Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
|Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham|
|Motto||Shradhavaan Labhathe Jnaanam|
|Motto in English||The earnest aspirant gains supreme wisdom|
|Chancellor||Mata Amritanandamayi Devi|
|Vice-Chancellor||P. Venkat Rangan|
|Campus||Amritapuri, Coimbatore, Bangalore, Kochi, Mysore|
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham or Amrita University is a multi-campus, multi-disciplinary research university in India. The University is accredited 'A' by NAAC and is ranked as one of the best research universities in India. The university is spread across nine hundred acres campuses in the three states of South India in Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. The University Headquarters is at Ettimadai in a 800 acres well-planned campus with scenic beauty near the foothills of the Western Ghats, about 22 km from Coimbatore City. Extensive interaction between all campuses is made possible through the Amrita-ISRO satellite network for e-learning.
The university continuously collaborates with the top US universities including Ivy league universities and top European universities for regular student exchange programs. The university offers bachelors, masters, and doctoral degree programs in computer science, engineering, business, biotechnology, nanotechnology, ayurveda, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, dentistry, social work, communication, education, and basic sciences. Areas of specialization which include Medical Informatics, Computational Engineering, Cyber Security, Clinical Research, and Oncology have been designed keeping in mind India's National Development Plans. 13,000 students are enrolled in nearly a 100 different degree programs.
- 1 Administration
- 2 History
- 3 Campuses
- 4 Schools
- 5 Campus activities
- 6 Research
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Inspired by the Chancellor, many noted academicians from all over the world have left high-profile careers elsewhere to join Amrita University. Amrita Alumni Association or A3 is the umbrella association for the alumni of Amrita University.
The two campuses, amritapuri and Ettimadai, started as computer training centres and slowly evolved into colleges, christened as Amrita Institute of Technology (AITEC). The AITEC, Amritapuri was affiliated to the University of Kerala and AITEC, Ettimadai was affiliated to the Bharathiar University. In 2002, the two colleges were rechristened as Amrita School of Engineering when the Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham was born.
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham has five campuses, with the headquarters in Ettimadai, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. It has four other campuses, namely Amritapuri and Kochi campuses in Kerala and Bangalore and Mysore Campuses in Karnataka. The university is also planning to open up new campuses in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, Bhubaneswar, Orissa, Hyderabad & Vishakapatnam (Vizag) in Andhra Pradesh and one in New Delhi.
Amrita Schools of Engineering
The Amrita School of Engineering at Ettimadai, Coimbatore predates Amrita University. In 1994, when it was established, it became the first Amrita institution for higher education. In 2008, the School celebrated its 13th Institution Day. In a survey of nearly 1500 AICTE-approved engineering colleges in India, Outlook (magazine) ranked the Amrita School of Engineering as 21st among private engineering colleges. Considering placements alone, the School received the 11th rank.
The three Schools of Engineering altogether has the following departments
- Aerospace Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
The three schools altogether offer various B.Tech, M.Tech and PhD degree programs and the Kochi campus offers M.Tech in Nanotechnology.
Amrita School of Business
The school offers a fully residential two-year MBA degree program. In addition, it offers a dual degree program leading to an MS in information technology and MBA in collaboration with State University of New York at Buffalo, for working professionals at the Bangalore campus. Faculty members have degrees from B.A's, B.B.A's and reputed foreign universities such as University of California, Berkeley, Cornell University, NYU Stern School of Business, University of Texas at Austin, and Kellogg School of Management. Outlook (magazine) ranks this school as 27th among Business Schools in the nation.
Amrita Schools of Arts and Sciences
The schools offer Bachelor of Commerce (BCom), Bachelor of Business Management (BBM), Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA), Master of Computer Applications (MCA), Master of Science (MSc) in Computer Science and information technology degree programs.
Amrita Healthcare Campus
Attached to the Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Center, a 1300-bed super-speciality hospital in Kochi that aims to provide the "best medical care regardless of the patient's ability to pay", is the University's healthcare campus. The Amrita Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Dentistry are all located on this campus. They respectively offer MBBS, Bachelor of Science (Nursing), undergraduate/graduate Pharmacy programs, and Bachelor of Dental Surgery degree programs.
The School of Medicine also offers a large number of graduate programs including MSc in various disciplines, Diplomate of National Board (DNB), and PhD. In 2008, the first batch of MBBS students graduated with A. P. J. Abdul Kalam presiding over the graduation ceremony. Outlook (magazine) ranks the School of Medicine as 8th in the nation.
Amrita School of Pharmacy
The Amrita School of Pharmacy was established in 1997 and is located on the Health Sciences Campus of Amrita University at Kochi, Kerala, India. The School is recognized by the Pharmacy Council of India (PCI) as well as the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). The School runs various didactic programs at undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral levels including:
A. Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm.) which is a 4-year professional program geared towards Industrial Pharmacy
B. Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) which is a 6-year professional program geared towards Clinical and Hospital Pharmacy
C. Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharm.) which is a 2-year professional Masters program with choice of three different specializations as follows
D. Doctor of Pharmacy, Post-Baccalaureate [Pharm.D.(PB)] which is a 3-year professional program for lateral entry into fourth year of Pharm.D. for candidates who have already completed B.Pharm.
E. Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) which is a professional doctoral program in the Pharmaceutical Sciences with research on cutting-edge interdisciplinary areas of interest of the university's internationally qualified faculty members, including 35 core faculty members in various disciplines in addition to several adjunct clinical faculty from the super-specialty AIMS hospital on the same campus.
The Amrita School of Pharmacy has state-of-the-art research infrastructure that blends with the excellent teaching standards that make the School one of the most reputable institutions in South India. Candidates pursuing M.Pharm. at this School after qualifying for the Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test (GPAT) receive monthly stipends from AICTE.
Amrita School of Ayurveda
Amrita School of Biotechnology
The school started in September 2004 and offers BSc and MSc in Biotechnology, BSc and MSc in Microbiology, and MSc in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, as well as the PhD degree programs. In the span of eight years, it has established itself as an academic institute with reasonable research activities in different areas of biotechnology by around twenty five core faculty members and seven adjunct/visiting faculty members with diverse academic backgrounds making the school as truly interdisciplinary in nature
Amrita School of Communication
The School offers (BA and MA) degree programs in Communication. The course helps prepare students for careers in journalism, new media/animation, short film making and advertising, and is modeled on UNESCO guidelines. Amrita University was one among the first Indian Universities to adopt the UNESCO model curriculum.
Website : http://amrita.edu/ascom/index.php
- ACM-ICPC is held annually in the month of December at Amritapuri and Ettimadai campuses under ACM's Amritapuri Chapter. It is the only university in India to host this event other than IIT-Kanpur and IIT Kharagpur.
- Infosys Campus Connect
- Amrita is a part of Infosys Campus Connect Program undertaken by Infosys.
- IEEE has a chapter in Amrita for enhancing the skills of students in the areas of Electrical, Electronics and Computer Science Engineering.
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham plays hosts to two national tech-fests, Anokha and Pragati in Ettimadai Campus and Vidyut in Amritapuri Campus in addition to numerous inter-department tech-fests across all five campuses.
The competitive Amrita Engineering Entrance Examination (AEEE) is conducted to find the best of talents in and outside India.
Centers of Excellence
The Centers for Digital Health and Digital Earth participate in telemedicine projects to bring specialized healthcare to rural India. The Centre for E-learning develops the software and infrastructure needed, eventually aimed at helping bring distance learning to village clusters.
International symposiums organized by the centers include the Healing Across Cultures Symposium in 2007 organized by the Center for Environmental Studies. Products developed include Amrita MiTrans made at the Amrita Research Labs (ARL) to facilitate delivery of high bandwidth information to moving vehicles to help with flight scheduling, location tracking and other content delivery. ARL has filed for a patent for this product.
The earliest research projects were initiated in partnership with Indian Government Organizations such as Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), the Department of Science and Technology (DST), the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), and the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC). The Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC), which helps promote industry-university collaborative research provided funding to start two research centres, in Biomedical Engineering and Cybersecurity, respectively.
In 2005, an MoU was signed with many Ivy League United States universities to "bring world-class technical education to India".[dead link] As part of this agreement, nearly a hundred professors from these universities have taught short-term and full-semester courses in Amrita University. These courses were made available not only to students at the five campuses of Amrita University, but also to other participating colleges from across the nation. The use of open courseware developed at universities such as Yale and MIT is also made available through this consortium to universities all over India In 2008, as part of the European Research and Education Collaboration with Asia (EURECA), faculty and students from Amrita University will have the opportunity to conduct research at any of the nine partner European universities. Funding will be provided by the European Union.
- Recently, the university received an 'A' grade for its academic excellence from National Assessment and Accreditation Council as per the new grading system for the next five years. "A B-school leveraging education and spirituality". The Wall Street Journal, livemint.com. 24 August 2008. Archived from the original on 14 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Amrita Varsity Launches Satellite Network". The Hindu. 17 May 2004. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "International partner universities of Amrita University". Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Erasmus Mundus exchange programs with European universities.". Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Prism". American Society for Engineering Education. 1 October 2007. Archived from the original on 17 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Amrita School of Engineering celebrates Institution Day". The Hindu. 8 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- "Top 35 Private Engineering Colleges". Outlook Magazine. 30 June 2008. Archived from the original on 7 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- "Placements". Outlook Magazine. 30 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- "Amrita – New York Universities Launch Joint Programs". The Hindu. 3 January 2006. Archived from the original on 22 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Top 50 B-Schools". Outlook Magazine. 29 September 2008. Archived from the original on 25 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi". Express Healthcare. 1 September 2007. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Kalam’s Charter for Doctors". Outlook Magazine. 5 February 2008. Archived from the original on 26 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Top 15 Medical Colleges". Outlook Magazine. 30 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Media Course with UNESCO Model Curriculum". The Hindu, Education Plus. 28 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Combine science and spirituality: Union Minister". The Hindu. 18 February 2007. Archived from the original on 21 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Healthcare for the Other India". Business Today. 22 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Telemedicine: Medical treatment from far, far away". McGill Daily. 10 April 2006. Retrieved 2008-09-30.[dead link]
- "Amrita University Powers e-Revolution". CXOtoday.com. 14 September 2004. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "INDIA EXPLAINED, INDIA EMPOWERED". The Indian Express. 14 August 2005. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "True Healer is an Earth Healer". The Hindu. 11 July 2007. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "System for Multimedia Information in Moving Vehicles". livemint.com Wall Street Journal. 9 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Amrita Research Develops System for Moving Vehicles". India PRwire. 8 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-30.[dead link]
- "Research Projects Get Priority Here". The Hindu, Education Plus. 1 November 2004. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Press Release". Embassy of India. 20 July 2005. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Elite Universities discover the power of online video". IBL News. 1 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-03.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.|
- Amrita University Entrance Exam 2014
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham – Official Website
- – Amrita University 2014 Exam Date