Go-Gurt, also known as Yoplait Tubes in Canada and as Frubes in the United Kingdom, is an American brand of processed sweetened yogurt marketed to children. It is squeezed out of a tube directly into the mouth, instead of being eaten with a spoon. It was introduced by General Mills' licensed Yoplait in 1999.
Anthropologist Susan Squires claims that her ethnographic research in U.S. American families led her client to the development of Go-Gurt.
In June 2006, frubes Fizzix, a carbonated yogurt snack, was released under the Yoplait brand. This "sparkling yogurt" was originally developed by Lynn Ogden, a professor in the College of Life Sciences at Brigham Young University (BYU), in 1983. Ogden obtained a patent in 1997 and finally found an interested licensor at General Mills in 2006. BYU receives 55% of the royalties, which will go toward BYU's mentoring program and research, while Ogden receives the rest. Fizzix was available in six flavors, but appears to have been discontinued.
Outside of the U.S., Go-Gurt is sold as "Yoplait Tubes" in Canada and as "Frubes" in the United Kingdom. It was introduced in Japan as "グルト" (guruto) in March 2010. The name is a play on words as it evokes the sound of gulping a liquid and incorporates part of the Japanese transliteration of yogurt, ヨーグルト (yo-guruto). Go-Gurt is also available in Australia where they are known as "Yoplait Go-Gurt" or simply "Go-Gurt". There is also another brand available in Australia known as "Yoplait Smackers" and is aimed at young girls.
Generally, each box comes with two different flavours.
- Strawberry Splash / Berry Blue Blast
- Berry Bubblegum Bash / Blue Razzberry
- Strawberry Kiwi Kick / Chill-Out Cherry
- Watermelon Meltdown / Strawberry Banana Burst
- Rad Raspberry / Paradise Punch
- Burstin' Melon Berry / Cool Cotton Candy
- Peach (Japan)
- Peach / Blueberry (Canada)
- Raspberry / Grape (Canada)
- Strawberry / Cherry (Canada)
- Fruit Punch / Strawberry-Banana (Canada)
- Strawberry+Melon / Kaki+Lemon (Canada only, 2012)
- Atlantik (Raspberry+Blackberries) / Pacifik (Mango+Litchi) (Canada only, 2011)
- Go-Gurt Swirled: Strawberry Milkshake / Banana Split
- Go-Gurt Rush: Extreme Red Rush / Crazy Berry Bolt
- Scooby-Doo Ro-Gurt: Shaggy's Like Cool Punch / 'Rawberry
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Strawberry Riptide / Bikini Bottom Berry
- Batman: The Dark Knight: Original Flavors – Joker's Disappearing Pencil / Two-Face's Tutti Frutti
- iCarly: Cherry / Strawberry
- Wizards of Waverly Place: Cherry / Blueberry
- Strawberry Watermelon Rush / Blue Raspberry Rage
- Strawberry Lemonade Jolt / Wild Cherry Zing
- Triple Berry Fusion / Fruit Punch Charge
- Acai (mascot is Lulutub, purple-haired woman wearing a black and white dress and a pearl necklace)
- Red bayberry (mascot is Tubôôk, red-haired man wearing black and red toga)
Some specially marked packages had a form where you could send in for a Tube Chiller with 2 UPCs. Offer expired 6/3/2011.
Newer packages include a Tube Roller for rolling the tube up.
- Yoplait – Products – Go-gurt
- Susan Squires and Bryan Byrne: Creating Breakthrough Ideas: The Collaboration of Anthropologists and Designers in the Product Development Industry. 2002. 239 pages.
- BYU NewsNet – "Fizzix" Carbonated Yogurt to Hit Stores
- BYU professor creates "fizzy yogurt" – ABC4.com
- – http://www.gogurtfizzix.com/ now redirects to http://www.gogurt.com
- Yoplait frubes Smoothie – Shake Up The Fun (2005) 0:30 (USA) | Adland
- Yoplait – Products – frubes
- Prehistotubes, retrieved July 10, 2009
- Tube Chiller Commercial
- Tube Rollers HD Commercial