|Product type||Toaster pastry|
|Related brands||Toaster Scrambles|
|Previous owners||Pillsbury Company|
|Registered as a trademark in||July 28, 1992|
|Tagline||"Something better just popped up"|
Toaster Strudel is a toaster pastry brand which was originally notable for being stored frozen, due to innovations in 1980s food manufacturing processes. The pastries are convenience food, prepared simply and quickly by heating them in a toaster and then spreading the included icing packet on top of the pastry.
Owned by General Mills, Toaster Strudel is marketed under the Pillsbury brand, formerly of the Pillsbury Company. The product has found considerable success, since being deployed in 1985 as competition with Kellogg's Pop-Tarts brand of non-frozen toaster pastries. In 1994, the company launched the advertising slogan of "Something better just popped up". As of August 2013[update], the company increased the foreign branding, launching a brand ambassador character named Hans Strudel, and the new slogan of "Get Zem Göing".
Since the brand's introduction, various flavors of Toaster Strudel have come and gone, and a current list is on the manufacturer's web site. Flavors have included these:
- Apple Cream Danish
- Boston Cream Pie
- Cinnamon Roll made with Cinnabon™ Flavor
- Cream Cheese & Strawberry
- Danish Style Cream Cheese
- Strawberry -The first flavor
- Chocolate (Discontinued)
- Pumpkin Pie
A similar Pillsbury product, Toaster Scrambles, is a savory toaster pastry with meat and cheese breakfast ingredients. In 2013 two varieties were available:
- Cheese, egg and bacon
- Cheese, egg and sausage
In popular culture
- "Something Better Just Popped Up". LegalForce. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- Ramirez, Anthony (December 23, 1985). Sarah Smith, research associate. "In Hot Pursuit of High-Tech Food". Fortune Magazine (Fortune). Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- Harrison, Dan (March 1, 1998). "New Items Spur Growth of Breakfast Foods". Frozen Food Age 46 (8): 16. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "Pop Tarts vs Toaster Strudel". diff en. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "Pillsbury Toaster Strudel Reinvents Itself With "Das Strudel"" (Press release). PR Newswire. August 5, 2013. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "Pillsbury® Toaster Strudel® Pastries". General Mills. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Pillsbury® Toaster Scrambles® Breakfast Pastries". Pillsbury. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- Michaels, Lorne. Mean Girls (DVD video). Widescreen DVD collection. screenplay by Tina Fey; directed by Mark Waters; et al. Hollywood, California: Paramount Pictures Corporation ©2004. ISBN 9781415700136. OCLC 55850835. Retrieved March 28, 2013. Lay summary – Internet Movie Database.