Disney XD (Canada)
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (July 2013)|
Disney XD logo
|Launched||June 1, 2011|
|Owned by||Pierre Boivin blind trust
(sale pending to DHX Media)
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
|Sister channel(s)||Disney Junior (English)
Disney Junior (French)
|Bell TV||Channel 562 (SD)
Channel 1648 (HD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 70 / 570 (HD)|
|Cogeco Ontario||Channel 99 (SD)
Channel 728 (HD)
|EastLink||Channel 130 (SD)
Channel 657 (HD)
|Rogers Cable||Channel 66 & 216 (SD)
Channel 589 (HD)
Channel 215 (VOD)
|Shaw Cable||Channels vary (SD)
Channel 264 (HD)
|Source Cable||Channel 126 (SD)|
|FibreOP||Channel 260 (SD)
Channel 505 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 652 (SD)
Channel 1562 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 9617 (SD East)
Channel 9616 (SD West)
Channel 617 (HD)
Channel 616 (HD West)
Disney XD is a Canadian English language Category B specialty channel. As with its international counterparts, Disney XD consists of live-action and animated programming aimed primarily towards males aged 6–14. It was originally founded by Astral Media as a sister to its channel Family, and launched on June 1, 2011.
In April 2009, Astral Media, through a subsidiary The Family Channel Inc., was granted approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch a television channel called Family Extreme, described as "a national, English-language Category 2 specialty programming service devoted to entertainment, humour, travel, games, science and technology. Programming will be from around the world and targeted to children aged 6 to 17 years and their families." On March 11, 2011, Astral announced it would launch Disney XD on June 1, 2011, using the Family Extreme licence. In late 2011, Astral also launched a Disney XD video on demand app for the Xbox 360 video game console.
On March 4, 2013, following the Competition Bureau's approval of Bell Media's takeover of Astral, Bell announced that it would put Disney XD, along with five other channels (Family, Disney Junior's English and French services, MusiMax and MusiquePlus) up for sale. The networks will be held in a blind trust by Pierre Boivin until they are sold. On November 28, 2013, DHX Media announced that it would acquire Disney XD and its sister networks for $170 million.
In March 2013, Disney XD launched a West coast feed of their channel, a simulcast of the East Coast feed, on Telus Optik TV.
The channel airs programs from the U.S-based Disney XD as well as its sister, Disney Channel. Programing includes sitcoms, cartoons, and movies. Several co-productions, including Marvel Universe, are noticeably absent from the channel.
List of programs broadcast by Disney XD
Programs from Family Channel
Acquired programming from Disney Channel/Disney XD (U.S.)
- Crash & Bernstein
- Fish Hooks
- Gravity Falls
- I'm in the Band
- Kick Buttowski: Suburban Daredevil
- Kickin' It
- Lab Rats
- Mighty Med
- Pair of Kings
- Phineas and Ferb
- Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja
- Wizards of Waverly Place
- Zeke and Luther
- Aaron Stone
- American Dragon: Jake Long
- Cory in the House
- The Emperor's New School
- Even Stevens
- Fantastic Four
- Iron Man
- The Legend of Tarzan
- The Replacements
- The Suite Life of Zack & Cody
- The Suite Life on Deck
- Tron: Uprising
- Yin Yang Yo!
- Bunks (film) - October 27, 2013
Disney XD HD
Disney XD HD is a high definition simulcast of the network with a 1080i resolution. It debuted on the same dates as the standard definition channels on Rogers Cable, Shaw Cable, EastLink, Delta Cable, Bell TV, and Bell Fibe TV. On December 1, 2012, Bell TV added the SD version of Disney XD.
Disney XD On Demand
Disney XD has an on demand platform on most cable and satellite systems. It is also available on the XBOX 360.
- "ASTRAL LAUNCHES DISNEY XD JUNE 1, 2011 - KIDS' SPECIALTY CHANNEL AND MULTI-PLATFORM BRAND TO DEBUT ACROSS CANADA". CNW. 2011-03-11.
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009-215 CRTC 2009-04-24
- Kate Dickson, Deborah Wilson (October 5, 2011). "Astral takes entertainment to the next level with Disney XD offering on Xbox LIVE". Canada Newswire. Retrieved December 25, 2011.
- "Disney XD and Disney Junior Commission Original Canadian Series". Daily News. Broadcaster Magazine. June 12, 2012. Retrieved July 9, 2012.
- "Bunks". Disney XD. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- Biblic, Mirko. "Re: Voting Trust Agreement between BCE Inc. and Pierre Boivin, the trustee Application No. 2013-0243-9 – Approved". CRTC. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- BCE takeover of Astral OK’d by Competition Bureau, The Montreal Gazette (via The Canadian Press), March 4, 2013.
- "DHX Media to buy Family, other children’s channels". Toronto Star. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "DHX to acquire Family Channel, three others from Bell Media". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- DisneyXD.ca - Your favourite shows on Disney XD 2012-12-29