|Institutions||Salk Institute for Biological Studies|
AB, Biology, Oberlin CollegePhD, Microbiology, University of Illinois
|Doctoral advisor||Samuel Kaplan|
|Known for||Plant hormone biology, retrograde signaling, photobiology|
Genetics Society of America Medal (2012)
Joanne Chory is an American plant biologist and geneticist. Chory is a professor and director of the Plant Molecular and Cellular Biology Laboratory, at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and an investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. She holds the Howard H. and Maryam R. Newman Chair in Plant Biology. She is also an adjunct professor in the Section of Cell and Developmental Biology, UC San Diego.
She obtained her bachelor's degree in Biology from Oberlin College, Ohio, and her PhD in Microbiology from the University of Illinois. She was a postdoctoral fellow at the Harvard Medical School in the lab of Frederick M. Ausubel. In 1988 she joined the Salk Institute as an Assistant Professor.
Honors and awards
- 2015 Elected to the American Philosophical Society 
- 2012 Genetics Society of America Medal 
- 2011 Elected Foreign Member of the Royal Society 
- 2009 Elected Foreign Associate, Académie des Sciences, France
- 2008 Member, German National Academy of Sciences
- 2006 Associate Member, EMBO
- 2005 Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2004 Kumho Award in Plant Molecular Biology 
- 2003 Scientific American 50: Research Leader in Agriculture
- 2000 L'Oreal-UNESCO Award for Women in Science
- 1999 Elected Member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences
- 1998 Elected Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 1997 Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute 
- 1995 Charles Albert Schull Award, awarded by American Society of Plant Biologists
- 1994 National Academy of Sciences Award for Initiatives in Research (1994)
Chory is interested in identifying the mechanisms by which plants respond to changes in their light environment. Light signals are required for the induction and regulation of many developmental processes in plants. She has participated in research dissecting this complex process by isolating mutations that alter light-regulated seedling development in Arabidopsis. Her work has identified mutants that are deficient in the phytochrome photoreceptors and in nuclear-localized repressors and has also revealed that steroid hormones control light-regulated seedling development. Dr. Chory's lab has been involved in the manipulation of the biosynthetic pathway for these steroids that altered the growth and development of plants and identification of the putative steroid receptor, a transmembrane receptor kinase. Her group has also contributed towards the understanding of chloroplast to nuclear retrograde signaling  and plant shade avoidance responses.
- "Professor Joanne Chory ForMemRS". The Royal Society. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- "Joanne Chory". biology.ucsd.edu. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- "Joanne Chory". Salk Institute for Biological Studies. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- "Joanne Chory elected to the American Philosophical Society - Salk Institute - News Release". www.salk.edu. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- "Salk Professor Joanne Chory Awarded 2012 Genetics Society of America Medal". Newswise. January 20, 2012.
- Friedmann, Lynne (May 26, 2011). "Research Report: Salk scientist Joanne Chory lauded". La Jolla Light.
- "Joanne Chory Gets Kumho Award". www.cabi.org. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- "Joanne Chory, PhD | HHMI.org". Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- "Joanne Chory". www.nasonline.org. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- Chory, Joanne; Peto, Charles; Feinbaum, Rhonda; Pratt, Lee; Ausubel, Frederick (1989-09-08). "Arabidopsis thaliana mutant that develops as a light-grown plant in the absence of light". Cell. 58 (5): 991–999. doi:10.1016/0092-8674(89)90950-1.
- Pepper, Alan; Delaney, Terrence; Washburnt, Tracy; Poole, Daniel; Chory, Joanne (1994-07-15). "DET1, a negative regulator of light-mediated development and gene expression in arabidopsis, encodes a novel nuclear-localized protein". Cell. 78 (1): 109–116. doi:10.1016/0092-8674(94)90577-0.
- Li, Jianming; Chory, Joanne (1997-09-05). "A Putative Leucine-Rich Repeat Receptor Kinase Involved in Brassinosteroid Signal Transduction". Cell. 90 (5): 929–938. doi:10.1016/S0092-8674(00)80357-8.
- Susek, Ronald E.; Ausubel, Frederick M.; Chory, Joanne (1993-09-10). "Signal transduction mutants of arabidopsis uncouple nuclear CAB and RBCS gene expression from chloroplast development". Cell. 74 (5): 787–799. doi:10.1016/0092-8674(93)90459-4.
- Larkin, Robert M.; Alonso, Jose M.; Ecker, Joseph R.; Chory, Joanne (2003-02-07). "GUN4, a Regulator of Chlorophyll Synthesis and Intracellular Signaling". Science. 299 (5608): 902–906. doi:10.1126/science.1079978. ISSN 0036-8075. PMID 12574634.
- Tao, Yi; Ferrer, Jean-Luc; Ljung, Karin; Pojer, Florence; Hong, Fangxin; Long, Jeff A.; Li, Lin; Moreno, Javier E.; Bowman, Marianne E. (2008-04-04). "Rapid Synthesis of Auxin via a New Tryptophan-Dependent Pathway Is Required for Shade Avoidance in Plants". Cell. 133 (1): 164–176. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2008.01.049. PMC . PMID 18394996.
- Pedmale, Ullas V.; Huang, Shao-shan Carol; Zander, Mark; Cole, Benjamin J.; Hetzel, Jonathan; Ljung, Karin; Reis, Pedro A. B.; Sridevi, Priya; Nito, Kazumasa (2016-01-14). "Cryptochromes Interact Directly with PIFs to Control Plant Growth in Limiting Blue Light". Cell. 164 (1–2): 233–245. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2015.12.018.