Washington Township, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania
|• Total||23.74 sq mi (61.48 km2)|
|• Land||23.55 sq mi (61.01 km2)|
|• Water||0.18 sq mi (0.48 km2)|
|Elevation||518 ft (158 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||287.04/sq mi (110.83/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
18065, 18078, 18079, 18080
The population of Washington Township was 6,624 at the 2010 census.
Washington Township is the northernmost in Lehigh County. According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 23.7 square miles (61.5 km2), of which 23.6 square miles (61.0 km2) are land and 0.2 square miles (0.5 km2), or 0.74%, are water. It is drained by the Lehigh River, which separates it from Northampton County to the east, and Blue Mountain separates it from Carbon County to the north.
- North Whitehall Township (south)
- Heidelberg Township (west)
- East Penn Township, Carbon County (north)
- Lower Towamensing Township, Carbon County (tangent to the northeast)
- Lehigh Township, Northampton County (east)
- Slatington (east)
- Walnutport, Northampton County (east)
The township has a humid continental climate (Dfa/Dfb) and the hardiness zones are 6a and 6b. Average monthly temperatures in Friedens range from 27.9 °F (−2.3 °C) in January to 72.3 °F (22.4 °C) in July. 
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,588 people, 2,512 households, and 1,929 families residing in the township. The population density was 278.4 people per square mile (107.5/km2). There were 2,594 housing units at an average density of 109.6/sq mi (42.3/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 98.71% White, 0.21% African American, 0.08% Native American, 0.41% Asian, 0.24% from other races, and 0.35% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.97% of the population.
There were 2,512 households, out of which 32.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.2% were married couples living together, 7.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.2% were non-families. 18.0% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the township the population was spread out, with 22.7% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 31.4% from 25 to 44, 27.3% from 45 to 64, and 11.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 103.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $50,587, and the median income for a family was $55,332. Males had a median income of $35,340 versus $26,967 for females. The per capita income for the township was $19,980. About 3.5% of families and 5.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.0% of those under age 18 and 10.9% of those age 65 or over.
The township is served by the Northern Lehigh School District.
Washington Township is served by Pennsylvania Route 873, which crosses north-to-south from Pennsylvania Route 248 in Lehigh Gap to PA 329 in Neffs and PA 309 in Schnecksville. An important east-to-west thoroughfare is Mountain Road, which proceeds west from PA 873 in Lehigh Gap to PA 309 north of New Tripoli. LANta serves the township with bus route 325.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 14, 2017.
- "Total Population: 2010 Census DEC Summary File 1 (P1), Washington township, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania". data.census.gov. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved October 22, 2020.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.