwireless.com. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U MOBILE SIGNS MoU WITH ZTE ON 5G NETWORK INNOVATIONS". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "ZTE and U Mobile Announce Partnership on 5G Mobile Network Research in Malaysia - ZTE Corporation". wwwen.zte.com.cn. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- Aruna, P. "U Mobile and ZTE to develop 5G networks - Business News | The Star Online". Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "YMM SULTAN IBRAHIM INCREASES STAKE IN U MOBILE". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "Johor Sultan raises stake in U Mobile". The Rakyat Post. 19 December 2015.
- "U MOBILE SDN BHD ALLOCATED 2X5MHz OF 900MHz & 2X15MHz OF 1800MHz". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "Spectrum: U Mobile has been allocated 2x5MHz of 900MHz & 2x15MHz of 1800MHz". www.malaysianwireless.com. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U MOBILE SCORES A BRACE WITH CO-SPONSORSHIP AGREEMENT FOR SUPERBEST POWER PIALA FA AND LIGA PREMIER MALAYSIA". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U MOBILE SCORES A BRACE WITH CO-SPONSORSHIP AGREEMENT FOR SUPERBEST POWER PIALA FA AND LIGA PREMIER MALAYSIA". MP & Silva. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "U Mobile Partners With SACOFA sdn Bhd To Accelerate Network Expansion In Sarawak". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- "WiFi Calling". U Mobile. 2017-02-13. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- "U MOBILE ROLLS OUT 4G LTE ADVANCED NETWORK COVERAGE IN KOTA BELUD". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- "Notice of Termination: RAN Share Agreement with Maxis". U Mobile. Retrieved 2017-11-06.