Valentín Fuster Carulla
Valentín Fuster Carulla
20 January 1943
|Parent(s)||Joaquín Fuster, Father|
|Relatives||Marquess of Carulla, grandmother|
Joaquín Fuster, brother
He is Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology (JACC), past President of the American Heart Association, past President of the World Heart Federation, Editor-in-Chief, Journal of the American College of Cardiology  and has been a member of the US National Academy of Medicine and Member of the European Horizon 2020 Scientific Panel of Health. In 2016 he co-chaired, with Jendayi Frazer, the Advisory Committee on The Role of the United States on Global Health.
Fuster serves as Director of Mount Sinai Heart and Physician-in-Chief of The Mount Sinai Hospital, and Director of the Zena and Michael A. Wiener Cardiovascular Institute, the Marie-Josée and Henry R. Kravis Center for Cardiovascular Health, and the Richard Gorlin, MD/Heart Research Foundation Professor at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
He serves in Madrid as the General Director of the National Centre for Cardiovascular Research (CNIC) and also chairs an international project, the SHE Foundation (Science for Health and Education). In 2014, King Juan Carlos I of Spain granted him the title of Marquis for his "outstanding and unceasing research efforts and his educational outreach work".
Life and career
Fuster was born in Barcelona, Spain. He is the son of a psychiatrist and his brother is a neuroscientist. In Spain he competed in tennis at a national level. Pedro Farreras Valentí, the author of the widely used Spanish textbook Farreras-Rozman Internal Medicine, encouraged Fuster to study cardiology.
Fuster graduated first in his class with an MD from University of Barcelona1967. He completed an internship at the Hospital Clinic in Barcelona, then attended University of Edinburgh Medical School for a PhD on the role of platelets in myocardial infarction.
Fuster served as a Research Fellow in Cardiology at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh from 1968 to 1971 After completing his PhD in 1971 from the University of Edinburgh Medical School. Fuster spent several years at the Mayo Clinic, first as a resident and later as Professor of Medicine and Consultant in Cardiology. In 1981, he became head of cardiology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine. From 1991 to 1994, he was Mallinckrodt Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and Chief of Cardiology at the Massachusetts General Hospital. He returned to Mount Sinai in 1994 as Director of the Zena and Michael A. Wiener Cardiovascular Institute and in 2006 named the Director of Mount Sinai Heart.
Fuster serves as physician-in-chief and Director of Mount Sinai Heart, the Zena and Michael A. Wiener Cardiovascular Institute and the Marie-Josee and Henry R. Kravis Center for Cardiovascular Health. He is also the Richard Gorlin, MD/Heart Research Foundation Professor at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. Fuster was the President of Science, and is now the General Director of the Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares Carlos III (CNIC) in Madrid, (Spain).
Fuster was elected editor-in-chief at the Journal of the American College of Cardiology in 2014. Former positions include President of the American Heart Association, past president of the World Heart Federation, member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences where he serves as Chair of the Committee on Preventing the Global Epidemic of Cardiovascular Disease, former member of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Advisory Council, and former Chairman of the Fellowship Training Directors Program of the American College of Cardiology. He has thirty-four university Honorary Doctorates. According to Google Scholar, his peer-reviewed publications, as of 2020, have been cited 319,356. His h-index is 209 and i10-index is 1,206.
Honors and awards
- 1992 Andreas Gruntzig Award of the International Society of Interventionalists (Paris)
- 1993 Distinguished Scientist Award, American College of Cardiology
- 1996 Principe de Asturias Award of Science and Technology, Fundacion Principe de Asturias, Oviedo, Spain 
- 2001 James B. Herrick Award, Council of Clinical Cardiology of the American Heart Association
- 2005 2009 Distinguished Researcher Award, Interamerican Society of Cardiology
- 2008 Polzer Prize, European Academy of Science and Arts 
- 2011 The LeFoulon Delalande Grand Prize, Institute of France, Paris, France
- 2012 AHA Research Achievement Award, Los Angeles, CA
- 2014 Made Marquess of Fuster in the Spanish nobility by King Juan Carlos I.
- 2017 Knight Grand Cross of the Civil Order of Alfonso X, the Wise
- 2020 Prince Mahidol Award in Medicine
Contributions in translational medicine
Fuster’s contributions for disease-to-health transitions encompass five phases leading to 4 guidelines Class I:
1980s: Demonstrating the role of platelets in coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) occlusion based on imaging studies in dogs, and a pioneering trial of aspirin in human atherothrombotic disease.
1990s: Demonstrating that acute coronary events arise from small plaques, explaining their unpredictability, and developing diagnostic MRI imaging to characterize these “vulnerable plaques” and inhibiting post coronary angioplasty (PCI) fibrosis in pigs by Rapamycin, prompting the introduction of drug-eluting stents (DES) to prevent PCI restenosis.
2010s: To improve poor medication adherence, as observed in FREEDOM and other studies, a fixed-dose polypill (aspirin, ramipril and statin) was developed, the first approved for secondary prevention in 40 countries.
2015 to present (2021): Established the predictive value of identifying atherosclerotic burden by noninvasive imaging (3D ultrasound, EBCT, PET, MRI) and genetics in 4 studies of 11,000 asymptomatic adults. Thus, in collaboration with the producers of Sesame Street television, conducted randomized studies of 3,000 children, 2,000 parents and 300 teachers in Colombia, Spain and Harlem (New York). Sixty hours of health education over six months showed a significant impact on knowledge, attitude, habits and weight within three years.
- Hurst's the Heart Manual of Cardiology, 12th Edition by Robert O'Rourke, Richard Walsh and Valentin Fuster (Jan 27, 2009) ISBN 0-071-84324-8
- The Heart Manual: My Scientific Advice for Eating Better, Feeling Better, and Living a Stress-Free Life Now by Valentin Fuster (Feb 2, 2010) ISBN 0-061-76591-0
- The AHA Guidelines and Scientific Statements Handbook (Fuster, The AHA Guidelines And Scientific Statements Handbook) by Valentin Fuster (Jan 6, 2009)
- Atherothrombosis and Coronary Artery Disease by Valentin Fuster, Eric J. Topol and Elizabeth G. Nabel (Nov 8, 2004)
- Platelets in Thrombotic and Non-Thrombotic Disorders Pathophysiology, Pharmacology and Therapeutics Paolo Gresele, Clive P. Page, Valentin Fuster, Jos Vermylen Hardback (ISBN 9780521802611)
- Thrombosis in Cardiovascular Disorders [Hardcover] Valentin Fuster (Author), Marc Verstraete (Author)
- Update on Coronary Risk Factors, An Issue of Medical Clinics of North America [Hardcover] Valentin Fuster, MD, PhD (Author), and Jagat Narula
- La Ciencia de la Salud: Mis consejos para una vida sana (Spanish Edition) by Valentin Fuster (Dec 26, 2007) ISBN 8-408-06620-X
- Cardiovascular Thrombosis: Thrombocardiology and Thromboneurology [Hardcover] Marc Verstraete (Author), Valentin Fuster (Author), Fuster (Author)
- La ciencia y la vida/ Science And Life (Spanish Edition) [Paperback] Valentin Fuster (Author), Jose Luis Sampedro (Author)
- [Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance: Established and Emerging Applications [Hardcover] Albert Lardo (Author), Zahi Fayad (Author), Nicolas Chronos (Author), Valentin Fuster (Author)
- La pequeña ciencia de la salud [Perfect Paperback] Valentin Fuster (Author)
- Monstruos supersanos [Perfect Paperback] Valentin Fuster (Author)
- La cocina de la salud by Valentín Fuster / Ferran Adrià / Josep Corbella (2010)
- La vostra salute mi sta a cuore [Perfect Paperback] Josep Corbella Valentín Fuster
- La buona cucina della salute. La ricetta di un famoso chef e di un grande medico per vivere bene senza rinunce [Perfect Paperback] Valentin Fuster, Josep Corbella Ferran Adrià (Author)
- El Círculo de la motivación [Planeta de Libros] Valentín Fuster con la colaboracíon de Emma Reverter ISBN 1-697-11266-8
- The Vulnerable Atherosclerotic Plaque: Understanding, Identification and Modification [Hardcover] Valentin Fuster (Editor)
- Evolving Challenges in Promoting Cardiovascular Health by Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences Editorial Staff, Valentin Fuster (Editor) May 2012, Paperback
- Assessing and Modifying the Vulnerable Atherosclerotic Plaque by Valentin Fuster (Editor) with William Insull Jr., MD June 2002, Hardcover
- Oxidative Stress and Cardiac Failure by Marrick Kukin (Editor), Valentin Fuster (Editor) October 2002, Hardcover
- Platelets in Hematologic and Cardiovascular Disorders: A Clinical Handbook [Hardcover] Paolo Gresele (Editor), Valentin Fuster (Editor), Jose A. Lopez (Editor), Clive P. Page (Editor), Jos Vermylen (Editor)
- Promoting Cardiovascular Health in the Developing World: A Critical Challenge to Achieve Global Health] [Paperback] Committee on Preventing the Global Epidemic of Cardiovascular Disease: Meeting the Challenges in Developing Countries (Author), Institute of Medicine (Author), Valentin Fuster (Editor), Bridget B. Kelly (Editor)
- Syndromes of Atherosclerosis: Correlations of Clinical Imaging and Pathology [Hardcover] Valentin Fuster (Editor)
- Efficacy of Myocardial Infarction Therapy [Hardcover] Valentin Fuster (Editor)
- Editor-in-chief of Nature Reviews Cardiology, April 2009
- "Dr Valentí Fuster". Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Valentin Fuster". Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Spain Honors Valentin Fuster, MD, PhD, of The Mount Sinai Medical Center". Mount Sinai. 25 Jul 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- Mellado, Ana (25 Jul 2013). "Valentín Fuster. el guardian de la salud de las estrellas". Diario ABC. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Dr Valentin Fuster". Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "About | Journal of the American College of Cardiology". www.jacc.org. Retrieved 2020-11-12.
- "American Heart Association To Honor Valentin Fuster, MD, PhD at Long Island Heart and Stroke Ball – American Heart Association – Eastern States". easternstates.heart.org. Retrieved 2020-11-12.
- "JACC (Journal of the American College of Cardiology) Editorial Board". Elsevier. Archived from the original on 7 August 2016. Retrieved 3 September 2021.
- "Register of Commission expert groups and other similar entities". ec.europa.eu. Retrieved 2021-08-25.
- "Prominent cardiologist Valentin Fuster to lead global health committee". www.cardiovascularbusiness.com. Retrieved 2021-08-25.
- "Doctor Profile", Mount Sinai Hospital retrieved May 13, 2015
- Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculare"Fuster Carulla, Valentín". Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 3 September 2021.
- Fúster, Valentin (2010), "[Science, health and education: a priority and a model]", Archivos de Cardiologia de Mexico, 80 (4): 261–271, PMID 21169091
- "BOLETÍN OFICIAL DEL ESTADO" (PDF). BOE (in Spanish). Retrieved August 25, 2021.
- "'El origen de la libertad está en la corteza cerebral'". ELMUNDO (in Spanish). 2014-06-30. Retrieved 2020-10-28.
- O'Rourke, Robert (2006). "ValentÍn Fuster". Clinical Cardiology. 29 (12): 556–557. doi:10.1002/clc.20038. PMC 6654763. PMID 17190182.
- Pedro Farreras (1876-1955). Ciencia Veterinaria, nº 473, publicado el 10 de junio de 1955 Consultado el 30 de noviembre de 2016.
- "Las ocho claves para vivir mejor". BBVA Aprendemos juntos (in Spanish). Retrieved 2020-10-28.
- Fuster, V. (2000-07-01). "Valentin Fuster, MD, PhD: a conversation with the editor1". American Journal of Cardiology. 86 (2): 182–197. doi:10.1016/S0002-9149(00)00940-1. ISSN 0002-9149. PMID 10913480.
- "VALENTIN FUSTER, M.D., PH.D. Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). Mount Sinai. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- O'Rourke, R. A. (2006). "Valentin Fuster". Clinical Cardiology. 29 (12): 556–557. doi:10.1002/clc.20038. PMC 6654763. PMID 17190182.
- "About the CNIC". Spanish National Center for Cardiovascular Health. Retrieved November 12, 2020.
- "Valentin Fuster Carulla", CNIC retrieved March 12, 2013
- "Editor-in-Chief Biography". Journal of the American College of Cardiology. Retrieved 3 September 2021.
- Fuster, Valentin (2006). "Passing the Torch". Journal of the American Heart Association. 100 (2): 106. doi:10.1161/01.CIR.100.2.106. PMID 10402436.
- "Biography - Past President". World Heart Federation. Archived from the original on 11 August 2016. Retrieved 3 September 2021.
- Wood, Shelley (2000). "Valentin Fuster Elected to Institute of Medicine". HeartWire.
- "Committee on Preventing the Global Epidemic of Cardiovascular Disease: Meeting the Challenges in Developing Countries", CNIC retrieved March 12, 2013
- "Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) Final Report", NHLBI Archived 2008-10-01 at the Wayback Machine retrieved March 12, 2013
- "Valentin Fuster". scholar.google.es. Retrieved 2021-05-20.
- "barrio sésamo: monstruos supersanos". Sesame Workshop. Archived from the original on 29 December 2018. Retrieved 3 September 2021.
- "Valentin Fuster Honored with Grand Prix Award", TheHeart retrieved March 21, 2013
- "Previous Years Distinguished Scientists", American Heart Association retrieved March 21, 2013
- "Valentin Fuster - Technical & Scientific Research 1996", Fundacion Principe de Asturias retrieved March 21, 2013
- "James B. Herrick Award for Outstanding Achievement in Clinical Cardiology", American Heart Association Archived 2013-02-04 at the Wayback Machine retrieved March 21, 2013
- "IASC Presents Valentin Fuster with the Distinguished Researcher Award", Newswise retrieved March 21, 2013
- "Valentin Fuster Biography", CNIC retrieved March 13, 2013
- "Valentin Fuster". Institut de France. Grands Prix des Fondations. 2015-04-21. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "New York City scientist wins American Heart Association award for major additions to knowledge of artery disease process, treatments", American Heart Association retrieved March 12, 2013
- Royal Decree 967/2017, 3rd november retrieved November 18, 2017
- "Announcement of the Prince Mahidol Award 2020 Laureates". thailand.prd.go.th. Retrieved 2020-11-12.
- Fuster, V.; Dewanjee, M. K.; Kaye, M. P.; Josa, M.; Metke, M. P.; Chesebro, J. H. "Noninvasive radioisotopic technique for detection of platelet deposition in coronary artery bypass grafts in dogs and its reduction with platelet inhibitors". Circulation. 60 (7): 1508–1512. doi:10.1161/01.cir.60.7.1508. ISSN 0009-7322. PMID 315282.
- Chesebro, J. H.; Fuster, V.; Elveback, L. R.; Clements, I. P.; Smith, H. C.; Holmes, D. R.; Bardsley, W. T.; Pluth, J. R.; Wallace, R. B.; Puga, F. J. (1984-01-26). "Effect of dipyridamole and aspirin on late vein-graft patency after coronary bypass operations". The New England Journal of Medicine. 310 (4): 209–214. doi:10.1056/NEJM198401263100401. ISSN 0028-4793. PMID 6361561.
- Ambrose, J. A.; Tannenbaum, M. A.; Alexopoulos, D.; Hjemdahl-Monsen, C. E.; Leavy, J.; Weiss, M.; Borrico, S.; Gorlin, R.; Fuster, V. "Angiographic progression of coronary artery disease and the development of myocardial infarction". Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 12 (1): 56–62. doi:10.1016/0735-1097(88)90356-7. ISSN 0735-1097. PMID 3379219.
- Fuster, Valentin; Badimon, Lina; Badimon, Juan J.; Chesebro, James H. (1992-01-30). "The Pathogenesis of Coronary Artery Disease and the Acute Coronary Syndromes". New England Journal of Medicine. 326 (5): 310–318. doi:10.1056/NEJM199201303260506. ISSN 0028-4793. PMID 1728735.
- Fuster, V.; Fayad, Z. A.; Badimon, J. J. "Acute coronary syndromes: biology". Lancet. 353 Suppl 2: SII5–9. doi:10.1016/s0140-6736(99)90234-9. ISSN 0140-6736. PMID 10374759.
- Poon, Michael; Badimon, Juan Jose; Fuster, Valentin (2002). "Viewpoint Overcoming restenosis with sirolimus: From alphabet soup to clinical reality". The Lancet. 359 (9306): 619–622. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(02)07751-6. PMID 11867133. S2CID 41817456.
- Poon, Michael; Badimon, Juan Jose; Fuster, Valentin (2002-02-16). "Overcoming restenosis with sirolimus: from alphabet soup to clinical reality". Lancet. 359 (9306): 619–622. doi:10.1016/s0140-6736(02)07751-6. ISSN 0140-6736. PMID 11867133.
- Farkouh, Michael E.; Domanski, Michael; Sleeper, Lynn A.; Siami, Flora S.; Dangas, George; Mack, Michael; Yang, May; Cohen, David J.; Rosenberg, Yves; Solomon, Scott D.; Desai, Akshay S. (2012-12-20). "Strategies for multivessel revascularization in patients with diabetes". The New England Journal of Medicine. 367 (25): 2375–2384. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1211585. ISSN 1533-4406. PMID 23121323.
- Castellano, José M.; Sanz, Ginés; Peñalvo, José L.; Bansilal, Sameer; Fernández-Ortiz, Antonio; Alvarez, Luz; Guzmán, Luis; Linares, Juan Carlos; García, Fernando; D'Aniello, Fabiana; Arnáiz, Joan Albert. "A polypill strategy to improve adherence: results from the FOCUS project". Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 64 (20): 2071–2082. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2014.08.021. ISSN 1558-3597. PMID 25193393.
- López-Melgar, Beatriz; Fernández-Friera, Leticia; Oliva, Belén; García-Ruiz, José Manuel; Peñalvo, José Luis; Gómez-Talavera, Sandra; Sánchez-González, Javier; Mendiguren, José María; Ibáñez, Borja; Fernández-Ortiz, Antonio; Sanz, Javier (2017-07-18). "Subclinical Atherosclerosis Burden by 3D Ultrasound in Mid-Life: The PESA Study". Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 70 (3): 301–313. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2017.05.033. ISSN 1558-3597. PMID 28705310. no-break space character in
|title=at position 41 (help)
- Fernández-Friera, Leticia; Fuster, Valentín; López-Melgar, Beatriz; Oliva, Belén; Sánchez-González, Javier; Macías, Angel; Pérez-Asenjo, Braulio; Zamudio, Daniel; Alonso-Farto, Juan C.; España, Samuel; Mendiguren, José (2019-04-02). "Vascular Inflammation in Subclinical Atherosclerosis Detected by Hybrid PET/MRI". Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 73 (12): 1371–1382. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2018.12.075. ISSN 1558-3597. PMID 30922468.
- Fernández-Friera, Leticia; Peñalvo, José L.; Fernández-Ortiz, Antonio; Ibañez, Borja; López-Melgar, Beatriz; Laclaustra, Martín; Oliva, Belén; Mocoroa, Agustín; Mendiguren, José; Martínez de Vega, Vicente; García, Laura (2015-06-16). "Prevalence, Vascular Distribution, and Multiterritorial Extent of Subclinical Atherosclerosis in a Middle-Aged Cohort: The PESA (Progression of Early Subclinical Atherosclerosis) Study". Circulation. 131 (24): 2104–2113. doi:10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.114.014310. ISSN 1524-4539. PMID 25882487.
- Jaiswal, Siddhartha; Natarajan, Pradeep; Silver, Alexander J.; Gibson, Christopher J.; Bick, Alexander G.; Shvartz, Eugenia; McConkey, Marie; Gupta, Namrata; Gabriel, Stacey; Ardissino, Diego; Baber, Usman (2017-07-13). "Clonal Hematopoiesis and Risk of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease". The New England Journal of Medicine. 377 (2): 111–121. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1701719. ISSN 1533-4406. PMC 6717509. PMID 28636844.
- Peñalvo, José L.; Santos-Beneit, Gloria; Sotos-Prieto, Mercedes; Bodega, Patricia; Oliva, Belén; Orrit, Xavier; Rodríguez, Carla; Fernández-Alvira, Juan Miguel; Redondo, Juliana; Vedanthan, Rajesh; Bansilal, Sameer (2015-10-06). "The SII Program for Cardiovascular Health Promotion in Early Childhood: A Cluster-Randomized Trial". Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 66 (14): 1525–1534. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2015.08.014. ISSN 1558-3597. PMID 26429075. no-break space character in
|title=at position 42 (help)