Coimbatore Medical College
|Coimbatore Medical College|
|Type||Autonomous(academic only) institute affiliated to the Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University|
|Location||Avinashi Road, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
The college was established in 1966 after G D Naidu, an acclaimed scientist of an industrial family of the city donated the 153 acres of land to the Tamil Nadu state government under the Chief Minister K. Kamaraj.
Coimbatore Medical College Hospital
- 1908 – Foundation stone laid by Lord Ampthill, Governor of Madras
- 14.07.1909 – The hospital was inaugurated by Governor of Madras
- 01.04.1912 – The government of Madras Province took over the hospital administration from the municipality of Coimbatore
- 13.08.1959 – Golden Jubilee celebrations of district headquarters hospital, Coimbatore was iaaugurated by his excellency Sri Bishnuram Medhi, Governor of Madras, and presided by the honourable Sri Manickavelu B.A., B.L., Minister of Health and Revenue, Madras State
- 1966 – The Coimbatore Medical College was started
- 24.11.1969 – The Directorate of Medical Education took over administration of the hospital and renamed it as Coimbatore Medical College Hospital
- July 2009 – June 2010 – Centenary year of the Coimbatore Medical College Hospital
The college is located on Avinashi road, one of the arterial roads in Coimbatore city and about 5 km from Coimbatore International Airport. The college is just opposite to Coimbatore Institute of Technology and near to The Jenney Club. This part of the city has a concentration of colleges and hospitals.
Accreditation and affiliates
The Government Headquarters Hospital near the Coimbatore Railway Junction is attached to the college and has been converted to a teaching medical institution. The college was affiliated to Madras University and later was transferred to Bharathiar University. Subsequently it was affiliated to Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University.
The college has more than 30 departments with individual libraries and medical laboratories. There is a library blessed with all medical books and most journals and with internet facility.
On campus accommodation is available with three men's hostels and a women's hostel.
- Play Ground:
- 400m running track
- Central cricket pitch
- Football ground
- Facilities for field events
- Basketball court:
- With fibre boards
- Volleyball court:
- Two separate volleyball courts
- Throwball court
- Tennikoit court
- Kho-Kho court
- Large sheltered gallery overlooking the ground with a capacity of 500
- Separate toilet facilities for boys and girls
- Indoor Stadium:
- Well covered, complete with glass windows and floodlights
- Two separate badminton courts
- One table tennis board
- Separate room for chess and carom
Annual Intra-College sports meet is conducted in a grand scale
The college offers Preclinical courses and Elective Postings.The main course being the MBBS.
- Degree Courses: M.D General Medicine
- M.S. Courses: M.S. General Surgery
- Diploma Courses: D.G.O, D.C.H, D.A,
- M.Ch. Courses: M.Ch. Paediatric Surgery
- Para Medical Courses: Diploma in Nursing, Diploma in Pharmacy.
Some of the physicians who have been associated with the institution are:
- Dr. D.S.Venugopal, M.D.,A.B.I.M.( USA ), Associate Professor & Associate Vice-Chair, Dept. of Medicine, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, U.S.A., Asst.Chief of Medicine,Tennessee Valley Health System,Nashville, Tennessee,U.S.A.
- Dr. Palanivelu MCh - surgical gastroenterologist, specializes in laparoscopic surgery.
- Dr. Chandrashekhar - gastroenterologist, specializes in endoscopy and management of liver disease.
- Dr.P.Govindaraj- vascular surgeon
- Dr.M.Ramalingam M.S., M.Ch., D.NB(Uro), Urologist & Andrologist, Professor of Urology, PSG hospital, Coimbatore
- Prof. V. G. Ramesh, M.Ch., D.N.B.(Gen. Surg & Neurosurg) - Neurosurgeon at Chennai; formerly Professor of Neurosurgery, Institute of Neurology, Madras Medical College, Chennai; Presently Professor & HOD of Neurosurgery, Chettinad Hospital & Research Institute, Chennai.
- Dr. S. Boopathy Vijayaraghavan - radiologist and sonologist, Coimbatore.
- Dr.SK.Thirunavukkarasu-Health IT Consultant,Deputy Director-HMIS Govt of Tamil Nadu,H&FW department,Chief Information Officer for eGCP-Health MMP,Govt of India
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (April 2009)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Coimbatore Medical College.|
- The Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University
- Bharathiar University
- Universities in Coimbatore
- University of Madras
- Medical and Dental Colleges in Coimbatore